Citibank Debit card in ATM's overseas Savings or Credit button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANT

Established Member
Hi all,

I have used the debit card in America and I thought I always pressed the SAVINGS button to withdraw cash.
I thought I read on here that people have used both buttons(Credit and Savings) with the same result cash and conversion charges the same.

Today I am informed from family member that in Australia you use SAVINGS button and overseas you use CREDIT button as instructed by CITIBANK staff!

Can some one please post their experiences and clarify which button in Singapore, England and Paris on any ATM to get cash via CITI DEBIT card?

I always choose Savings or equivalent at ATMs, credit for purchases. Never had an issue.

Citibank Plus card in Citibank ATM in NYC yesterday:

Citibank.jpg

Selected Savings as always and out spits the spondoola.

In France in May/June I always selected savings with no problems

Just got back from 4 weeks travelling the states. My experience was that purchases needed to be done as credit, otherwise the card would be declined.

Withdrawing cash from the ATM can be done on Checking or Savings. (Note: The Citibank account is actually called a checking account in online banking and on statements).

Both types of transactions appeared to get the same currency rates.

Last 23 days in USA, all ATM withdrawals were from savings. I didn't use the card for purchases (28 degrees card). Mostly $3.00 ATM fee. Best was $2.50 at Chase ATM.

FYI. Nearly every 7-Eleven in the states has a Citibank ATM with fee free transactions. They are literally everywhere, even in remote locations. Once you get into major cities, the are also a lot of Citi branches with atms as well.

I think that's because the Savings button when purchasing is linked to the EFTPOS network in Australia, not 100% sure though.

Just got back from 4 weeks travelling the states. My experience was that purchases needed to be done as credit, otherwise the card would be declined.

Withdrawing cash from the ATM can be done on Checking or Savings. (Note: The Citibank account is actually called a checking account in online banking and on statements).

Both types of transactions appeared to get the same currency rates.

My Citi debit card doesnt seem to work overseas. I have tried on several occasions, at several different ATMs, different banks and locations in both UAE and Ireland, same result (generic error code). Tried both Credit and Savings when the option was (rarely) offered.

PIN is correct. Has been activated.

Tried it in Aus a few days before traveling, worked fine and I withdrew cash.

Does this card need to be further 'activated' for use overseas?

OzE

My Citi debit card doesnt seem to work overseas. I have tried on several occasions, at several different ATMs, different banks and locations in both UAE and Ireland, same result (generic error code). Tried both Credit and Savings when the option was (rarely) offered.

PIN is correct. Has been activated.

Tried it in Aus a few days before traveling, worked fine and I withdrew cash.

Does this card need to be further 'activated' for use overseas?

OzE

No, but I do advise them I'm travelling and where, to avoid issues. I do it through Internet banking messaging.

I had the same issue recently - you need to advise them where & when you are going. They automatically block overseas transactions if you don't. BTW, I usually had to use the credit button.

I never notified Citibank about my O/S travel and the card has always worked abroad for me.

I have always used the credit option for ATM withdrawals, including the last few weeks in South America. Some of the fees for ATM withdrawals have been high this time - one was $7 in Argentina. In Chile I made a withdrawal from an ATM which had a huge Citibank sign on it, and there was still a fee for withdrawal.

I had the same issue recently - you need to advise them where & when you are going. They automatically block overseas transactions if you don't. BTW, I usually had to use the credit button.

This is not true for everyone. In general I don't tell any bank about any of my travels and all cards have been fine so far; credit or debit/savings. A lot of it comes down to your normal usage patterns.

I have never had to advise any other card provider, so it came as a bit of a shock to find problems with the Citi card in NZ. When I skyped them to check on the problem the agent told me to specifically contact them before OS travel, with dates & locations.

This is not true for everyone. In general I don't tell any bank about any of my travels and all cards have been fine so far; credit or debit/savings. A lot of it comes down to your normal usage patterns.

Citibank block my card the instant it gets used overseas if I haven't called them prior.

After getting blocked about 4 times I now call them a few days prior to departure and haven't had an issue since.

It's the only card I've had to do it with.

Citibank block my card the instant it gets used overseas if I haven't called them prior.

After getting blocked about 4 times I now call them a few days prior to departure and haven't had an issue since.

It's the only card I've had to do it with.

And that's the Citi debit or the credit or both?

Quite amazing really, because I have no spend profile on my debit; I only use it for overseas travel. Maybe because my account has my other 2 credit cards they know I frequently spend oseas online and in real life?

I actually use the checking button because thats what my statement says.

95% of the time, it'll work otherwise if it doesn't, it'll actually tell me to do it again with the credit button so thats what I'll use in that case.

In the UK, I believe the button is also called 'Current'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back