Girlfriend using my Qantas frequent flyer points | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Girlfriend using my Qantas frequent flyer points

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphtoo

Newbie
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
2
:D

Hi All,

My girlfriend (of over 2 years) from Spain is coming out to Australia this year and I would like to travel with her using my Qantas frequent flyer points. I have enough points for the both of us to travel (economy) from here in Perth to Brisbane.

My question is does anyone know how Qantas handles this type of thing. I have read in their conditions that "partner" is counted as a relative, but does a girlfriend qualify and if so will there be any requirement by me to prove to Qantas the level of your relationship in any way (ie: addresses etc, etc).

This is probably a fairly common question, but I would be extremely interested to know what anyone knows about this subject.

Cheers
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,938
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
ralphtoo said:
:D

Hi All,

My girlfriend (of over 2 years) from Spain is coming out to Australia this year and I would like to travel with her using my Qantas frequent flyer points. I have enough points for the both of us to travel (economy) from here in Perth to Brisbane.

My question is does anyone know how Qantas handles this type of thing. I have read in their conditions that "partner" is counted as a relative, but does a girlfriend qualify and if so will there be any requirement by me to prove to Qantas the level of your relationship in any way (ie: addresses etc, etc).

This is probably a fairly common question, but I would be extremely interested to know what anyone knows about this subject.

Cheers
I could be wrong with this but I don't believe there would be a problem. Why not ring QF FF and ask them :?: If you don't get the answer you want try again later as different staff seem to give different answers :!:

:twisted: :D
 

redrat

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
226
Well you might ring them to find out. They don't have to know who is calling.
On the other hand you can claim her as a first cousin or something. QF will accept either your address or another address to send the tickets to and the booking will appear against your internet booking where your ff number is the same but your friend's name will be on the booking.
Having done this a few times, the process is problem free. Just get your story right and you're home free :D
 

dajop

Senior Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
9,646
Flights
My Map
Just ring up and book, or even better book online. When they ask you what relationship she is to you just say "partner", which is after all the truth. I do this for my partner, and have never had a problem.
 

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
I agree. I have booked flights for my Girlfriend and later for my Fiance (same person) and had no issues with either situation.

Regards
Daniel

PS: If you are worried, just say that she is your Fiance. There is no way to easily prove or disprove this.
 

ralphtoo

Newbie
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
2
Girlfriend using Qantas frequent flyer points

:D :D :D

Big thanks for the replies to my question :D .

I guess this is one of those tricky situations where the wording in the conditions section is somewhat vague.

My major problem here was that I didn't want to book this and then turn up at the airport and have her ticket refused, thus ending the trip and losing my points.

Cheers
 

sully

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2003
Messages
238
I would have thought the bigger problem was making out that your partner was your fiance........and her finding out about it.

Sounds like a proposal by default. Any money you save on using FFs could be more than taken up by the cost of the engagement ring!!!
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
16,002
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
From the Qantas FF Handbook:

10. Redeeming Points

10.1 General

10.1.1 Awards are subject to capacity controls and availability is limited. Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Frequent Flyer Partner Airlines and Frequent Flyer Partner Services limit the number of seats/rooms/vehicles and other products or services available to Members at their absolute discretion. These depend on the flight, date, season and destination and some flights may not have any Awards seats available. Once Award seats are filled there may be no more Award seats available. Seats for Award travel are booked in special classes of service. If the class of service applicable to the Award is not available, another flight, date or destination must be selected. You must not reserve a seat in an incorrect class of service.

10.1.2 Members will be personally liable for any and all costs, taxes, charges, claims or liabilities of whatever nature (including without limitation all ticket taxes) arising from the provision or availability of any Awards or Benefits whether these are provided by Qantas, a oneworldTM Alliance Airline or by a Frequent Flyer Partner Airline or Frequent Flyer Partner Service.

10.1.3 It is the responsibility of each Member to keep track of any and all redemptions made against their account and ensure that sufficient Points are held in credit to cover any unticketed Award Flights or services. Members must report any unauthorised Award claims from their account within 12 months of the occurrence. Corrective action cannot be taken after that time.

10.1.4 You may assign any Award you earn through Qantas Frequent Flyer to any member of your family covered in the list below. However, there may be tax implications on such a transfer for Australian taxpayers and you will need to consider clause 10.1.5 below. Your eligible family members may use the Award whether you travel with them or not. Award tickets issued for a member of your family must be in the name of the passenger travelling.


Husband/Wife
Parents/Step-parents
Domestic Partner/Defacto
Children, includes foster and step-children
Brothers/Sisters
Half Brothers/Sisters
Grandparents
Grandchildren
Sons/Daughters-in-law
Brothers/Sisters-in-law
Fathers/Mothers-in-law
Uncles/Aunts
Nephew/Nieces
First Cousins


Now, having said that, why don't you join your girlfriend to QF FF, using your address as hers (thus seen as domestic partners). I never had any problem using points for my girlfriend, later fiancee, now wife.
 

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
Sounds like a trend here.

First girlfriend, then fiance and then wife.

