Citi Signature now looking better value post AMEX devalution | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Citi Signature now looking better value post AMEX devalution

Legoman

Now that AMEX have decided (starting next April) to devalue their points earn on their cards to equal the mid-tier earn rate of Citibank FFL Signature, is it fair call to now say that Citibank Signature becomes the 'go to' card again for major retailer purchases (the kind where AMEX acceptance usually isn't an issue - eg, petrol, Bunnings & Colesworth)?

I've come to this conclusion because at 0.75pt/$ direct earn rate on free 44-day AMEX cards like Qantas Disco or Velocity Escape, you're actually better off earning 0.75pt/$ non-direct earn rate on the 55-day FFL Signature instead. Quite apart from the extra 11 days interest free, you can also stockpile the points at Citibank and wait for the next 15% bonus offer to convert them through to Velocity to realise a 0.86pt/$ rate once converted.

The only difficulty with this is that you need to be sure of which retailers Citibank awards 1.5pts/$ to, when they don't explicitly publish that information and have no intention of doing so. Has anyone got a list of their own experiences/making of the kinds of retailers they know does earn 1.5pt/$ in the Citibank scheme?

I would presume the obvious big ones are:
Anything owned by the big Colesworth duopoly groups
Major brand petrol stations (not independents)
Major big name brand hotel groups (Hilton, Hyatt, Pan Pacific, Sheraton etc.)

anything else?

theblank

Established Member
anything else?
you are jumping the gun, comparing todays Citibank Earn with the Amex Earn in the future.
Wait until Citibank adjusts its transfer rates, then compare.

Surely all the banks will be following westpacs lead.

Legoman

you are jumping the gun, comparing todays Citibank Earn with the Amex Earn in the future.
Wait until Citibank adjusts its transfer rates, then compare.
Yeah, fair call. A lot can change between now and next April.

Surely all the banks will be following westpacs lead.
I don't bank with Westpac. What have they done recently?

Legoman

dropped the transfer rates to FF so earn is now 0.33 ppd for platinum and 0.4 for black, thats for KF or VFF
Wow! Holy cow, that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel of uselessness. If that's the kind of devaluation we're looking forward to, then so-called "rewards" cards will be pretty much dead for all but those using them for business expenditure.

burmans

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Wow! Holy cow, that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel of uselessness. If that's the kind of devaluation we're looking forward to, then so-called "rewards" cards will be pretty much dead for all but those using them for business expenditure.
Or those more interested in churning !

Sharp75

Intern
Now that AMEX have decided (starting next April) to devalue their points earn on their cards to equal the mid-tier earn rate of Citibank FFL Signature, is it fair call to now say that Citibank Signature becomes the 'go to' card again for major retailer purchases (the kind where AMEX acceptance usually isn't an issue - eg, petrol, Bunnings & Colesworth)?

I've come to this conclusion because at 0.75pt/$ direct earn rate on free 44-day AMEX cards like Qantas Disco or Velocity Escape, you're actually better off earning 0.75pt/$ non-direct earn rate on the 55-day FFL Signature instead. Quite apart from the extra 11 days interest free, you can also stockpile the points at Citibank and wait for the next 15% bonus offer to convert them through to Velocity to realise a 0.86pt/$ rate once converted.

The only difficulty with this is that you need to be sure of which retailers Citibank awards 1.5pts/$ to, when they don't explicitly publish that information and have no intention of doing so. Has anyone got a list of their own experiences/making of the kinds of retailers they know does earn 1.5pt/$ in the Citibank scheme?

I would presume the obvious big ones are:
Anything owned by the big Colesworth duopoly groups
Major brand petrol stations (not independents)
Major big name brand hotel groups (Hilton, Hyatt, Pan Pacific, Sheraton etc.)

anything else?
You get 2pt/$ from Signature linked Diners from big retailers. So don't use Signature at Coles Wollies etc., use Diners instead.

DeKa

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Just got my first offer from Citi in ages.

Spend $1500 in Feb 2019 and get $100 gift card for Myer, JB or Woolworths.

Maybe things are looking up.

I love to travel

Qantas
Platinum
Do citi ever have tranfer bonus eg instead of 2.5 citi points equals 1 KF point it becomes 2 citi points for 1 KF point?

tlam

Intern
Just got my first offer from Citi in ages.

Spend $1500 in Feb 2019 and get $100 gift card for Myer, JB or Woolworths.

Maybe things are looking up.
How did you get the offer? Did they email you?

tinkybelle

Qantas
Platinum
i got spend 1500 get $100 3 mths running but the second one said already redeemed so fighting with them now

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lenscap