Coronavirus (COVID-19) Respiratory illness - Effect on Travel | Page 51 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Respiratory illness - Effect on Travel

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
A Filipina maid also died in Dubai.
The UAE government released a statement saying she died of non-2019nCov related pneumonia. (proved via testing)

A Philippines government minister issued an apology for claiming it was 2019-nCov.

Last edited:

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
This just a short while ago...

Includes the comment

"The Ministry said in a statement that the new cases, who are of Chinese and Filipino nationality, are under observation and necessary medical care according to the highest health standards applicable in the country, highlighting the effectiveness of the online reporting system. "

Following on from by previous pondering, it will be interesting to see the ethnic lineage of the Aussies on board the cruise ship that have been infected.

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
This makes me shake my head in incredulity....after poor Dr Li Wenliang passed away, some official ordered his body be put back on a resus machine to "manage" the timing of the information release. 😡

I no longer believe any of the stats or information being distributed through CCP channels. :eek:

Himeno

Established Member
I can't assess whether this report (below, in quoting far higher figures) is factual, close to it or exceedingly alarmist. Does anyone have any confirmation one way or the other (granted, it's in mainland China's interests to downplay numbers if they are really far higher than 'officially' released).

I like Taiwan (and have enjoyed visiting) but while I trust its democracy far more than mainland China's authoritarianism, the two nations are not exactly the best of friends:

Already addressed. It is fake.
The source of the images is a pro-Taiwanese Facebook page. The claims came from a gossip forum where users have been altering numbers on Chinese media screen caps on a regular basis since at least Jan 26

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
This makes me shake my head in incredulity....after poor Dr Li Wenliang passed away, some official ordered his body be put back on a resus machine to "manage" the timing of the information release. 😡

I no longer believe any of the stats or information being distributed through CCP channels. :eek:
It is no surprise that even death is not dignified in that part of the world. Millions could attest to that, if able...

robbegong

and depending on the deal, if any, the UK makes with the EU, EC261 won't apply to any flight departing LHR by the end of the year.
Oh ok then, that wouldn’t work then. I thought EC261 applied to flights operated by a EU based carrier flying into the EU.

robbegong

Is it just me, or is the whole Coronavirus thing starting to fizzle out?
I wish that it truly was, but I think the numbers are continually growing for infections and deaths. Why I reckon it feels like that a bit is that it hasn’t really spread so far outside China (e.g. from person to person and then growing within Australia). So far, if you haven’t actually been in China, your chances of getting it in Australia have been extremely low.

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
i am hoping what I heard this morning is true and that is that the rate of spread is slowly stabilising and that as it spreads the viral strength is being diluted. We can but hope.

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I wish that it truly was, but I think the numbers are continually growing for infections and deaths. Why I reckon it feels like that a bit is that it hasn’t really spread so far outside China (e.g. from person to person and then growing within Australia). So far, if you haven’t actually been in China, your chances of getting it in Australia have been extremely low.
But it is important to look at the rate of growth. The numbers will continue to rise for some time, even when it is ’over’. As will the number of deaths - from those already diagnosed and which can take a couple of weeks.

drron

Enthusiast
The reaction to this new virus is totally different to SARS and the Swine Flu episodes.Can't remember that the restrictions on travel were so severe.
On top of that I would have been in trouble if I used the presence of this virus as I did with swine flu.We travelled on Air Asia in Thailand at the height of the epidemic.I can remember a few wearing masks.But a Russian couple in front of us reclined on taxiing and although asked politely used the old no speak English to remain reclined.So a couple of coughs from me and the comment-"Bl**dy Swine flu" and they immediately sat upright and didn't recline again.I would expect to be met by the authories on arriving this time.

Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
For anyone reading this on Christmas Island, you cannot eat the red crabs. And red crabs are not Robber crabs, Robber crabs are big dangerous looking blue ones. 😏. (Just editing some online comments I have read).

kpc

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
For anyone reading this on Christmas Island, you cannot eat the red crabs. And red crabs are not Robber crabs, Robber crabs are big dangerous looking blue ones. 😏. (Just editing some online comments I have read).
And the fine is $5000 for killing the Red or Robber crabs! Ps the latter are edible but at a huge cost ;)

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minksta