Coles surveys

Discussion in 'Flybuys' started by ansettrule, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. ansettrule

ansettrule Intern

Mar 14, 2006
    As much as I dislike Today Tonight I must say I did watch it for the supermarket survey story on Thursday night.
    Living in Adelaide I have always suggested that Coles were cheaper and the Today Tonight story proves this point.
    From North,South,East,West and the Hills, Coles were cheapest in 4 of the surveys and Bilo were cheaper in the other.
    NO mention to Woolworths at all.
    The survey had brands and generics. Bilo were cheaper in the generics as well in 3 surveys and foodland were cheaper in 2.
    So my point is this everybody say's that Woolworths ARE cheaper than Coles but this is just so wrong.
    Shop at Coles it is cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The big factor in how cheap your local Woolies/Coles/Bilo/ etc store is, is competition from other nearby big chains. I used to live in an area where there were at least 8 major chain supermarkets within a 4Km Radius. This kept prices competitive.

Nowdays I live in an area where there is less competition. The prices are higher.

3. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    The cheapest coles here is where there are 2 woolworths within a mile.The cheapest woolworths is next to a bilo.The dearest woolworths and coles have noone else anywhere near them.

4. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Also remember, for it to be as cheap as the survey you must purchase the same items as they did in the survey.

there are many ways they can get the result that they choose. i think the survey was not the most rigorous survey conducted.

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    FWIW, Coles and Bi-Lo both come under the Cole-Myer umbrella.

6. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I have seen some of these surveys and the food basket's they use to determine the cheapest stores. Some of the items in the food basket my family never buys and other items we may buy once or twice a year.

In my area Woolworths is by far the cheapest and there are 2 Coles stores within 4 kilometres.

You shop where you know is cheapest, not where someone conducting a survey tells you to shop.

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    You need to consider your own food basket in determining which is the best shop for you. Also, given the price of fuel these days there is little point in driving any great distance to save 20 cents.