Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

FareHunter is Crippled by Jetstar Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
18,779
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
Seems as though Jetstar are doctoring information used by the Farehunter site. See the SMH http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/a-cheap-shot-but-dont-ask-jetstar/2006/02/26/1140888748254.html

JETSTAR, the airline that prides itself on offering cut-price fares, has nobbled attempts by a travel website to compare the cheapest domestic airfares on the market.

Since late 2004, the website, FareHunter, has allowed consumers to compare the cheapest airfares provided by Jetstar, Virgin Blue and Qantas, saving them the trouble of visiting the airlines' websites.

But the founder of FareHunter says his website has been "crippled" after Jetstar recently started providing incomplete and doctored information.
 

cpl

Intern
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
72
Points
0
oz_mark said:
Seems as though Jetstar are doctoring information used by the Farehunter site. See the SMH http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/a-cheap-shot-but-dont-ask-jetstar/2006/02/26/1140888748254.html

I think it's pretty obvious that there is someone who is afraid of customers being able to compare their fares. Well I don't consider them anyway. Experiencing their Soviet-style check-in procedures once (considerable queue at one counter while the chick next door was polishing her nails) was one too many. Who knows? Perhaps "transparency" is the product name of her nail polish? ("Jetstar is about transparency") 8)
 
G

Guest

Guest
I would say its more about J* wanting surfers to visit their site directly or a licenced travel agent. Can't really blame them... they make absolutely no money out of having queries ripped from their server and no control over the content that is displayed.

Now... if only they ditched the "travel agent" thing and let everyone refer anyone into an affiliate program style setup.... 8)
 

GDSman

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
304
Points
5
Jetstar are not remotely interested in travel agents as a means of distribution - their strategy is all around driving consumers to their own website where they can sell them their air + hotel/car etc. For many low cost carriers the revenue earned from the bits other than flying equals or exceeds the flying part - see Ryanair, EasyJet etc...no reason to waste that revenue opportunity on travel agents.....
 
The Qantas Premier Platinum Card delivers up to 100k Qantas Points, 75 bonus Status Credits, complimentary lounge invitations and travel insurance. All this with a reduced first-year annual fee of $199.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Mahtoh

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
41
Points
0
GDSman - you are right but farehinter are not travel agents - they do not earn commission at all.
 

drron

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2002
Messages
25,936
Solutions
1
Points
3,365
We have got a choice of deathstar or virgin out of the sunshine coast.Used deathstar once-90 minutes late.Will never bother using them again.When riding a virgin from maroochydore I listen to the deathstar annoucements-seems as though 90 minutes late is the norm for them.So I dont need a site that has deathstar for comparison.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,365
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
drron said:
We have got a choice of deathstar or virgin out of the sunshine coast.Used deathstar once-90 minutes late.Will never bother using them again.When riding a virgin from maroochydore I listen to the deathstar annoucements-seems as though 90 minutes late is the norm for them.So I dont need a site that has deathstar for comparison.
Perhaps JQ is still trying to work out how to work a shcedule with daylight savings. They keep losing an hour every time they fly to Qld and just can't figure out where it goes :roll: :roll: :roll: ?
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,340
Solutions
10
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
NM said:
... Perhaps JQ is still trying to work out how to work a shcedule with daylight savings. They keep losing an hour every time they fly to Qld and just can't figure out where it goes ...
perhaps best not to extrapolate this if JQ ever takes on the Pacific & imagine what they might do with that day missing from LAX-SYD flights. :shock:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
serfty said:
NM said:
... Perhaps JQ is still trying to work out how to work a shcedule with daylight savings. They keep losing an hour every time they fly to Qld and just can't figure out where it goes ...
perhaps best not to extrapolate this if JQ ever takes on the Pacific & imagine what they might do with that day missing from LAX-SYD flights. :shock:

I'd be more worried in the other direction - trying to fly around waiting for their landing time.
 
M

MetroAir

Guest
drron said:
We have got a choice of deathstar or virgin out of the sunshine coast.Used deathstar once-90 minutes late.Will never bother using them again.When riding a virgin from maroochydore I listen to the deathstar annoucements-seems as though 90 minutes late is the norm for them.So I dont need a site that has deathstar for comparison.

Just drive to BNE and take QF, it would take the same amount of time - but most know I wouldn't be seen dead on death*
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,826
Points
840
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
MetroAir said:
- but most know I wouldn't be seen dead on death*

If you were dead they'd probably change the schedule and not tell you about it :( :( :( :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top