First couple of months of Platinum Seating Experience | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

First couple of months of Platinum Seating Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmsol

Intern
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Hi,
After being platinum for a few months I am still doing lots of MEL-SYD and MEL-CBR flights but noticed that I no longer have much window seat choice on a 767-300 flight.
When I was Gold, I have quite a few choices at 5:15am on the QF400 to SYD, but now I usually only get one choice from 26K or 27K - and it is often the one with no window. Comming back same day, often with a bording pass sequence number of 1, I can usually choose 26A, but again with very little choice, and often without much of a window.

Has this happend to anyone else? Will it be a passing thing, so I can eventually sit in 23A/K or 24A/K?

I have 110SCs to Partner Gold. Does anyone think it may help when I reach PG?

Cheers,
Paul.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
FWIW, 27A/K are considered a premium window seat on most QF 763's. This due to the wall being available to prop a pillow against. ...
 

rpmsol

Intern
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
I can see why they may be considered premium positions, but I just like to look out the window..... never get tired of it.

I also find it impossible to guess if 26A or 27A has the 'missing' or 'part' window.

What I suppose I was trying to comment on was the lack of choice, even if I am one of the first to print a bording pass. When I was Gold, with a sequence number of 1, I could typically choose 36A/K, 37A/K, 38A/K, 39A/K.... but now just get the one option, in that section of the plane. (I think that 55A/K and back were still available though.)

Could it be that a set of 'Gold' seats are reserved for the 'Gold' pax, and I can't impinge on them?
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
rpmsol said:
I can see why they may be considered premium positions, but I just like to look out the window..... never get tired of it.

I also find it impossible to guess if 26A or 27A has the 'missing' or 'part' window.

What I suppose I was trying to comment on was the lack of choice, even if I am one of the first to print a bording pass. When I was Gold, with a sequence number of 1, I could typically choose 36A/K, 37A/K, 38A/K, 39A/K.... but now just get the one option, in that section of the plane. (I think that 55A/K and back were still available though.)

Could it be that a set of 'Gold' seats are reserved for the 'Gold' pax, and I can't impinge on them?
Pretty doubtful that they are reserving seats for Gold FF's. My experience is that I get absolutely no preferred seating, ever.

My impression is that you need to ask if you want to sit somewhere specific.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
rpmsol said:
Has this happend to anyone else? Will it be a passing thing, so I can eventually sit in 23A/K or 24A/K?
If I remember correctly 23AB and 23JK are the bassinet seats. You would have to ask for these seats at check-in as I do not think you would be able to allocate them using quick check.
 

rpmsol

Intern
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
Yada Yada said:
Pretty doubtful that they are reserving seats for Gold FF's. My experience is that I get absolutely no preferred seating, ever.

My impression is that you need to ask if you want to sit somewhere specific.
I feel foolish asking you to check if your preferences are visible online. A went the first few weeks on Silver without even realizing that I can set my preferences online.

If the preferences don't seem to work, maybe you could try changing them to something very different, and see what happens!
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
rpmsol said:
I feel foolish asking you to check if your preferences are visible online. A went the first few weeks on Silver without even realizing that I can set my preferences online.

If the preferences don't seem to work, maybe you could try changing them to something very different, and see what happens!
Yes, I have set my preferences online. I used to have "forward aisle" and while I always got an aisle seat it was never forward. Well, it was forward of the back row but not by much. I've now changed it to "forward window" so I will see what happens next week on my PER-SYD flight.

I've tried to use my remaining UC's to get into business class and while there are currently 5 empty J seats, they are not available to me. It certainly does not encourage me to fly Qantas. I would have flown on DJ but they had no seats at all. :(

Thankfully, my preferences always work on international flights (upper deck window).
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
Yada Yada said:
It certainly does not encourage me to fly Qantas. I would have flown on DJ but they had no seats at all. :(
Thankfully, QF comes to the rescue again. ;)
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
JohnK said:
Thankfully, QF comes to the rescue again. ;)
Yes indeed. :(

Well here is an opportunity for them to show some loyalty and encourage me into flying with them in 2007. Simply let me use my upgrade credits on this flight - there are empty J seats available right now and I've paid full economy fare, so it's not like it is going to cost them much.

