Double Award Points Offer on Mastercard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen65

I just received this email from Commbank:

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for using lock, block and limit to add extra security to your CommBank Awards MasterCard credit card.

When you locked your Awards MasterCard you also unlocked double Awards points on your MasterCard spend[SUP]#[/SUP] between 30 November 2014 and 1 February 2015. It's our way of saying thanks and we hope you enjoy the peace of mind that comes with the extra security your CommBank credit card provides. Look out for your additional points which will be credited by 30 April 2015.
Have you ever misplaced your credit card?
Now with temporary lock, you can lock your credit card if you've misplaced it and unlock it when you find it again - enjoy extra security and more control over your money with CommBank.
To learn more, visit commbank.com.au/doublepoints

Things to know before you Can:
Excludes transactions flagged as recurring (e.g. direct debits) and transactions not sent to us for authorisation. Other Terms & Conditions apply.
#To be eligible for double points on MasterCard spend from 30 November 2014 to 1 February 2015 you must have temporarily locked your credit card, blocked international payments or ATM cash advances or limited the spend amount on any CommBank Awards MasterCard at least once before 1 February 2015. The lock, block or limit functionality does not need to be retained until the end of the promotion. American Express and Visa spend are not eligible. Additional points earned during this promotion do not count towards points capping. No cap or limits on how many additional points customers can earn during this period. Points may not be awarded if a transaction is refunded. Additional points will be credited in either your March or April 2015 Statement. Bonus partners are excluded from this double points promotion. MasterCard and the MasterCard brand mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, Australian credit licence 234945.

I note:

- bonus points don't count towards your points cap

- no limit on points earn

- it doesn't seem to exclude any spend except bonus partners

There is an FAQ with more details when you scroll down at:

https://www.commbank.com.au/persona...oints.html?intcmp=double-points-b1-learn-more

The only FAQ that slightly puzzles me is this one:

I am registered for Qantas Frequent Flyers program, how are the points calculated?

The Qantas Frequent Flyers programs direct earn conversion rates will remain the same.

I assume this means that we will effectively earn double QFF points because we're earning double Cth rewards points?

Just opted into the double MC promo using Netbank and confirmed it will work for Commbank points that automatically convert to QF points each month.

So $1MC on Commbank Diamond =1.25 x 2 =2.5 Commbank rewards points x 0.625 convert to QF points =1.5625 QF per $ spend on MC

Now that is a market leader!!

So $1MC on Commbank Diamond =1.25 x 2 =2.5 Commbank rewards points x 0.625 convert to QF points =1.5625 QF per $ spend on MC

Now that is a market leader!!

On Diamond Awards MasterCard it is actually 0.625 points per dollar X 2 = 1.25 points per dollar.

On Diamond Awards MasterCard it is actually 0.625 points per dollar X 2 = 1.25 points per dollar.

I believe my maths are right

[h=3]Earn points[/h]

• Up to 3^ Awards points for every dollar spent on your CommBank Diamond Awards American Express® Card
  • Up to 1.25^ Awards point for every dollar spent on your CommBank Diamond Awards MasterCard® accepted at over 35 million location worldwide

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 4.26.07 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 4.26.07 pm.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 336
The conversion rate for selecting Qantas Direct has always been 2:1.[/QUOTE]

you need to be a member of the
Qantas Frequent Flyer program, and
opt into Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct.
Once you’re signed up, all future CommBankAwards points earned will be automaticallytransferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyeraccount monthly.
[/COLOR]

Diamond 2 CommBank Awards points = 1 Qantas point

I stand corrected 1.25 QF points for $1 through Diamond MC it is

Only Citi Pretsige at 1.33 for KF is better but that will cost you $700 pa

Just opted into the double MC promo using Netbank and confirmed it will work for Commbank points that automatically convert to QF points each month.

