Flights on membership anniversary date | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Flights on membership anniversary date

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsprint

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
25
Hi all

I'm travelling LHR-SYD in I on QF31 on 31st August which happens to the last day of my membership year for QFF. Date of travel not negotiable unfortunately as its a wedding I'm attending the day after arrival.

Any suggestions for having the SCs / points roll into the new membership year? Would taking my QFF number off the booking and then claiming the points/SCs after the flight help?

thanks
XS
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
There had been reports on this happening, but it seems Qantas have closed this loophole and the SC's will post to the 'year' in which the travel occurred.

So, ... no ...
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,735
Flights
My Map
The points may post the next day, and be in the next year, but you cannot really influence whether this happens or not.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Interesting question.

My experience with QF is that points post after the flight has arrived. For example when I flew on QF31 in January, I departed SYD on the evening of Sat 7th and arrived in SIN the morning of Sun 8th. Points posted to my QFF account on 8th Jan, even though the description of that flight on the account showed the departure date.

You mentioned that you were travelling LHR-SYD on QF31 - I'm a bit confused because QF31 is SYD-LHR. Which way are you travelling?

Either way, your flight will be spanning two dates so if you depart on your anniversary date, my view is that the points will credit to your account on the date you arrive, which should be in the new FF year.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
There seems to be some confusion here.

Flights get credited with an effective date of the scheduled departure date of the flight (as measured at origin). The actual crediting happens later - ranging from day of arrival for QF up to a week or 2 for partners.

For status purposes it is the effective date that matters. Here it is in the old membership year, unless the flight gets delayed into the next day.
 

xsprint

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
25
Yada Yada said:
Interesting question.

You mentioned that you were travelling LHR-SYD on QF31 - I'm a bit confused because QF31 is SYD-LHR. Which way are you travelling?

Either way, your flight will be spanning two dates so if you depart on your anniversary date, my view is that the points will credit to your account on the date you arrive, which should be in the new FF year.
Sorry quite right, the flight is LHR-SYD-LHR QF32/QF31. This means departure time of around midday from LHR which probably isn't late enough to expect the flight to post on the following day. If it was BA metal on the other hand.... a nice 24hr delay in posting of points / SCs would have been just what the doctor ordered.

Sounds like QF have a fairly relaxed approach to re-qualification so if it comes near to the end of the next membership year and I'm short on SCs I don't expect it would be difficult to have them include the flight for 're-assessment' purposes.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Kiwi Flyer said:
There seems to be some confusion here.

Flights get credited with an effective date of the scheduled departure date of the flight (as measured at origin). The actual crediting happens later - ranging from day of arrival for QF up to a week or 2 for partners.

For status purposes it is the effective date that matters. Here it is in the old membership year, unless the flight gets delayed into the next day.
It hasn't worked that way for me in the past. Some partner flights have credited a few weeks later and were posted and counted in the new membership year. Nicely helped me to requal for Gold. :cool:
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,735
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
There seems to be some confusion here.

Flights get credited with an effective date of the scheduled departure date of the flight (as measured at origin). The actual crediting happens later - ranging from day of arrival for QF up to a week or 2 for partners.

For status purposes it is the effective date that matters. Here it is in the old membership year, unless the flight gets delayed into the next day.
Not really my experience. I have had flights on the last day of the anniversary year count toward the next year as they posted the day after the flight. As I said before, my view is that the could end up in either year, but you really have no control over it.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
xsprint said:
Sorry quite right, the flight is LHR-SYD-LHR QF32/QF31. This means departure time of around midday from LHR which probably isn't late enough to expect the flight to post on the following day. If it was BA metal on the other hand.... a nice 24hr delay in posting of points / SCs would have been just what the doctor ordered.
QF32 arrives the following day in the evening, so I think you may have a decent chance of the flight posting the following day.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
Clarification

serfty said:
There had been reports on this happening, but it seems Qantas have closed this loophole and the SC's will post to the 'year' in which the travel occurred. ... So, ... no ...
My answer above was specific to the following:
xsprint said:
... Would taking my QFF number off the booking and then claiming the points/SCs after the flight help? ...
i.e. Qantas FF WILL backdate the claim when done manually.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
oz_mark and yada yada - were your experiences recent? I understand it used to work solely off date credited, but for a wee while now QFF works off effective date, which is departure date.
 

bravoecho1

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
221
2 years ago we went to Hayman Island and on the way back, even though the boat ride and flight were on the 29th of November (my anniversary is the 30th), for some reason both posted on the 1st of December and counted towards the new membership year.

Not sure how this happened but things do slip through every now and then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,976
Messages
1,895,663
Members
49,819
Latest member
MasonRuzgas
Top