Crashing the IFE | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Crashing the IFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashback

AFF Supporter
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
8,600
Flights
My Map

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
750
Flights
My Map
Flashware said:
Obviously... he has never flown Qantas, where it will crash all by itself :D
Very true Flashware! today's effort on QF575 to Perth was spectacular: I wasn't paying much attention, but it must have crashed at least 5 times, with abject apologies / consultation with engineers on the ground each time.:shock:
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
Unfortunately the site that contains what the person did to crash the IFE has been /.'d (for those who don't know, /.'d is where a site is talked about on an Internet site called Slashdot and then crashes due to the amount of visitors and traffic to the talked about site... Slashdot is a really popular site for people to visit to read up on geeky IT type of things)

Any computer system can crash. You've just got to induce it to crash by giving it too much data. Some computers are easier than others (cough, Qantas AVOiD).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Tooner said:
Very true Flashware! today's effort on QF575 to Perth was spectacular: I wasn't paying much attention, but it must have crashed at least 5 times, with abject apologies / consultation with engineers on the ground each time.:shock:
Hmm, I thought QF575 was supposed to be a 747-300 aircraft. Did they swap it today for a 747-400? The -300s don't have AVOD, just the standard loop system.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
I was able to read the site before the /. took effect. Not really relevant to Qantas.

However, the main issue with Qantas' AVOD seems to result from repeated attempts to use a control without waiting up to 10 seconds for a response.

BE patient and it seems to work ok.

Now, last year there was an issue when travelling back from HKG. Among others my Daughter was travelling with me. She was in the seat behind me and her system 'crashed' three times on her. Beside her was my niece who had no problem. I had instructed both to be patient when using it. Checking up on things I found that with the control stowed in the armrest slot, my daughter kept bumping it inadvertently, even resting against the buttons on occasions (she does seem to move around alot).

By ensuring the control was resting out of the way on her tray table the problems ceased.
 

Flashback

AFF Supporter
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
8,600
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Hmm, I thought QF575 was supposed to be a 747-300 aircraft. Did they swap it today for a 747-400? The -300s don't have AVOD, just the standard loop system.
Excuse my ignorance for not knowing exactly what the AVOD contains.. but the last time I took QF583 SYD-PER (743) we had a choice of games, 6 movies, etc. Is this AVOD? Or does AVOD give you a much wider range?

Edit: not sure if you can check the rego of the aircraft still.. but FYI flight was 21/01/2007 QF0583.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Flashware said:
Excuse my ignorance for not knowing exactly what the AVOD contains.. but the last time I took QF583 SYD-PER (743) we had a choice of games, 6 movies, etc. Is this AVOD? Or does AVOD give you a much wider range?

Edit: not sure if you can check the rego of the aircraft still.. but FYI flight was 21/01/2007 QF0583.
No, its not Audio and Video on Demand. Its the old multi-channel loop system that has just been replaced from the 747-400 fleet. Its the new AVOD system that has been very unreliable to date. The old multi-channel loop system has been pretty stable since it was first installed - but can still have its off day.
 

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
750
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
EBX, a 743 with loop IFE, not AVOD.
Apologies, my mistake I read it all too quickly, it was definitely on the loop, however given the number of times people had to request a re-boot, it almost was video on demand:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,245
Messages
1,873,449
Members
49,093
Latest member
aleaster
Top