Frequent Flyer Program Revamp

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by munitalP, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. munitalP

munitalP Suspended

Oct 10, 2006
    4A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Again we learn through the newspapers that Qantas intend to revamp the FF program - "to improve it's service"

Spin doctoring for "screw its members even harder"

How long can my loyalty last?

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    While it may be the case that it means what you said, perhaps we should waitto see the detail of what they are proposing.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yep little worse than worrying over "The sky is falling, The sky is falling" where in fact you don't need to worry abou the sky falling in.

Any big change made will be discussed here quite a while before the changes come into effect.

Some change is good. Some change is bad. Either way, there will still be enough discussion here about any proposed change to ensure that you know the best tricks to keep value in the program.

4. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Good to see admin getting a mention in the press on this:

More here from The Australian

5. tinky

tinky Intern

Aug 2, 2006
    The following looks promising from the Australian article:

He said the airline would introduce a frequent flyer program for passengers on its discount offshoot Jetstar and offer Qantas frequent flyers access to "any seat".

But I wonder how many points "any seat" will cost?

It would be nice to be able to book any seat rather than their limited available seats on popular routes (especially for people with hundreds of thousands of points) but I hope they don't charge an exhorbitant rate for them.

6. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would think that the cost would be variable based on what fare buckets were available. Generally speaking the further ahead you book, the cheaper.

I just hope they end up with something that is resonably linear between what you could buy with $$ and what you can buy with points, unlike VirginBlue.

7. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I am guessing that they will have some normal priced seats in the current fare buckets and maybe create some new fare buckets for the extra seats that they are "releasing".

There are a lot of people with a lot of points that will gobble up the J seats to the US to burn their points...

8. turtlemichael

turtlemichael Established Member

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I can't contemplate how Qantas may manage the difference between points earned by flying and points earned by using a credit card etc. Maybe they don't see a difference ?

It would be conterproductive in terms of loyalty if people who earn by flying, or rather earn most of their points by flying, still can't get an award seat because they have been taken by card users able to plan 360 days in advance. Or maybe Qantas will only recognise loyalty via the status parts of the scheme, similar to CX, and using points will become a free for all?

Interesting times ahead. I'd suggest that if they are looking at it, it's timely to remind QF of how bad the scheme is compared with AA, *A schemes etc as Admin apparently just did.

9. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    AA however also do not discriminate between flying points and cc points when getting an award.In addition AA also count your credit card points for lifetime recognition a fact which I am taking "advantage" of.So QF is in fact more loyal to their flight point earners than AA.

10. macca172

macca172 Junior Member

Oct 31, 2005
    SYD
    I've said it before and I will say it again, the only thing Qantas has ever given away is a homing pigeon and a boomerang. If any QFF member is under the apprehension that a revamp of the program will come without cost or a reduction in current benefits, I strongly suggest you think again.

Myself, Im currently burning off my QFF points and the termination my ANZ Visa card is about to happen also.

Macca

11. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Alot of negativity.....

They are making all the right noises IMO - making any seat available etc. I have a problem with my points that alot of people here share - ****loads of them but can't use them - I'd rather pay more points (like Virgin/NZ) and get a seat anywhere!

12. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would have thought that by allowing you to buy any seat, it would make splitting off FF into a separate entity easier. After all, that entity will be buying the seats off QFF with your points, so what does it matter to them how many points were involved.

(Note that by a separate entity, this could still be one within the Qantas group)

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I would rather they left this alone. I have no problem redeeming the seats I want now so get a negative vibe that if they try to make any seat available the FF points required for the cheapest seat will increase as well.

I have no evidence to substantiate this claim but I do not like to see a scale of FF points required for different seats within the same cabin.

14. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I've spent 300,000 points this year and received everything I've asked for. :D :cool:

15. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I must admit that I have burnt about 200,000 points in the past 8 months or so on J upgrades (LAX-MEL, MEL-HKG-MEL) as well as some whY awards between MEL and BNE, so cannot really fault availability either.

16. jbc

jbc Junior Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Melbourne
    I just received a very extensive survey from EMAILCASH re QFF which took over 30 minutes, covering all imaginable options including 6pts per dollar with Jetstar. In total there were 14 possible programs, covering most possibilties raised in this thread. Leading Edge did the survey and they are legitimate.

17. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    Dont forget the 300 QFF points that will be credited to your account in about 2 weeks.

18. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Rather disappointed I did not get an invte for this survey :(

19. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    IIRC previous invites to complete a survey were sent out over a period of a few days, so don't rule yourself out as yet.

I'm not sure I'll be invited again, I made some comments about why I avoid using Jetstar wherever possible that they may not have wanted to hear.

20. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I possibly deleted this from my webmail whilst I was away. :confused: