Credit card recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz1

Intern
Hi everyone,

I have been reading through the various posts on credit card recommendations & would appreciate any thoughts on our situation.

My wife & myself both have had the fee free for life Gold Visa credit cards for some time but they have started imposing the 60,000 point maximum frequent flyer points per year.

We both tried applying for another Silver or Gold fee-free Citibank mastercard but were declined (basically they have recently increased our limit & don't think we need another card!).

Most of the places we use don't take Amex or Diners, so we really need another Mastercard or Visa card.

Obviously the points earning rate is the most critical. For example it is obviously well worth paying an annual fee to get a 1:1 rate rather than a lower annual fee. I don't think I have seen better than 1:1 on a Visa/MC, so I presume we should aim for 1:1.

I have been hanging out for special deals & mailbox offers but we need to make a decision soon. Of course free sign up points would be great as long as the rest of the deal is OK.

Expect to put $100k+ on the card each year, so no limit (or a high limit) would be needed to make the fees, etc worthwhile.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Gary.

The problem as I am sure you are aware is getting another MC or VISA card that earns at 1 rather than 0.5......

Hi,

Citibank have now capped our points on my card & my wifes card.
We have an Amex, but not many of the places we deal with will take it.

Looking at Visa cards that have 1:1 fequent flyer points the best one I can find is the CBA Platinum @ $195 per year.

Anyone know of anything better or any other promos?

Thanks,

Gary.

Have you called Citibank and told them you'll be moving all your business to another card unless they remove the cap? :)

Citibank had caught up with me as well after 4 years, and put a cap on my head.

So I got my girlfriend to get Earth+ during promo.

It's earn rate sucks, but don't have any limit on how many points you can eearn.

It's a shame you don't want an AMEX...

Qantas Ultimate card - 1.5:1 with no cap ($395 fee)

Qantas Premium card - 1.25:1 with no cap ($195 fee)

Qantas Regular card - 1:1 with no cap (no fee).

Chicken said:
Citibank had caught up with me as well after 4 years, and put a cap on my head.

So I got my girlfriend to get Earth+ during promo.

It's earn rate sucks, but don't have any limit on how many points you can eearn.

If you use the Amex card it comes out to $1=1FF point

Chicken said:
Yes, but why would you use WBC AmEx, when you can use AmEx Rewards Maximizer or Platinum credit card?

And earn 1.5FF points per dollar, not 1:1. I would go for the Amex Rewards Maximiser as it is $200 per annun cheaper, earns the same FF ratio and you can often find a return flight between the cities Amex offer the free flight for around (or less than) $200 in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back