D-Day 8 Oct for Ezy Mastercard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPG

Just thought I would share with everyone that I received a letter in the post today from CBA letting me know that the Ezy Mastercard program will close on 8 October, and I will be moved onto a Standard Commonweath Mastercard from this day.

This means the end of the $1=1points for Qantas... :(

Not impressed CBA!

D P G

DPG said:
Just thought I would share with everyone that I received a letter in the post today from CBA letting me know that the Ezy Mastercard program will close on 8 October, and I will be moved onto a Standard Commonweath Mastercard from this day.

This means the end of the $1=1points for Qantas... :(

Not impressed CBA!

D P G

So you'll be moving points on 9 October, and cancelling soon after that? I wonder how many calls they'll get from customers about that...

Damien said:
So you'll be moving points on 9 October, and cancelling soon after that? I wonder how many calls they'll get from customers about that...

Sadly, CBA are giving no 'grace' period. One part of the letter states:

An important change is that from 6 October 2006, you will no longer be able to redeem 1 Ezy Reward point for 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer Point. From 9 October 2006, if you are a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program, you will need to redeem 2 Commonwealth Awards points to obtain 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point. Unless you currently have an Exy Action Account and are on Bank Your Points, if you wish to redeem your existing Ezy Rewards points for Qantas Frequent Flyer points at the ration of 1 for 1, you will need to do so by 6 October 2006. The good news is that with no expiry date on your Commonwealth Awards points, you'll have plenty of time to add up your points for flights, accommodation and other awards.

I know that there are going to be a lot of angry customers, not only that the program is ending, but also the way CBA is being very harsh in its ending!

D P G

Damn,

It took me 3 months to get this card earlier this year and I'm only going to get 6 months use out of it until it goes. Transfers have to done in doses of 1000 points right? Might have to do some small spending to make sure I'm just over the limit by September to make sure CBA doesn't scr3w me out of maybe 999 points. And yes, I want them!! (only people here would understand! :oops: )

Well, guess I'll have to consider another option for my non-AMEX card, not happy about having to request another card in a 12 month period. Would be my third after the Rewards Max and Ezy Card.

DPG said:
I know that there are going to be a lot of angry customers, not only that the program is ending, but also the way CBA is being very harsh in its ending!

You would think that they would provide a way of protecting the value of pre 6 Oct points.

oz_mark said:
You would think that they would provide a way of protecting the value of pre 6 Oct points.

Yes, that seems to be what has been done in the past with other banks (namely Westpac), but the CBA apparently has no interest in keeping their customers.

D P G

Well my Ezy Card is definitely going. I note that if you don't transfer your ezy points to Qantas before the October dead line, the points you have aleady accumulated on the Ezy card will be transferred in the Commonwealth Awards Scheme meaning that the value is halved as they only offer 2 Commonwealth Awards for 1 Qantas points.

My dilemma is that I depart for the USA in three weeks, for three weeks, and although I usually use AMEX in the States but if I put charges on the Ezy Card the charges/points might not get credited to the Ezy card in time and I may lose out.

Now I know this has been discussed before, but can somebody let me know which visa or mastercard still offers a ratio of 1:1 with QF and I will try and get one before I leave.

Okay, my own research suggests the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Gold at $95 annual fee plus $55 Rewards Program Service Fee might be the way to go, and just make sure I keep purchases under $2500 for the month as everything above $2500 only earns .5 points per dollar spent. I think most people use Amex to get the 1.5 points and have another card that offers at least 1:1 points.

If there is a better card that offers 1:1 please let me know, otherwise I'll apply for the Westpac asap.

Citibank Silver is $69 per year, theoretically with a 40,000 points cap per year. The major problem is the Citibank "service" experience.

You might be able to get a 5000 point referral bonus if you know anyone with a referral form lying around (hint - I have one) but this can be more trouble than it's worth.

Steve

Hey,

If you want a CitiBank Credit Card, and can live with the limit in number of points you can earn, then apply using this link, and i believe that your first years annual fee will be waived. I used it about 6mths ago and the links still seem to work and its title says "no annual fee in first year".

