Credit Check on Corporate Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambbbam2

A friend of mine has asked me a question, and the smartest boffins I can think of frequent this board!

Let's just say that he has a less-than-perfect credit history, anyway his boss has mentioned that he wants him to get a Amex Small Business Qantas Corporate card. This friend has tried to weasel out of the request, but crunch time is looming.

Does anyone know how strict the credit check is for a user of a coporate card? My friend doesn't really want the boss to be aware of his dodgy past.

Thanks

Even though it's a business card, card companies base their credit decision on the history of the person who is the primary applicant -- the person in whose name the card is.

So make sure your friend gets the card in the boss's name: list the boss as the "primary" applicant, with the boss signing the application. The decision will then be done based on the boss's credit.

Your friend can always also get a supplementary card in his/her own name. Any charges on either your friend's or the boss's card go into the same account, and show up on the same statement

When you sign for an Amex corporate card (IIRC), you basically allow them to chase you for payments if your company defaults.

Hence, I think your credit is assessed as well as the companies.

Not entirely sure though.

Mal said:
When you sign for an Amex corporate card (IIRC), you basically allow them to chase you for payments if your company defaults.

Hence, I think your credit is assessed as well as the companies.

Not entirely sure though.

I think there are a couple of ways of arranging the way liability on the cards work. For example, on my corporate card my employer is liable for the outstanding amounts. With my previous employer it was joint liability.

oz_mark said:
I think there are a couple of ways of arranging the way liability on the cards work. For example, on my corporate card my employer is liable for the outstanding amounts. With my previous employer it was joint liability.
... And in the trusting company I work for, it is Individual Liability on our corporate Amex cards. A credit check was definitely performed by Amex on my records (which are, thankfully, unblemished) when I first got the card back in 1996.
A work colleague couldn't get a Corporate Amex because his credit history was shoddy, which made work travel that much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back