I just logged into Netbank and changed some of the lock settings, but didn't see any message to say I am now in the double MC promo. How do you know you are in the promo? Do you get a message in Netbank then and there or do you get an email?
Thanks so much

I didn't get an email either and the message sent to me in NetBank messages didn't refer to the double points offer. However, the general information on the CBA website (see the reference in the first post in this thread) makes the conditions of the offer clear.

According to CBA call centre you didn't need to get an email to action the offer, just follow the steps on the offer page on website

Last edited:
I didn't get an email either and the message sent to me in NetBank messages didn't refer to the double points offer.

Thanks, I'm just a little nervous because I didn't get any confirmation message in Netbank either. I've followed those steps on the website so will see what happens. I'd be very upset if I move my big expenses from a 1 point per dollar WOWEDR card and only end up with 0.625 instead of 1.25. Hopefully it will work

Thanks, I'm just a little nervous because I didn't get any confirmation message in Netbank either. I've followed those steps on the website so will see what happens. I'd be very upset if I move my big expenses from a 1 point per dollar WOWEDR card and only end up with 0.625 instead of 1.25. Hopefully it will work

When I locked the feature on the MC in Netbank I got an email confirming the MC feature change so I have evidence to go back to argue against. I also I have a screen capture of the offer if they renege

When I locked the feature on the MC in Netbank I got an email confirming the MC feature change so I have evidence to go back to argue against. I also I have a screen capture of the offer if they renege

And of course the points don't post until April when hopefully everyone would have forgotten how much they spent under MC Vs AMEX & how many points should have posted and/or don;'t have time to go back and reconcile statements!

Forgive me, I'm a bit slow to the fine art of extracting maximum points from ccs. I got the MC x 2 offer, and did the lock thing, OK (actually its one of the handiest things I have on my iPhone; I use it all the time when I'm travelling o/s). I gather the reason for using MC now vs AMEX is due to the additional % charged by some institutions (eg ATO) for AMEX and when amounts in question are high .. because the points margin has now narrowed? But for regular spends when there isn't a surcharge, AMEX is still the way to go?

I followed the instructions but I don't see the fourth screen, being able to customise the security settings...

got it, outdated app

Last edited:
Forgive me, I'm a bit slow to the fine art of extracting maximum points from ccs. I got the MC x 2 offer, and did the lock thing, OK (actually its one of the handiest things I have on my iPhone; I use it all the time when I'm travelling o/s). I gather the reason for using MC now vs AMEX is due to the additional % charged by some institutions (eg ATO) for AMEX and when amounts in question are high .. because the points margin has now narrowed? But for regular spends when there isn't a surcharge, AMEX is still the way to go?

Yes, the spend/points earn rate is still better on the CBA AMEX (at least for the Diamond, haven't checked the other CBA cards but I expect it would be the same). So avoiding surcharges on AMEX spend (eg ATO) is the attraction of the CBA MC double points deal.

It could also be (marginally) beneficial if you are nearing your points cap for the year, as the additional points earned from spend on the CBA MC don't count towards the cap.

NC

Just did two cards lap around teh merrigo round for 6 figures.

after statements cut last night.

Will wait for refund then probably at least 1 more lap ;)

This is going to be a really dumb question but I have had a mastercard for years and I know I have points but where on netbank can I look up how many points I have and what I can get for them?
Thanks in advance :)

This is going to be a really dumb question but I have had a mastercard for years and I know I have points but where on netbank can I look up how many points I have and what I can get for them?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi DW,

In your main screen (listing all of your accounts) you can either:
1. hover the mouse over your reward card account and select 'awards' from the menu which appears

2. Click on the little yellow and black awards symbol which shows next to your card account (it is a button)

3. Select awards from the main menu

4. Open your award credit card account page (ie. Look at transactions) then select 'awards' from the options under the account summary.... it might be under the 'more + ' options.

This is from memory as I'm not sitting at my computer, let me know if these don't work and I can DM a more detailed version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back