Grammar Discussions | Page 101 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Grammar Discussions

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
i am not sure if this has been covered, but misuse of That, Which and Who is really annoying me.

Inanimate objects (things) can be that , or which , but People are who.
Eg. I have a friend that went to my old school , should read "who" went to my old school.
A way to decide whether to use 'that' or 'which':

'That' describes; 'which' defines.

'Which' tends to be commonly used for both.

Happy Trails

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Two-step verification offers you an extra level of security, by helping to ensure your account isn’t accessed without your authority. You may be asked to provide a one-off, randomly-generated secure code when you login to your account. This will be sent to the mobile phone number you have registered with us, so please make sure all your details are up to date. Alternately, you can answer three out of four security questions.

https://www.qantaspoints.com/about/qff-member-security

andye

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Two-step verification offers you an extra level of security, by helping to ensure your account isn’t accessed without your authority. You may be asked to provide a one-off, randomly-generated secure code when you login to your account. This will be sent to the mobile phone number you have registered with us, so please make sure all your details are up to date. Alternately, you can answer three out of four security questions.

https://www.qantaspoints.com/about/qff-member-security
Works every other time then

GPH

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Tongue in cheek maybe. However we have lots of instances where "rules" are made up by one or a few. Sport is a good example.
Rules help define and refine our ability to communicate clearly, and concisely.
I read an article the other day where it was suggested that "Grammar Nazi's" were on average more intelligent than those who don't bother with good grammar and spelling etc. Far be it from me to pass judgement on that one. :).

Last edited:

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Nice little tongue in cheek opinion piece for our local custodians of the English grammar.

The 'rules' of grammar are made up, so why bother following them? - RN - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This is the grammatical equivalent of taking the post-modernist questioning of truth to an absurd extreme.
Just because all knowledge is subjective doesn't mean there is no objective truth.
Take physics for example. All our experience of physics is subjective. But we all share essentially the same subjectivity so it might as well be objective.
Newtonian physics worked until we expanded our empirical data - and hence our subjectivity - to the sub-atomic and interstellar levels.
Then we needed a new approach (quantum mechanics, Heisenberg, Einstein etc). But Newtonian physics still "works" within the lmiits of everyday human experience or subjectivity.
This is in stark contrast to the "social sciences" where we all have a different subjective position and it is not easy (or even possible) to determine objective truth.
That doesn't mean there is no objective social reality.

Similarly just because grammatical rules are arbitrary doesn't mean they are without function or value.
Language is arbitrary. There is no necessary relationship between words and their meaning.
Those relationships are only established through usage.
You can decide to use a word to mean something else entirely, but no one else will understand you if you do.
Similarly you can ignore the "rules" of grammar if you want to, but you risk being misunderstood if you do so recklessly.
However if you generally observe the rules, deliberately breaking them can be used for literary effect.

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Grammar shaming the POTUS.

I would posit that if the POTUS was right here to hear you criticising his grammar, he would bite your head off, viz. same argument as most that why should mere grammar be the judgement of a person cf. what they have to say.

That looks like more a weird typo than a grammar stuff up.

I think the whole autocorrect thing on phones is affecting younger students and their grammar when they switch to full size keyboards on computers etc.. For example, I watched a couple of students today type and not even bother to correct some pretty glaring spelling errors. Had they typed the same words on iOS with autocorrect turned on, those typos would likely be corrected successfully by the system.

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
I think the whole autocorrect thing on phones is affecting younger students and their grammar when they switch to full size keyboards on computers etc..
Not just young students. I'm struggling as I've been relying on autocorrect far too long.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Had they typed the same words on iOS with autocorrect turned on, those typos would likely be corrected successfully by the system.
IOS with auto incorrect would also have converted some correct spellings into typos.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Try it if you use your iphone for more than one language.
The custom dictionary becomes a corrupted mess of (in my case) "espafranglais".

TheRealTMA

Established Member
Try it if you use your iphone for more than one language.
The custom dictionary becomes a corrupted mess of (in my case) "espafranglais".
Whenever I type "looking fwd to it" on iPhone, it autocorrects to "Loki fed to it"

TheRealTMA

Established Member
Now what, exactly, does this mean... how does one join them? Head to tail, or...
493AD928-CC29-4D1E-A975-DB0F38BEADA4.jpg

GPH

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
When did we decide that (in Australia) **** was spelt ass?

AFF on Air Podcast

• Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul86