Credit Checks for Supps

Status
Not open for further replies.

andye

Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
I was trying to keep my Business Accelerator relevant by signing up some supplementaries. Was hoping to take advantage of Shop Small but that didn't work out,
Anyway I was surprised to see that this has resulted in an enquiry on mrsdandye's creditsavvy. I thought supps didnt cause a check-has something changed?

• Sad
Reactions: DC3
Can’t see why they would do this for a supp card holder given it is the primary card holder is the one who has to pay the bill. Of what relevance is the supp card holders financial position?

• Agree
Reactions: DC3
I was trying to keep my Business Accelerator relevant by signing up some supplementaries. Was hoping to take advantage of Shop Small but that didn't work out,
Anyway I was surprised to see that this has resulted in an enquiry on mrsdandye's creditsavvy. I thought supps didnt cause a check-has something changed?
This seems very problematic by them - can mrsdandye really be said to have consented to a credit check in this context?!

Given you can apply for supplementary cards in fake names, are you sure this is the reason for the credit check?

Given you don't have to provide any id for supplementary cards, how does AMEX know they've checked the right person?

Something doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
You can apply for supplementary cards without the permission of the supplementary card holder. It would be quite a breach of privacy if this could trigger an enquiry on their credit file.

This seems very problematic by them - can mrsdandye really be said to have consented to a credit check in this context?!
She did sign the application form but that was her entire involvement
I'll make enquiries of my own to Amex

Agree very dodgy, appears to fail the consent and notification parts of the Act and as noted above the credit is ultimately the primary cardholders responsibility. Am wondering if the people who were around at the time of the privacy act changes have moved on and the replacements are just ignorant of the legal requirements.

You'd need to check on what they signed up for. Sometimes Supp Cards on Amex Business accounts are also employee cards, and sometimes there is a clause stating they are jointly and severally liable.

You'd need to check on what they signed up for. Sometimes Supp Cards on Amex Business accounts are also employee cards, and sometimes there is a clause stating they are jointly and severally liable.
Looks like you have the answer
The application form does mention the 'jointly and severally' as well as a section on Privacy Act + seeking out creditworthiness
I probably wouldn't have applied if I'd read the small print. I'm now planning to cancel before next card anniversary as there doesn't seem to be any advantage in paying the Accelerator's annual fee (I also have a Charge, Edge and Reserve) if I' m going to struggle getting enough extra statement credits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back