Flight availability tool | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Flight availability tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
I have been using the flight availability tool recommended by NM in another post.

http://flyaow.com/classcwt.htm

I am flying BNE-SIN Dec 26 and returning 4 Jan. The available seats seem to be Cabin class: R4 J4 C4 D4 S0 Y7 B7 H4 Q0 M4 N0 K4 L4 V0 O0 for the flight out and Cabin class: R4 J4 C4 D4 S4 Y7 B7 H4 Q0 M4 N0 K4 L4 V4 O0 for the return flight.

I am travelling in V class. I have tried a few other combinations and always to seem to get maximum of 4 seats available in most classes except Y & B which have maximum of 7.

I understand that if there is a 0 next to the class then there are no seats available but if there is a number next to the class this does not tell you how many seats are availalbe but that there is at least that many seats available.

Classes C & D are business? Does the above mean that there at least 8 seats available in business?

NM any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
The number next to each fare letter is the minimum number of seats available in that fare bucket. The number seen is determined by what the airline wants your see. The number is never more than 9. Common maximums are 9, 7 and 4. So when you see these, it could mean there are 100 seats for sale in that bucket, or it could mean only 4.

I like to use the KVS Availability tool, but for the full access version you need to make a contribution to the developer of the tool. I did so and find it very helpful. And since it was a once-off payment, I don't have to keep paying is as the case with ExpertFlyer (which is another excellent tool).

Using Sabre, KVS is showing the following for QF51 26th December:

J9 C9 D9 I0 U0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 R9 L9 V4 S0

So that would imply to me that there are indeed only 4 V seats currently for sale.

For 4th Jan 2006, QF52 SIN-BNE is showing:

J9 C9 D9 I4 U0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 R9 L9 V9 S7

When you look at these numbers you have to keep in mind that fare buckets don't necessarily relate directly to specific seats. So J4 D4 means there are at least 4 business class seats available, and they are offered for sale as either J or D depending on the conditions you are willing to accept.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Thanks for your prompt response NM.

I suspected as much. Earlier I was trying to change my return date to Jan 6 or Jan 8 and was told that the class of fare purchased (V) was sold out. That does not seem to be the case. I was even prepared to pay the fee for changing the dates.

Unfortunately I am now pretty much committed to the original dates and just like to check the progress of business class availability. The A330 is only a 2 class service (correct me if I am wrong but I think only around 30-35 business class seats as well) and me being PS I would have to rely on a great deal of luck to get an upgrade.

But you never know your luck. :)
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Unfortunately I am now pretty much committed to the original dates and just like to chack the progress of business class availability. The A330 is only a 2 class service (correct me if I am wrong but I think only around 30-35 business class seats as well) and me being PS I would have to rely on a great deal of luck to get an upgrade.
The A330-300 operating QF51/52 are 2-class, with 5 rows of 2x2x2 Skybeds, making 30 seats. The sell out fast on the popular flights like SIN-BNE on a Friday night. The KVS tool shows U availability, but that doesn't help too much now that all international upgrades are waitlisted. But showing a max of 9 in the buckets gives a better idea of loads than using somethig that shows a max of 4.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
NM said:
The A330-300 operating QF51/52 are 2-class, with 5 rows of 2x2x2 Skybeds, making 30 seats. The sell out fast on the popular flights like SIN-BNE on a Friday night. The KVS tool shows U availability, but that doesn't help too much now that all international upgrades are waitlisted. But showing a max of 9 in the buckets gives a better idea of loads than using somethig that shows a max of 4.
Yes NM it is a very popular flight and business class does sell fast.

I am not expecting an upgrade, just wishful thinking. I have 23B pre-allocated for both flights which is a pretty good for me. I am not tall but can stretch my legs and don't have to worry about someone reclining their seat in my face.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Is it possible to find out which seats have been pre-allocated on an international flight that I am not booked to fly on.

I may need to fly for work at short notice but I can have a choice of 2-3 days which I can depart. I would like to know before booking the flight which flight would give me the best chance of a decent seat. Any flying would be in cattle class.

I know we can access view trip for flights where we have a reservation number but this is not the case for my situation. Again the flight availability tool is not suitable as I don't want to know if their are available classes but rather which seats are available?

Is this possible? Appreciate any help.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Is it possible to find out which seats have been pre-allocated on an international flight that I am not booked to fly on.
... Is this possible? Appreciate any help.
JohnK, you could try doing a dummy booking for the flights and time using The CX ITN booking engine, then using the select seats option. Do not go any further.

This won't work if there are 1) CX aircraft plying the route in question (unless you are looking for CX flights), nor 2) if you are within a week or so of travel or 3) the carrier has blocked pre-allocation.
edited for gramma, clarify three options.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
The KVS availability tool that I use has the ability to make a dummy booking through to the seat allocation point so you can see the seat map. However, be aware that Qantas (and many other airlines) close off seat pre-allocation when they reach a certain threshold of cabin allocated (perhaps 30%, varies by airline and aircraft and cabin). After that, only elite FF members can have seats pre-allocated and the rest are done at checkin time.

