Help for Diners Club Refugees

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Not exactly sure how long, but I had had a Diners card for something approaching 40 years and enjoyed the benefits of free travel insurance and free lounge access all over the world to such an extent I have been very lazy in following up what other lounge options there are if you haven't gained status or lost status (Ansett :eek:)..

So, as a soon to be, Diners Refugee, I am hoping for some recommendations on lounge programs that might be available that are Airline agnostic (as I am).

I have an ANZ Black Visa which gives me good insurance coverage, but soon I will lose my easy care free go-to for lounge access I do have lifetime QC membership, but that is largely only beneficial domestically and a handful of other places and only if I have a QF ticket.

Any advice on airline agnostic lounge access programs and pro-cons that don't cost the earth would be appreciated.

The two biggest to have a look at are Amex Platinum Charge Card and the Citi Prestige Card. Both have travel insurance and international lounge access akin to Diners. Key difference for Australian Domestic travels is Amex Platinum gives you Virgin Lounge access (so not airline agnostic) and Citi Prestige gives you dining credit to consume at domestic eateries (so is airline agnostic)

The two biggest to have a look at are Amex Platinum Charge Card and the Citi Prestige Card. Both have travel insurance and international lounge access akin to Diners. Key difference for Australian Domestic travels is Amex Platinum gives you Virgin Lounge access (so not airline agnostic) and Citi Prestige gives you dining credit to consume at domestic eateries (so is airline agnostic)
Thanks Graham - I'll have a look at those

Note the Amex Plat access to Virgin Lounge is on the condition that you are booked on a Virgin flight.

The PP that came with Citi Prestige is much better value given the dinning credit, but who knows how long NAB will keep this benefit going.

You'll also need to weigh up the card fee to ensure you get the best value. Citi $700 vs Amex $1450.

FWIW I applied for the HSBC Premier MC - no AF and points capped at 120Kpa - I think this will suit me. There is some lounge access with the HSBC card - might be a goer if you are or can qualify for HSBC Premier (currently $9,000/month in payments to your HSBC account - I read that you can withdraw these funds once deposited once per month to qualify).

Though I miss my DC - though the DC itself hardly saw any "action", I used the MC "companion" card as my non-AMEX.

YMMV.

Back