Citibank requesting original certified copies of ID documents to be mailed to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austman

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
As noted in another thread about banking issues, Citibank are sending emails and identical letters in the post to some customers requesting that "original certified copies of ID documents are mailed to them".

They want these documents by 30th June 2021 else they might suspend (block) the account. I've had Citibank cards for nearly two decades.

It's really quite an involved process Citibank wants including making a Statutory Declaration, getting signatures and mailing the documents to them in the post:

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/customer_identification_FAQ.pdf

Surely there must must be an online process in 2021? Even governments and lawyers can approve identity checks, online, to their required standards now.

Eg I sold a property recently and could provide all the ID necessary, online, to legally carry out the whole "sale of land" process. The lawyers called it "Online Verification Of Identity (VOI)". It's a method that apparently meets all the legal requirements of identity in Australia. Enough identity at least for the sale or purchase of real property in Australia. There were no Statutory Declarations needed. There were no witnessing signatures needed, There were no "certified" copies of documents needed. You still needed the original documents but then there is a process of photographing them and supplying a video selfie while entering a code that has been sent to you during that video. Etc. It's a bit of a process but at least it's online.

Using such a method would no doubt cost Citibank something. And they have not offered any explanation of why their required process is the only way to give them their requested ID.

Are other banks even doing this?

Last edited:
In relation to "Online Verification Of Identity (VOI)", I know CUA use it.

I have a Citi Plus and have not had such a request. Do not use it much, especially without needing Forex, but still put a few dollars through it every few months just for activities sake.

I know CUA use it.

I suspect that Citibank is just choosing the least cost option for them.

Instead it will be quite an effort, for their "innocent" affected customers, to meet their retrospective ID demands.

Not great if true.

:(

Reactions: DC3
I got the same letter from them.
I checked what ID that had on me now, just a driver license number (no state of issue or anything else)

Don't know if they never recorded it properly on the first place, or they lost it somehow, but they've put up a pretty annoying hoop to jump through

Do we need a stat dec? I thought it was just certified copies?

Not 100% sure but in Citbank's FAQs point 3 it suggests that you do:

"The certification should be worded in accordance with schedule 1 of the Statutory Declarations Act 2018."

Schedule 1 of the Statutory Declarations Act 2018 is a "STATUTORY DECLARATION". So even if not an actual statutory declaration, it needs to be "worded" in accordance with one.

And:

"The designated notary can be any of those listed in schedule 2 provided it is correctly worded and executed."

Schedule 2 is the usual list of persons who can witness a statutory declaration.

It's all a bit ridiculous if it's not really necessary and if another, easier for customers, method of ID would be acceptable.

What are Citibank thinking? Let's torture our customers?

Last edited:
As noted in another thread about banking issues, Citibank are sending emails and identical letters in the post to some customers requesting that "original certified copies of ID documents are mailed to them".

They want these documents by 30th June 2021 else they might suspend (block) the account. I've had Citibank cards for nearly two decades.

It's really quite an involved process Citibank wants including making a Statutory Declaration, getting signatures and mailing the documents to them in the post:

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/customer_identification_FAQ.pdf

Surely there must must be an online process in 2021? Even governments and lawyers can approve identity checks, online, to their required standards now.

Eg I sold a property recently and could provide all the ID necessary, online, to legally carry out the whole "sale of land" process. The lawyers called it "Online Verification Of Identity (VOI)". It's a method that apparently meets all the legal requirements of identity in Australia. Enough identity at least for the sale or purchase of real property in Australia. There were no Statutory Declarations needed. There were no witnessing signatures needed, There were no "certified" copies of documents needed. You still needed the original documents but then there is a process of photographing them and supplying a video selfie while entering a code that has been sent to you during that video. Etc. It's a bit of a process but at least it's online.

Using such a method would no doubt cost Citibank something. And they have not offered any explanation of why their required process is the only way to give them their requested ID.

Not my bank, but my super fund did, and I pointed out to them that when 100 point ID was introduced, you only had to identify your self once to any financial institution.

and I pointed out to them that when 100 point ID was introduced, you only had to identify your self once to any financial institution.

So what was the result? Did they accept that?

So what was the result? Did they accept that?
Not at the time, they played hard ball and as I was in the process of making 2 deposits under the Down Sizing rules on the sale of our home, my wife’s went into her fund without any trouble, but with time running out on me I went thru the process. During a later conversation they agreed that they had made the wrong call.

Received the same message some time ago. Far too complicated and not worth the effort for me. Cancelled 2 Citibank Visa cards after some 15 years ownership.

cheers

I must have missed the original thread, but why is Citibank demanding all this? Sounds ridiculous.

I must have missed the original thread, but why is Citibank demanding all this? Sounds ridiculous.

It's their Know You Customer Policies under the Anti-Money laundering act.

If you've been getting notices from other banks about making sure your contact details are up to date, it's all part of that.

Is it because they want to know your citizenship, and if you have even a smidgen of US ness in you?
ING keeps asking, but they are not as onerous as Citibank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back