You might want to reconsider taking your girlfriend overseas. :)

Regards
Daniel
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
16,002
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Yes, it can be a problem, particularly when you create a Business Class monster - I upgraded her on her first flight (BNE/AKL) and ever since then, she's disappointed if we're travelling down the back end. I usually get snippy comments like "What! Why weren't you able to use FF points/Tier Credits to get us upgraded?????". :shock:

Occassionally, we have been op up'ed together (BA SIN/LHR) and I show her the benefits of being a Plat member. I'm sure that's one of the main reasons she "allows" me my time on the computer to keep up to date with FlyerTalk and Australian Frequent Flyer; or the use of showers in the F lounges.

As soon as you realise that those FF points of yours are now "hers", then you're half-way to understanding.... :roll:
 

redrat

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
226
Mind you, it's cheaper than diamond rings, flowers, chocolates. You might call me cheap, but the other half really looks forward to ff paid holidays. :D
 

icemann

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
268
Sounds like the Eddie Murphy video 'RAW'.

"She wants a HALF of Johnny's money"

She'll be like :D

And you'll be like :cry:
 

Mac07

Newbie
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
2
Lindsay Wilson said:
From the Qantas FF Handbook:

10. Redeeming Points

10.1 General

10.1.1 Awards are subject to capacity controls and availability is limited. Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Frequent Flyer Partner Airlines and Frequent Flyer Partner Services limit the number of seats/rooms/vehicles and other products or services available to Members at their absolute discretion. These depend on the flight, date, season and destination and some flights may not have any Awards seats available. Once Award seats are filled there may be no more Award seats available. Seats for Award travel are booked in special classes of service. If the class of service applicable to the Award is not available, another flight, date or destination must be selected. You must not reserve a seat in an incorrect class of service.

10.1.2 Members will be personally liable for any and all costs, taxes, charges, claims or liabilities of whatever nature (including without limitation all ticket taxes) arising from the provision or availability of any Awards or Benefits whether these are provided by Qantas, a oneworldTM Alliance Airline or by a Frequent Flyer Partner Airline or Frequent Flyer Partner Service.

10.1.3 It is the responsibility of each Member to keep track of any and all redemptions made against their account and ensure that sufficient Points are held in credit to cover any unticketed Award Flights or services. Members must report any unauthorised Award claims from their account within 12 months of the occurrence. Corrective action cannot be taken after that time.

10.1.4 You may assign any Award you earn through Qantas Frequent Flyer to any member of your family covered in the list below. However, there may be tax implications on such a transfer for Australian taxpayers and you will need to consider clause 10.1.5 below. Your eligible family members may use the Award whether you travel with them or not. Award tickets issued for a member of your family must be in the name of the passenger travelling.


Husband/Wife
Parents/Step-parents
Domestic Partner/Defacto
Children, includes foster and step-children
Brothers/Sisters
Half Brothers/Sisters
Grandparents
Grandchildren
Sons/Daughters-in-law
Brothers/Sisters-in-law
Fathers/Mothers-in-law
Uncles/Aunts
Nephew/Nieces
First Cousins

Now, having said that, why don't you join your girlfriend to QF FF, using your address as hers (thus seen as domestic partners). I never had any problem using points for my girlfriend, later fiancee, now wife.
Hi Lindsay - does your girlfriend have to be a QF member? Would the fact that she is travelling with me (obviously myself being a QFF member) and I am also able to provide evidence of a de facto relationship enough?

I wasn't aware that the other family member travelling with you actually had to be a QFF member?

Would appreciate a response - thanks mate :)
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
Mac07 said:
Hi Lindsay - does your girlfriend have to be a QF member? Would the fact that she is travelling with me (obviously myself being a QFF member) and I am also able to provide evidence of a de facto relationship enough?

I wasn't aware that the other family member travelling with you actually had to be a QFF member?

Would appreciate a response - thanks mate :)
Partner, parent, cousin, whoever you choose to be travelling with from the list does not need to be a QFF member to receive an award flight. I do this occasionally for MIL to keep SO happy. MIL is not a QFF member. Have also used my points for award flights for my parents - neither of whom are QFF members.

I think Lindsay's point about joining your girlfriend was to help add weight to the de-facto status - i.e. you would both be on file as having same residential address.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,961
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Mac07 said:
Thanks Shano - exactly the answer I was after.
Succinctly answered!

BTW, Mac07, welcome to AFF. :D
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
I am just trying to work out how my company flew a whole team over rom NZ on points earned on the accountants credit card (used to pay utilities etc. for the business in NZ)...
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,827
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
I am just trying to work out how my company flew a whole team over rom NZ on points earned on the accountants credit card (used to pay utilities etc. for the business in NZ)...
Must have been for a "family reunion" ... of sorts. Well it was to New Zealand ;) .
 

SeatBackForward

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
3,780
Flights
My Map
I've used points to book award flights for my girlfriend in the past. She wasn't a FF either, so no dramas should be expected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
83,690
Messages
1,946,533
Members
51,192
Latest member
PDavis
Top