Card Promotions Citi Rewards sign-up deal: 150,000 bonus Velocity points over 2 years

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
The previous 100k bonus Velocity points offer for the Citi Rewards credit card has ended. It's been replaced by a new offer:

• Spend at least $3,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days to earn 80,000 Velocity points
  • Renew the card for a second year to get a further 70,000 bonus Velocity points
Annual fee is $99 in the first year, $199 in subsequent years. Offer expires 31 January 2022.

Applied and received approval within a few days. Plan to just meet minimum spend to recieve the 80K then put the card on the shelf until next year for the additional 70K Velocity points.

Not sure what Velocity will have on the table when they announce their new partner airlines but after directing everything towards QFF since the Virgin halt I'm getting the urge to add to my smallish stash in anticipation of something worthwhile.

Also requested the additional dinners club card. l need to see if it is worthwhile and how to best utilise it. Possibly it will be worthwhile for overseas spend instead of my ANZ Travel Adventures card. Not sure how much acceptance they have.

This will be next on my list. (Recently signed up to St George amplify first.)

How quickly does the first batch of points land? Is it as soon as spend is earnt or after the 3 months?

They send you an email requesting you VFF number once you reach your minimum spend. My email came after a few weeks of spend. Then the T&C's state up to 10 weeks from when they receive your number for the BP's to post. I have been waiting around 4 weeks so far.

My experience with Citi is they ofter miss their mark. I have benefited with requested compensation quite a few times so I am hoping that their form stays the same.

My 80K sign up bonus hit Velocity a few days ago. Quite quick for Citi. Now to sit on the card till next year for another 70K.

I got knocked back by this card. No idea why. Maybe the new house loan was too much risk for them. We can definitely afford a card. I will close our Qantas premier card and give it a little bit before applying for something else, that may help as it'll reduce the credit card limit.

Citi is a pain to apply for and get approved. A lot of people are once bitten forever shy.

I got knocked back by this card. No idea why. Maybe the new house loan was too much risk for them. We can definitely afford a card. I will close our Qantas premier card and give it a little bit before applying for something else, that may help as it'll reduce the credit card limit.

I think others have posted here that no 12 mth exclusion. One of the few cards out there.
Can anyone confirm that there is similarly no exclusionary period on the Citi Premier Qantas card? I can't see any reference to one in the T&Cs, which makes this a pretty good deal for me to retain Points Club Plus.

It’s back up to 175,000
bonus Citi reward Points
Spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 90 days from approval and you’ll get 100,000 bonus Citi reward Points. Plus, get an additional 75,000 bonus Citi reward Points when you keep your card for over 12 months.

Last edited:
I have had this card and the associated linked Diners Club card for around 9 months. Met min spend and received the first lot of sign up bonus points.

I always planned to hold the card in order to receive the second years bonus 75K Velocity points.

I the meantime I have been started using the linked Diners Club card to make OS purchases as it has no forex fees and 2 points per dollar spend. I have picked up an error in points allocation on Diners spend and after being told by their rewards team via an email sent by the phone consultant that I was not eligible for 2 points per dollar on OS spend I have escalated it to a supervisor who initially stated the same. I pointed them to their own T&C's and it has now been further escalated for review.

Citi are really the pits as far as their systems go......but I'll be looking for a little additional compensation if they have messed this up.

Has anyone else had this issue with the Diners Club spend?

Would I still be eligible for the bonus points for Citi Rewards if I currenty have the Virgin High Flyer card (issued by Citibank)?

I am a Qantas fanboy refugee, about to apply to my first non-roo branded credit card :eek: It's hard, and I need help 🤣
Trying to get a feeling of which citi card to get, and I don't know if the current offers are average, or good, hoping to get some advice to pick between:
- Citi Rewards 60k Velocity for 0$ looks easy and tempting
- Citi rewards for 150k citirewards for 49$ looks better I guess with a transfer to 75k Velocity (plus options to transfer to Kris / Emirates)
- Citi prestige is tempting too, 300k citireward for for 350$ and more transfer options, but the following years fee jump to 700$ (I don't need the other perks of this card)
- waiting for a better deal.

I intend to remain "loyal" to citibank and PayAll my stuff with this card, so I'll probably keep it for years, hence the annual fee consideration for the citi prestige. Is it possible / easy to downgrade credit card, i.e. start with citi prestige, and asking later to switch to citi rewards (lower annual fee)? Wondering what implication it would have on the partner transfer options, as prestige has more.

Back