So the closer you get to the travel date, the higher the probability that the seat pre-allocation limit has been reached and the pre-allocations closed off from the on-line systems. In that case the only option is make the booking and then call the airline if you hold FF status with them. Most airlines, including Qantas, will allow seat allocations at the time the booking in made even if the ticket has not yet been issued.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
serfty said:
JohnK said:
Is it possible to find out which seats have been pre-allocated on an international flight that I am not booked to fly on.
... Is this possible? Appreciate any help.
JohnK, you could try doing a dummy booking for the flights and time using The CX ITN booking engine, then using the select seats option. Do not go any further.

This won't work if there are CX aircraft plying the route in question (unless you are looking for CX flights), nor if you are within a week or so of travel or the carrier has simply blocked pre-allocation.
Thanks serfty.

Most flights I have tried come up with blank. Error appears "Flights are not available or may be sold out. Please click the back button on your browser to adjust dates."

I have tried flights 1 month from now, i have tried flights 3 months from now. No luck.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
NM said:
The KVS availability tool that I use has the ability to make a dummy booking through to the seat allocation point so you can see the seat map. However, be aware that Qantas (and many other airlines) close off seat pre-allocation when they reach a certain threshold of cabin allocated (perhaps 30%, varies by airline and aircraft and cabin). After that, only elite FF members can have seats pre-allocated and the rest are done at checkin time.

So the closer you get to the travel date, the higher the probability that the seat pre-allocation limit has been reached and the pre-allocations closed off from the on-line systems. In that case the only option is make the booking and then call the airline if you hold FF status with them. Most airlines, including Qantas, will allow seat allocations at the time the booking in made even if the ticket has not yet been issued.
Thanks NM.

Explains why I draw blanks when trying to use the tool.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
... Explains why I draw blanks when trying to use the tool.
JohnK, If you have specific flights in mind, PM me and I'll see what I can find out for you.
 

infoworks

AFF Supporter
Joined
Aug 11, 2002
Messages
377
I use the KVS tool and it is great!

I have clients who use Carlson Wagonlit as their travel organiser and my experience to date has been they are fairly hopeless, so would have little faith in their tool, but will have a fiddle with it!
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
infoworks said:
I use the KVS tool and it is great!

I have clients who use Carlson Wagonlit as their travel organiser and my experience to date has been they are fairly hopeless, so would have little faith in their tool, but will have a fiddle with it!
Carlson Waginlit are a very large global travel company. I am not sure I would be drawing a conclusion about their tools based on their local corporate travel staff competence. Their applications programming people seem to be very good from my experience.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
serfty said:
JohnK said:
... Explains why I draw blanks when trying to use the tool.
JohnK, If you have specific flights in mind, PM me and I'll see what I can find out for you.
Thanks serfty.

I didn't have any specific flights in mind. Just tried a few of them at random to see what availability is like and how the KVS tool performed.

Then I tried my flights QF51 BNE-SIN 26th Dec and QF52 SIN-BNE 4th Jan. I know I have confirmed seats for these flights but just wanted to check cabin availability. The flight is still ~3 months away but maybe it has to do with the pre-allocation being closed. Not sure.
 

QF WP

Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,719
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Then I tried my flights QF51 BNE-SIN 26th Dec
Looks like we'll be at BNE Intl almost at the same time. We leave on QF175 at 12.10pm (might be a little early for you as you leave at 1.40pm). Well, that's a small world. An AFF get-together perhaps :idea: .
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Lindsay Wilson said:
JohnK said:
Then I tried my flights QF51 BNE-SIN 26th Dec
Looks like we'll be at BNE Intl almost at the same time. We leave on QF175 at 12.10pm (might be a little early for you as you leave at 1.40pm). Well, that's a small world. An AFF get-together perhaps :idea: .
Hey Lindsay it is a small world. I am flying SYD-BNE domestic at 8:00am and will be in Brisbane at 8:30am. I was going to kill some time by having a few drinks before 1:40pm flight.

I would be a good idea to have an AFF get-together. We can meet in one of the bars at the airport as I am not a QP member unless you can take guest inside QP.
 

QF WP

Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,719
Flights
My Map
JohnK, I may be able to get you into the (small) QF First lounge; but more likely we can meet in the Business lounge (as I'm QF Plat and can get two in without drama, even if the lounge dragons are in a bad mood as my wife is AA Plat, she'll go in on her own card).
 

parsonstrish

Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
670
what does each class refer to

Can someone point me in the direction to find out what each class means? I'm picking up some understanding from this discussion but still confused?
thanks, trish
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Lindsay Wilson said:
JohnK, I may be able to get you into the (small) QF First lounge; but more likely we can meet in the Business lounge (as I'm QF Plat and can get two in without drama, even if the lounge dragons are in a bad mood as my wife is AA Plat, she'll go in on her own card).
Strictly speaking, only one guest for a Plat at International lounges - 2 guests at domestic lounges. But as you say, Mrs LW get J lounge access in her own right anyway, and the J lounge in BNE is still quite good, with a more open/airy feel and better views.

But surely on boxing day you are not going come across a lounge agent in a bad move :roll: . Just use your usual charm and I am sure you will be right :wink: .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,620
Messages
1,884,883
Members
49,502
Latest member
fatherlee
Top