First/business classic award release for Bronze FF | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

First/business classic award release for Bronze FF

shib71

I have seen threads pointing out that the higher class awards are released to lower status members later than economy seats, but didn't see anything about the timing. So here is a little anecdata for everyone: I (proud Bronze QFF) just booked my first First flight on Qantas for 5 September 2018 - about 310 days away.

I settled for LAX-MEL-SYD when I couldn't find any LAX-SYD. Strangely I found that the call centre staff couldn't see the award seats I found on the Qantas website, and I ended up having to talk to someone from the local Sydney office to get them.

Last edited:

NoName

Established Member
I'm also bronze and also rarely see any J/F cabin awards on QF metal. This is where having some family Gold & Platinums has been invaluable for me.

Dr Ralph

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I have seen threads pointing out that the higher class awards are released to lower status members later than economy seats, but didn't see anything about the timing. So here is a little anecdata for everyone: I (proud Bronze QFF) just booked my first First flight on Qantas for 5 September 2018 - about 310 days away.

I settled for LAX-MEL-SYD when I couldn't find any LAX-SYD. Strangely I found that the call centre staff couldn't see the award seats I found on the Qantas website, and I ended up having to talk to someone from the local Sydney office to get them.
What class did you book?

Flights
My Map
Looking further into this, I think the OP is onto something here. I just did some searches for J seats from MEL-SIN and BNE-SIN from a bronze account, and there are quite a few award seats available for flights up to 308 days in advance. Beyond the 308 day mark though, there are no J seats on any QF flights to SIN whatsoever.

cjd600

Established Member
As NB I have had luck with F and J between 300-310 days, since it seemed to dry up at 353 about 18 months ago

rooboy68

I've also noticed the award seats become available when your only looking a week or two ahead. Maybe there's a magic number at the other end?

van

Never had any problem booking reward seats as long as I was flexible with dates. I have booked with QF and CX in business recently no problems. I am LTS with QF.

RobJ

Not quite the same subject, but be very wary of QF's rewards points specials. Having just received an invitation to take up a reduced points offer in the near future, I made a dummy booking for one of their examples: Sydney - Christchurch. The "special" was 128 000 points plus $1076 fees. I then made a dummy booking for January, where a full-price trip was available for $499 return, earning points rather than spending them.

Flights
My Map
Not quite the same subject, but be very wary of QF's rewards points specials. Having just received an invitation to take up a reduced points offer in the near future, I made a dummy booking for one of their examples: Sydney - Christchurch. The "special" was 128 000 points plus $1076 fees. I then made a dummy booking for January, where a full-price trip was available for $499 return, earning points rather than spending them.
Sorry, but I have no idea how you got that price for Sydney-Christchurch in economy.

For a return SYD-CHC reward booking, the price I'm seeing is 25,200 points + $207.02 fees.

GoldCanyon340

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
That’s more like the points and co-payment for SYD-LHR in J.

Sorry, but I have no idea how you got that price for Sydney-Christchurch in economy.

For a return SYD-CHC reward booking, the price I'm seeing is 25,200 points + $207.02 fees.
view airfare in points rather than cash? or a points plus pay, if the economy fare was high.

A family member did the same thing... paid over 250,000 for a J return across the Tasman. Until I cancelled it!!

A friend paid over 200,000 points for a return to Santiago. Until they mentioned it to me... cancelled what they had and with the same points flew one way business and the other economy (no availability one way in J)

So it is possible to rack up huge award prices.

Their example was for 5 adults.

From Sydney to Christchurch in Economy return on Qantas for 5 adults, now 126,000 Qantas Points (was 180,000 Qantas Points) plus AU$1,035 taxes, fees and carrier charges*.​

geoffshaw

Is someone who isn't a NB able to check SIN-MEL J reward availability for the week of the 23rd of October? It's the last leg we need for our 2x 280k award and it's stressing me not being able to know what is available :(:(

Flights
My Map
Is someone who isn't a NB able to check SIN-MEL J reward availability for the week of the 23rd of October? It's the last leg we need for our 2x 280k award and it's stressing me not being able to know what is available :(:(
Here you go:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 10.59.51 AM.png

There is currently availability for 2xJ seats (for Gold members, anyway) on the following flights:
22/10 - QF36 & QF38
23/10 - QF38
28/10 - QF38

bismarck

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I am seeing availability for 2 on QF38 on 23rd as a WP

upload_2017-11-29_11-4-7.png

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ge9