I'm quite serious - if they don't, I'll consider cancelling my business class flights (QF5/6) in December and fly with SQ or MH instead. :!:
 

rpmsol

Intern
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
53
I've been allocated 23K for the last 2 out of three flights on a 767-300, so it may have been a passing thing after all??
 

petershannon

Newbie
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
4
rpmsol said:
Hi,
After being platinum for a few months I... noticed that I no longer have much window seat choice on a 767-300 flight.
.. but now I usually only get one choice from 26K or 27K - and it is often the one with no window.
Has this happend to anyone else? Will it be a passing thing, so I can eventually sit in 23A/K or 24A/K?

Cheers,
Paul.
I have been Platinum for several years and still get regularly the no-window 'window seat'. For about 5months I got EVERY time 29k SYD-MEL Returns. Somehow, I dont think these seats are recognised as a no-window, and I have no idea on seat allocation chosen by the system.:confused:

I don't think it will get any better.

Try talking to Q. I went to ASP this week and got 2nd last row. After discussion with checkin couter after arrival, on the return flight I was in 4K on return so it can be done.;)
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
Firstly petershannon, welcome to AFF.

As I posted previously, on 763's 'no-window' window seats are considered premium; especially for long haul.

As a fellow QF WP; it's interesting you are after window seats (obviously) have that in your profile).

Did you try the On Line Checkin as implemented but Qantas late last weekwhen you went to ASP. You can check in and select seats when making most bookings on JQ.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,735
Flights
My Map
petershannon said:
I have been Platinum for several years and still get regularly the no-window 'window seat'. For about 5months I got EVERY time 29k SYD-MEL Returns. Somehow, I dont think these seats are recognised as a no-window, and I have no idea on seat allocation chosen by the system.:confused:
It must be noted somewhere. I have a forward aisle selection, and when I get the 767, the QP staff have sometimes moved me to the aisle seat of the no window row, and blocked the (no window) window seat off.
 

bluRider

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
17
Do you think Qantas has something (bug or feature!) in their autoalloation program that gives you the same seat? ... I think I've had 10C or 10D consistantly the last 3-4 times I've flown between BNE and PER in a 737.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,735
Flights
My Map
bluRider said:
Do you think Qantas has something (bug or feature!) in their autoalloation program that gives you the same seat? ... I think I've had 10C or 10D consistantly the last 3-4 times I've flown between BNE and PER in a 737.
Not sure, but I do know I always seem to get 22C on the PER-SYD/MEL 743 flights. (Now for sure, on my next flight I will be sitting somewhere else :) )

And 23B was a biggy for me on the 332 flights.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
oz_mark said:
And 23B was a biggy for me on the 332 flights.
If booking early enough I mainly get 23B or 23J on the A330's!
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
If booking early enough I mainly get 23B or 23J on the A330's!
OT: But a little note about Seats 23A/K on 333's.

Even though these seats are bulkhead, with the tray table in the armrests; there is a bit more comfort to be had for those amongst us who are laterally challenged as the armrest under the window actually lifts up giving up to another 10 cm of room.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
serfty said:
OT: But a little note about Seats 23A/K on 333's.

Even though these seats are bulkhead, with the tray table in the armrests; there is a bit more comfort to be had for those amongst us who are laterally challenged as the armrest under the window actually lifts up giving another 10 cm of room.
Good point. Thanks for the information serfty, definitely something to consider for next flight.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,735
Flights
My Map
oz_mark said:
Not sure, but I do know I always seem to get 22C on the PER-SYD/MEL 743 flights. (Now for sure, on my next flight I will be sitting somewhere else :) )
It worked! It moved me! 22H :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,978
Messages
1,895,689
Members
49,820
Latest member
Dajan
Top