Credit Check on Corporate Card

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by bambbbam2, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    A friend of mine has asked me a question, and the smartest boffins I can think of frequent this board!

Let's just say that he has a less-than-perfect credit history, anyway his boss has mentioned that he wants him to get a Amex Small Business Qantas Corporate card. This friend has tried to weasel out of the request, but crunch time is looming.

Does anyone know how strict the credit check is for a user of a coporate card? My friend doesn't really want the boss to be aware of his dodgy past.

Thanks

2. Nobby

Nobby Intern

Nov 18, 2005
    Sydney
    Even though it's a business card, card companies base their credit decision on the history of the person who is the primary applicant -- the person in whose name the card is.

So make sure your friend gets the card in the boss's name: list the boss as the "primary" applicant, with the boss signing the application. The decision will then be done based on the boss's credit.

Your friend can always also get a supplementary card in his/her own name. Any charges on either your friend's or the boss's card go into the same account, and show up on the same statement

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    When you sign for an Amex corporate card (IIRC), you basically allow them to chase you for payments if your company defaults.

Hence, I think your credit is assessed as well as the companies.

Not entirely sure though.

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think there are a couple of ways of arranging the way liability on the cards work. For example, on my corporate card my employer is liable for the outstanding amounts. With my previous employer it was joint liability.

5. mick

mick Member

Apr 12, 2005
    ... And in the trusting company I work for, it is Individual Liability on our corporate Amex cards. A credit check was definitely performed by Amex on my records (which are, thankfully, unblemished) when I first got the card back in 1996.
    A work colleague couldn't get a Corporate Amex because his credit history was shoddy, which made work travel that much more difficult.