Getting status early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,551
Points
415
I am currently Gold and have sufficient paid business class bookings to get platinum.

All flights are booked in the same booking and travel has commenced so it's not refundable.

My problem is that I only get Platinum at the end of my RTW trip - it would be much more beneficial if I had it for the whole trip.

Do you think there is any chance I could get it early if I explained the situation to Qantas?
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,876
Points
855
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
odoherty said:
I am currently Gold and have sufficient paid business class bookings to get platinum.

All flights are booked in the same booking and travel has commenced so it's not refundable.

My problem is that I only get Platinum at the end of my RTW trip - it would be much more beneficial if I had it for the whole trip.

Do you think there is any chance I could get it early if I explained the situation to Qantas?

No

However if it works then let us know ASAP so I can try it myself :!:

What date do you complete your trip :?:
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,551
Points
415
end of Jan - which is annoying because Anniversary is end of Feb - so at most only get 13 months benefit (rather than up to 24)
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,124
Solutions
5
Points
1,440
odoherty said:
I am currently Gold and have sufficient paid business class bookings to get platinum.

All flights are booked in the same booking and travel has commenced so it's not refundable.

My problem is that I only get Platinum at the end of my RTW trip - it would be much more beneficial if I had it for the whole trip.

Do you think there is any chance I could get it early if I explained the situation to Qantas?

I think it unlikely, but you could always ask. They seem to be more willing to keep people at Plat level in situations like this than they are to elevate a gold member to Plat
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
odoherty said:
end of Jan - which is annoying because Anniversary is end of Feb - so at most only get 13 months benefit (rather than up to 24)
Even if you got platinum now you will only get 16 months benefit and as your status credits would be reset end of Feb you will very likely need close to 1200SC's again by next anniversary to maintain platinum.
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
17,892
Points
1,570
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Very unlikely, but never say never.

It's more likely that if you were an existing Plat member they'd comp you back to Plat early. But as a Gold now, and being your first year qualifying to Plat, they want to make sure you actually qualify to the 1,400 SC level. Believe me, that's the hardest year...

You could always pray that you get an op up to First and there is a mis-post and you get F SC's :idea:
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,461
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
I have never heard of anyone being "upgraded" to Platinum status early. Renewal, yes, upgrade no.

And just because your journey has commenced and is therefore not refundable, there would be nothing stopping you credited the rest of your flights to another FF program. So QF is no assured of you earning the SCs needed to reach Platinum status, even if you complete the current itinerary.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
NM said:
And just because your journey has commenced and is therefore not refundable, there would be nothing stopping you credited the rest of your flights to another FF program. So QF is no assured of you earning the SCs needed to reach Platinum status, even if you complete the current itinerary.

Shurely no-one would even contemplate the merest speculation of such an idea considering entering their minds :)

Dave
 

coyote25

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
1,437
Points
610
Hi everyone,

I just re-qualified as a platinum member early (ann is 30 Jan 06). I was wondering when I get my new card. Do I wait for the ann date. Previously I've always got to a new level during the year but obviously that's no longer possible at the platinum level.

Just interested as I have an international trip across Jan-Feb planned and I've never had to wait for a new card before at the same level.

Also for next year I'll be unable to deal for 5 months. I'm not going to get the 1200 SCs. I'm wondering how close I've got to get to get comp to the level again.

I've have averaged over 1400 SCs for first 3 years membership and would be at that level of travelling again after the 5 months travelling 'holiday'. ANy suggestions of luck (I know it is 1 year 3 months before this is a problem).

Coyote25
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,461
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
coyote25 said:
Hi everyone,

I just re-qualified as a platinum member early (ann is 30 Jan 06). I was wondering when I get my new card. Do I wait for the ann date. Previously I've always got to a new level during the year but obviously that's no longer possible at the platinum level.
In my experience, they review status levels about 2 months before the anniversary date. So expect the new card to arrive in the first half of December.
coyote25 said:
Also for next year I'll be unable to deal for 5 months. I'm not going to get the 1200 SCs. I'm wondering how close I've got to get to get comp to the level again.

I've have averaged over 1400 SCs for first 3 years membership and would be at that level of travelling again after the 5 months travelling 'holiday'. ANy suggestions of luck (I know it is 1 year 3 months before this is a problem).
It really depends on how generous QF are being this year. In past years they have been generous for renewals based on reduced flying due to terrorism, war, SARS etc. However, there is no guarantee the same will continue.

I was once renewed 2 months early while only at about 700 SCs, but I did make the 1200 by the end of the membership year. I don't know what the criteria used for renewal is. Some speculate they consider the average over the last few years, but not real details know in the public forum.
 

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
Points
0
I got renewed from Silver to Silver back in Jan 05 (Ann date Feb 05 and had about 40 SCs) after I told them I was planning to either work in Singapore or Sydney and be flying regularly between from Melbourne.

Both clients were 50/50 and I ended up doing the MLB-SYD-MLB trip. Currently Week 29 of 30 and Gold ATM.

Regards
Daniel
 

varyingtravel

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
32
Points
0
I'm with NM here. I was in a similar situation the first time I achieved Platinum. I was travelling return to the US. I accrued enough SC half way through the return leg. I was over there for 6 weeks with a return ticket so it would have been obvious to Qantas that I would accrue enough SC to achieve Platinum. I didn't get Platinum until my return to Aus.
Once I had platinum I have remained platinum for the last 2 years without achieving the required SC. The first renewal i think I was about 300 short during the SARS problem. This year I was 110 short when I was renewed 2 months before my anniversary date.
Who really knows.. I'm just grateful for any lucky breaks get. Mind you, I just had to cancel FF bookings for 3 people and it still costs 15000 points! You win some, you lose some...
 
G

Guest

Guest
You will never get upgraded early but almost always be downgraded late 8)
 
Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

beardoc

Established Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,644
Points
420
Qantas
Platinum
I remember United offered a prepaid travel card - if you agreed to pay US$5000 on the card, they'll give you the Premier status now. Quite handy if you were going to spend it on big overseas trips now, and will get the status from the trip to keep it going later!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,749
Messages
2,163,425
Members
54,676
Latest member
Deepak Palakurthi
Top