Grammar Discussions | Page 14 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Grammar Discussions

robd

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Have these been mentioned? Guy at work does these a lot -

- herd instead of heard and roll instead of role.

Warks

Established Member
"from whence" instead of "whence"
Whence = from where.

Thence = from there.

Hence = from here.

Indicator boards (and announcements) on stations in Sydney used to say "Burwood, Strathfield thence all stations to Hornsby". Now thence has been replaced by 'then' in announcements and on signs.

Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Who's going to the movies? Answer (these days) is often, "me and Jane". When surely it should be, 'Jane and I' (are going to the movies) which simply sounds so much more considerate and polite.

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Who's going to the movies? Answer (these days) is often, "me and Jane". When surely it should be, 'Jane and I' (are going to the movies) which simply sounds so much more considerate and polite.
And then the overcorrection when 'I' is used all the time, such as "The tickets were for Jane and I", which should be "The tickets were for Jane and me"

Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Although, I do actually like 'unflammable'. *grin*.

flammable vs inflammable (vs unflammable *grin*)
Having just returned from the US, I often feel a warm inner glow that they are able to use 'fewer' correctly whilst we say 'less' than. And, they use 'may' as in, 'may I?' whilst most people here say, 'can I?' when they should say may.

And, whilst I am on a roll, how about the pronunciation of 'roofs'. (Hint, it isn't rooves. Horses hooves yes, rooves - no)

SeatBackForward

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Although, I do actually like 'unflammable'. *grin*.

Having just returned from the US, I often feel a warm inner glow that they are able to use 'fewer' correctly whilst we say 'less' than. And, they use 'may' as in, 'may I?' whilst most people here say, 'can I?' when they should say may.

And, whilst I am on a roll, how about the pronunciation of 'roofs'. (Hint, it isn't rooves. Horses hooves yes, rooves - no)
More like your pet Rufus?

I always note that Americans like to over complicate their words. The classic I always refer to is the use of "momentarily" instead of "soon", as in "our flight will be landing momentarily".

Warks

Established Member
On 'definately' - the EyeFone autocorrect must now be changing this to 'defiantly' as that word is showing up in the 'definitely' context with no rhyme or reason.

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
"I could care less". I reckon that, even though it is wrong, it's actually more powerful than " I couldn't care less".

Don't get me started on fanny packs.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SueH