Grammar Discussions | Page 16 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Grammar Discussions

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Re: The totally off-topic thread

As in?

Furthermore, both should be capitalised and it is "Veuve Clicquot"
people say they drank veuve. or say 'there was no veuve in the lounge'. (or more amusingly will say something like 'there was veuve on ice in the lounge')

veuve means a widow. In slang it also means something quite different!

'Cliquot' is correct when referring to Veuve Cliquot.

robd

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Another filler in hot use with the young ones is "like". She was all, like, up in my face, like. So I told her, like, move.

Uncle BJ

One phrase/acronym which I have trouble understanding is 'IMHO': in my honest opinion. Is this not a tautology? Is it possible to have a dishonest opinion? I would understand 'in my frank opinion' but IMHO needs canning, surely.

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
I thought that was in my humble opinion.
One phrase/acronym which I have trouble understanding is 'IMHO': in my honest opinion. Is this not a tautology? Is it possible to have a dishonest opinion? I would understand 'in my frank opinion' but IMHO needs canning, surely.

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
people say they drank veuve. or say 'there was no veuve in the lounge'. (or more amusingly will say something like 'there was veuve on ice in the lounge')

veuve means a widow. In slang it also means something quite different!

'Cliquot' is correct when referring to Veuve Cliquot.
Yes I seem to see that most will "shorten" and refer to that particular Champagne as simply, "Veuve". Most will also misspell it. I guess if we really had to be pedantic, the entire house's name is Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin.

"Cliquot" is spelt incorrectly - it is "Clicquot". I think I've done that myself a couple of times, too (lucky I don't drink it more often, otherwise I might just misspell it more often, too).

I guess while we are at it, to tie back more directly to the topic, Champagne is the proper way to spell that word, not champagne. If you are strict, the only Champagne in existence must come from that region of France and is both a proper noun for the location as well as the said drink. From any other region, it is sparkling wine, irrespective of what people make it out to be. The lowercase use of the word is used as a "slang" by these regions (e.g. American champagne, or Russian champagne); it can also be used to refer to things which are of the yellow-like colour (e.g. champagne watermelon).

Another filler in hot use with the young ones is "like". She was all, like, up in my face, like. So I told her, like, move.
Argh... sometimes I find myself doing that. Not sure where I picked it up from, but it's not good!

Seems to be more popular amongst females, though.

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Ah, you are one of those people who have heard too many start a statement with, "To be honest...." :)

I think what was meant to be said was, "To be blatantly honest...". Maybe more ideal would be, "Let me be brutal...", or, "I'll be blunt..."

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
If you spend any time in Canberra you hear quite a lot of sentences start with, " Frankly ...." and you just know they are going to tell porkies w' a straight face.

Ah, you are one of those people who have heard too many start a statement with, "To be honest...." :)

I think what was meant to be said was, "To be blatantly honest...". Maybe more ideal would be, "Let me be brutal...", or, "I'll be blunt..."

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
A pet hate of mine is when Americans (or anyone, but they often seem to be the culprits) spell it QUANTAS...

Katie

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Just to keep the ball rolling, this thread title is "Grammar Discussions", but is it?
Many comments are on style, spelling, punctuation, and dialect differences ... Not too many sentence tree diagrams needed!

AFF on Air Podcast

• HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sydneyairporttransport