Haircut

Discussion in 'Playground' started by cabbage74, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. cabbage74

cabbage74 Intern

Mar 28, 2005
    Hey, I've just started the second half of my DONE4 and was wondering if any airports have decent hair dressers/barbers in them that don't cost a fortune (<$30 simple cut), or better still do any lounges give free cuts?
    I'll be
    BOM-xBKK-xHKG-xBKK-CMB
    CMB-xSIN-xHKG-xSIN-xLHR-xDXB-MCT (36.5h flying in less than 48h)
    MCT-xDXB-xLHR-IST
    IST-LHR
    LHR-SIN
    SIN-LHR
    So pleanty of time to get a cut if it is possible...
    since this is the playground feel free to post crazy styles you think I should get, otherwise I'm going to be fairly shaggy by the time I return.

Mal.

2. tanewi

tanewi Intern

Nov 30, 2005
    bkk will look after you, upstairs from memory, many signposts.

for a few extra bucks at bkk can get "the best hair-cut of your life".

:D

3. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Well, here's a couple of ideas:

Crew cut (including a detailed photo by photo change)
    Buzz Cut
    Punk Cut

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Shame you need more hair than I've got for these!

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The little hair cut booths in just about every SIN Shopping mall look pretty cool, if you have enough time to escape for a little while.

Drop your $SG10(?) into a slot and the attendant starts their work.

Never tried it but it looks quick and efficient as per everything else in SIN.

Didn't know this myself. BKK airport seems to have just about everything there hidden away.

6. Maca44

Maca44 Established Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Sydney
    I've got that little hair that $SG10 would simply be a search fee.

7. cabbage74

cabbage74 Intern

Mar 28, 2005
    Thanks guys, will give it a go at either BKK or SIN. I think that the "Punk" cut is the most likely winner :)

Mal.

8. cabbage74

cabbage74 Intern

Mar 28, 2005
    Ok, had the haircut in the Singapore booth last night. I should be on display for those coming to Oz Fest, so you can make your own opinion on it. Personally I found it interested at the end of the haircut when the hairdresser "cleaned" my hair. Never had my hair "cleaned" like this... with the upholstry brush on the end of a vacuum cleaner. Guess it gets out the little prickly bits.

Mal.

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    That sounds good, see you at OzFest III.

Now if you had the haircut in BKK airport you would have had a few extra fringe benefits. ;)

10. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well being in SIN this weekend, I decided I had to try the booths that I suggested, and cabbage74 tried.

Amazing...

Was the most efficient and value for money haircut I've had by a long shot.

It goes something like this:

Walk in the door. Put $S10 (Somewhere around $A9) into a machine and get a card. Joined the bench, where seats are numbered according to your position in the queue.

Slide down the queue as people go for their cuts.

When your in position #1, head to the next free hairdresser. Your glasses (if applicable) get put into a little tray, and on comes the cape and towel.

After a quick consultation, they start working away.

Finished off by the infamous "vacuum cleaner" treatment. I couldn't help but smirk at this point - Having your hair vacuumed is a rather unique experience.

They even give you a free comb when your cut is finished.

So yeah, for the blokes, worth a looksee next time you are in SIN. They are in a few of the big shoppings centres and go by the name "EC House" http://www.ec-house.com.sg/

Oh, and I noticed there is also one at the airport (landside, T2 just where the Skytrain stops).

11. cabbage74

cabbage74 Intern

Mar 28, 2005
    Good Report Mal.

It was actually the T2 Landside Outlet which I went to. I missed out a little as I didn't get to put my $$ into the machine as there was no que.

But yes, good value for money. And a easy location at the airport for those who are traveling.

Mal.