Chip and PIN cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying High

Intern
Have had an interesting/confusing couple of days talking to Amex about what's happening with the transition to chip and PIN cards.

I had a merchant remind me over the weekend that from 1 August I would not be able to sign for a transaction, but would need to use a PIN (my current card does not have a chip and PIN).

'No problem', I thought. 'That's a few months away. I'm sure Amex is on the case and will be sending me out a replacement Platinum Card before 1 August.'

A nagging doubt in my mind prompted me to send an email asking for an assurance that this would indeed happen. I got a reply reasonably quickly that included this line:

"I'd like to assure you that you can continue to use your current Card by signing after 01/08/14 as long as it is accepted by the merchants. You will receive an automatic renewed Card only on Card expiration which is mentioned on the top of your Card in mm/yy format."

This phrase was repeated ad nauseum in subsequent emails even when I pointed out that the merchants were the ones saying that they WOULDN'T accept it (clearly that is the company line that all the customer reps are told to say, regardless of whether it is actually true or not). I also pointed out this phrase that appears on Amex's own site:

"From 1 August 2014 all domestic point of sale transactions will require a PIN to authorise and verify your purchase"

I then decided to ring and talk to someone, who reiterated that I WOULD be able to sign for transactions after that date, but they would be sending out replacement cards with chip and PIN "towards the end of the year". That is, she directly contradicted the information on Amex's own website. I could get a replacement card that has a chip and PIN included immediately, but it would be a different number. If I want to retain my existing number I would need to wait until it was due for replacement (which is not until 2015). Again, conflicting information from Amex - one person says a replacement card won't arrive until the existing one expires, someone else says it will come earlier than that.

This is what I pay $900 a year for?!?!?

So your current card doesn't have a PIN? My AMEX doesn't have a chip, but it definitely has a PIN.

Sadly it is $1200 now. :(

1200 wow! What sort of card is that?
Does it give you any more points per dollar than a standard big bank Amex?
I've just signed up for a CBA Diamond. I need something to help pay my ATO bills.

Thought I better look into this too with my Qantas Ultimate card. No chip or pin on it.

Told they will start sending out cards between July and the end of the year. Also told some merchants will still accept signatures. Told the lady this is not the case. They can send me a replacement card with a new number. Also not ideal. Don't want the hassle of changing direct debits etc.

Seriously...disgraceful Amex. Clearly they don't want me using their cards with this attitude. How much notice has been given about this change?

Thought I better look into this too with my Qantas Ultimate card. No chip or pin on it.

Told they will start sending out cards between July and the end of the year. Also told some merchants will still accept signatures. Told the lady this is not the case. They can send me a replacement card with a new number. Also not ideal. Don't want the hassle of changing direct debits etc.

Seriously...disgraceful Amex. Clearly they don't want me using their cards with this attitude. How much notice has been given about this change?

The industry (and yes, that includes Amex) has known about it for years. They've ramped up the public awareness of it recently - PINwise - so it appears Amex is just not prepared. The main problem was that they were very late in implementing the technology in the first place - Visa/MC have had it for years now.

But realistically, I don't even need a chip...just a PIN. My card doesn't even have that!

But my gold Amex was renewed in August 2013 and it is chip and pin so no excuses for delaying any reissue until after July.

I didn't get that impression, and regardless, the customer rep on the phone confirmed I can't do it with my card.

I agree when i went to manage pins I could only do it for my reserve card which has one, the 2 charge cards don't allow it.

I didn't get that impression, and regardless, the customer rep on the phone confirmed I can't do it with my card.

[h=3]Do I have to select a PIN?[/h]Yes, American Express requires you to select a PIN for each of your Cards. PIN selection can be made during the Card activation process, by logging into your online account or by calling the number on the back of your Card. From 1 August 2014 all domestic point of sale transactions will require a PIN to authorise and verify your purchase.

I'd just let them know what's on their website and keep pushing for a PIN or a new card that's capable.

Possibly has something to do with Amex being ... well .... American. The US has not embraced the 'chip and PIN' revolution. You generally still need to swipe and sign in America.

The strip in my Platinum Edge was worn out. They sent a new one which has a chip. One way of getting a chip card before August, assuming the product you have is being issued with chip for new customers. New one is contactless too.

Last edited:
They will gladly issue a new card now...with a different card number. Something I wish to avoid as that creates work. If I just wait, I get a new card with the same number. Seriously, how hard can this be?!?

Ive got a DJ amex which has a chip, I just don't know/remember if it has been issued/changed my own pin?

Anyone know? A few places I use it, it must be swiped through, not "chipped through".

I just hope that when the new rules come in, it still works! (Chip/without or with pin, or swip with pin/sign.)

If your card is damaged, but you still have possession of it (i.e. not lost or stolen) then they should replace it with a new card with the same number and expiry date. So all you have to do is "accidentally" damage your card :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back