Paul Z

Citibank Australia - Special Introductory Offer Application

StevePER said:
Citibank Silver is $69 per year, theoretically with a 40,000 points cap per year. The major problem is the Citibank "service" experience.

You might be able to get a 5000 point referral bonus if you know anyone with a referral form lying around (hint - I have one) but this can be more trouble than it's worth.

I am not sure if they are still around, but there have been 10,000 point offers at SYD, MEL, BNE QF Terminals... Might be worth giving in to these annoying people for once!

D P G

Just applied, and had approved an ANZ Frequent Flyer Gold Visa, so all I have to do now is cancel the Ezy Card and transfer the points from the Ezy card to Qantas. Although I had an ANZ Gold card two years ago, ANZ treat this as a fresh application and are giving me 5000 QF points which are transferred direct into my QF FF account so can't complain about that. Something for nothing. There is no incentive for anyone who wants to earn QF points to stay with CBA.

Maca44 said:
Okay, my own research suggests the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Gold at $95 annual fee plus $55 Rewards Program Service Fee might be the way to go

At $150pa for 1:1 ratio is a bit too expensive for my liking. Particualrly with the amount of spending I put through the Mastercard. Think I'll look more closely at the National Rewards Program and the 3:2 ratio that it offers. Can get the card (and enrollment in the program) for $0 which, for me, is better as it is a secondary card.

QFTravel said:
At $150pa for 1:1 ratio is a bit too expensive for my liking. Particualrly with the amount of spending I put through the Mastercard. Think I'll look more closely at the National Rewards Program and the 3:2 ratio that it offers. Can get the card (and enrollment in the program) for $0 which, for me, is better as it is a secondary card.

I assume you have some special deal through work because when I search the National website, and the NAB Gold Rewards Card, this card has an annual card fee of $88.30, plus and annual program fee of $57.20. Other NAB cards involve Velocity program, of which I have no interest.

And, just noticed the site states: Redeem 1.5 points for 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point.

Maca44 said:
I assume you have some special deal through work because when I search the National website, and the NAB Gold Rewards Card, this card has an annual card fee of $88.30, plus and annual program fee of $57.20. Other NAB cards involve Velocity program, of which I have no interest.

And, just noticed the site states: Redeem 1.5 points for 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point.

It's actually through my stockbroker that this offer is made available. Their bank is the NAB so they offer a special deal to clients. And yes, I have factored into my decision that the redemption amount is 3:2. I expect to forgo about 2-3k points per year. :( But I will keep $150 in my pocket :D.

DPG said:
I am not sure if they are still around, but there have been 10,000 point offers at SYD, MEL, BNE QF Terminals... ...
Those offers were still there in BNE and MEL Sunday evening.

StevePER said:

This cap does not seem to be policed by anyone. I have been earning way more than 15 000 points per month = well over 180 000 per year using my silver card, and no one said a thing, and all points are credited. Of course, 1:1 ratio. At $69 it is the best you can get......

as long as you are willing to have a high blood pressure everytime when you need to call them

Chicken said:
This cap does not seem to be policed by anyone. I have been earning way more than 15 000 points per month = well over 180 000 per year using my silver card, and no one said a thing, and all points are credited. Of course, 1:1 ratio. At $69 it is the best you can get......

as long as you are willing to have a high blood pressure everytime when you need to call them

There are people that have said that Citibank have imposed the limits on them. Presumably they have done something to m ake Citibank enforce the limitations. The terms of the program leave the option open for them.

Ezyaction accounts with "Bank your Points"

Ezyaction accounts with "Bank your Points" will be forced to "Ezy-Issue" from October 8th. I have one of these and called to check. :(

Good thing I did, for my current 3K Ezy reward points would have turned into a $20 Woolworths voucher! :shock:

When I asked if I was going to receive any official advice, I was advised that since "these are very rare" notifications might "not have been sent". :evil:

Time to get to that 3600 points and transfer them to QF!!! (my last transfer was a couple of months ago).

I'm one of the people bitten by the EzyBanking closure. Pity - it was good while it lasted. I'm off to the CitiBank Gold card, particularly with the "no annual fee in the first year" deal. I can live with the points capping as I only put about $20000 through the Visa, with the majority going through my Amex Platinum these days.

Where is everyone else going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back