Earn up to 3,000 Qantas Points with PayPal | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Earn up to 3,000 Qantas Points with PayPal

andye

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Anyone manage to get through the whole process successfully? :)

All I get is "Transaction Failed, Please try after sometime" followed by

"Thanks for visiting !

Please check the URL and try again with full URL "
I gave up

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Does this only apply to those with Qantas credit cards?
No.

It is to PayPal.

I linked to one PayPal Account that previously had no CC. Just prior to activating I linked to an Amex.

With my wife's PP it has been linked to an Amex for several years.

Initially for my wife (about 2 weeks back) it went straight to the last stage which obliviously was not correct.

I just joined my PP this week and it went to Stage 2 where you do a the 1 cent transaction.

We then redid my wife's PP and this time it too went to Stage 2 and we were able to do the 1 cent transaction.

Under Pending it shows:

16 NOV 19PAYPAL$0.01
16 NOV 19PAYPAL$0.01

andye

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I did wonder if my PayPal account email being different to my QF email was the problem

Beano

Flights
My Map
Both of mine are the same, but i'm in NZ so may not apply. I regulary use Paypal and just missed a long haul booking before Qantas stared using Paypal.

NoName

Established Member
AFF Supporter
No.

It is to PayPal.

I linked to one PayPal Account that previously had no CC. Just prior to activating I linked to an Amex.

With my wife's PP it has been linked to an Amex for several years.

Initially for my wife (about 2 weeks back) it went straight to the last stage which obliviously was not correct.

I just joined my PP this week and it went to Stage 2 where you do a the 1 cent transaction.

We then redid my wife's PP and this time it too went to Stage 2 and we were able to do the 1 cent transaction.

Under Pending it shows:

16 NOV 19PAYPAL$0.01
16 NOV 19PAYPAL$0.01

I have a screenshot confirming my registration - “step 3 complete” and an email from PayPal notifying that I have authorised the 1c payment - description “Linking Your Qantas Frequent Flyer Number”. However, I can find no evidence that any 1c charge was actually made. Nothing in my PayPal history and nothing on the CC that I charged it to. I will be interested to see how this plays out.

Rich

Intern
"You can now earn points through PayPal" sounds a bit strange. I only link to a credit card with Paypal. Does this mean I will now effectively get double points i.e. 1 point per $ for using PayPal plus 1 point for $ for my credit card? Or was I never getting credit card points on PayPal charges before? I use it so little I wouldn't have noticed.

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
I have a screenshot confirming my registration - “step 3 complete” and an email from PayPal notifying that I have authorised the 1c payment - description “Linking Your Qantas Frequent Flyer Number”. However, I can find no evidence that any 1c charge was actually made. Nothing in my PayPal history and nothing on the CC that I charged it to. I will be interested to see how this plays out.

Did you look in Pending Transactions? It will quite possibly never go to being a confirmed transaction.

Mine are both in the Pending Transactions on my Amex.

NoName

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Did you look in Pending Transactions? It will quite possibly never go to being a confirmed transaction.

Mine are both in the Pending Transactions on my Amex.

Yes you could be right here. I clicked on the transaction number hyperlink in the transaction confirmation email from PayPal mentioned above which brought up a page with amongst other things these two messages:

The temporary authorisation was cancelled and your payment method wasn't charged.

&

This 1 cent transaction is for verification purposes only and will be immediately refunded

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
"You can now earn points through PayPal" sounds a bit strange. I only link to a credit card with Paypal. Does this mean I will now effectively get double points i.e. 1 point per $ for using PayPal plus 1 point for $ for my credit card? Or was I never getting credit card points on PayPal charges before? I use it so little I wouldn't have noticed.

If I have understood it correctly you will earn both PP QFF points, and your CC point, till 2000 QFF point earn is reached at the rate of 2 QFF points per $1 spent on PP.

After that it is back yo just your CC earn.

PineappleSkip

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Anyone know if any restriction on where the paypal money goes to get the points. Have a tax bill coming up and could get the required spend through a PayPal transaction

cheers skip

banana boy

Anyone know if any restriction on where the paypal money goes to get the points. Have a tax bill coming up and could get the required spend through a PayPal transaction

cheers skip
In my experience the underlying MCC of the vendor is used with Paypal transactions so if your credit card doesn't award points for government transactions then it's unlikely to award them if you use that credit card with Paypal to pay for government transactions. YMMV.

PineappleSkip

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I was thinking I’d use my bank account, as I have the cash. Can’t see a requirement to use a credit card

Rich

Intern
I was thinking I’d use my bank account, as I have the cash. Can’t see a requirement to use a credit card
Maybe, but I think your PayPal has to be linked to a points earning card so maybe it is implied? Otherwise why the requirement?

PineappleSkip

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Maybe, but I think your PayPal has to be linked to a points earning card so maybe it is implied? Otherwise why the requirement?
What requirement? Point of using bank account would have been no credit card fee. Anyway, looks like an academic question for this purpose as can’t see a way to pay ATO via paypal.

Cheers skip

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monaim

Currently Active Users