Finnair Business RTW or DONE 4 Ex Japan

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Bundy Bear, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear Established Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Planning on going to Europe and the USA(Dallas) in November so have been looking at different options on how to get there.

DONE 4 ex Australia is a major rip off but the same thing starting from Tokyo is a little bit cheaper; well lots; Yen 780,000(AUD 7,800) versus $AUD10,136.

Getting an award seat to Japan isn't so difficult, but then you got to ring America to get an itinerary, then ring Japan and give them your credit card.

So while searching around Cheap flights, accommodation, holiday packages, hire cars - travel.com.au found this airfare on offer. Finnair RTW

The Finnair price at $6999 plus tax isn't so bad. You only get around 700 SCs where a properly planned DONE 4 can get you almost double the SCs.

When travel.com.au first started they listed the fare rules so you could work out what flights you could or couldn't fly.

The DONE 4 fare rules I read about lots so I know them fairly well. Thanks AFF.

Seems like flying RTW in economy gets some nice miles but hardly any Status Credits for all that flying.

Any idea where I can find the complete fare rules for this Finnair RTW. Finnair.com seems next to useless. Anyone flown Finnair.

2. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    Yes, I flew this fare last June. MEL-HKG-HEL-LED-LHR-HKG-MEL. You are only allowed 5 stops. However if only wanting to go to Europe it is the cheapest J [actually D] option. The flights are all oneworld. You must include an asia flight on Finnair, otherwise BA, QF etc.
    We used AY from HKG to HEL.
    There J service is on a par with BA and QF except for movies, sub-standard.

3. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I assume from this that you could fly extra legs up to ?? many, however only 5 stops as you said. If this is the case it still should pan out OK.

4. alect

alect Member

Jun 20, 2006
    MEL
    Have you considered DONE4 ex-TPE - it's cheaper than NRT and almost everywhere else in Asia nowadays.

5. Keith009

Keith009 Established Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Brisbane / Sydney
    #5 Keith009, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
    Cheaper than NRT by A$200 at today's exchange rate. I'm thinking of visiting TPE so this might be an option for the next DONE4, but I'd probably incur some costs getting NRT (the end point of my current DONE4) to TPE. But of course some enhancements might be applied to the rules/rates (knocks wood :shock:) so all these might be moot by the time I get around to booking another ticket.

And from an MR perspective - there aren't as many 'long' routes out of TPE as flying out of NRT.

6. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #6 Mal, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
    The Finnair fare isn't a true RTW, I believe it is a Return fare to Europe that allows routing through America and also Asia. It could allow Africa as well, but not too sure.

Bestflights also have it listed:
    Australian Travel Agent : Best Flights - discount travel - Travel Agent Australia

I have seen the fare rules listed before for these types of fares. Sometimes ExpertFlyer shows them, but I can't find it for this fare at ExpertFlyer.

I believe (but aren't sure) that the Conditions for this fare may be (Check in particular Fare 002, 004, 006 and 007. You would need to check with BestFlights/Travel.com.au to work out exactly which fare they're offering):

7. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    Yes, it is a limited fare. And it is possible to go RTW
    MEL-HKG-HEL-LON-JKF-LAX-MEL is a route that could be taken. If travel is wanted in Europe or US take LCC flights.
    Not a bad RTW for $A7000

8. rhjames

rhjames Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Sydney
    I flew Finnair Hong Kong to Helsinki a few months ago. I got a package where I flew Qantas economy Sydney/HK, then business from HK. Saved lots of money this way. Finnair seats aren't up to Qantas skybed, but good enough for me when I'm paying. Otherwise they were ok. If interested, I can dig out the agent website.

9. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Your bigest issue may be 'D' class availability if your only looking at travel in Nov, some flights are really busy at the moment.

(Currently planning a DONE4 ex Japan but may not be able to do due to lack of availability around the dates i need flights, of course lots of alternative routings to be checked before i give up and just book some flights in whY and try to upgrade)

E

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear Established Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thanks for the replies, especially the Fare rules.

Yes brought Expertflyer to try and track down the D fares, which I was going to use to plan the DONE4.

Have tracked down a bunch of suitable flights with D availability so will now send to the travel agent and see if they can price it.

Unfortuneately my regular TA is away on holidays so have to give it to someone else in the office to book who doesn't understand my desire for extra segments, even if the direct flight is possible.

Regular TA understands my interest in extra flights, so is quite happy to check on prices for flights, like going to Thailand for a day trip.