Chasing the perfect credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiki

Established Member
OK, with a very expensive trip coming next year, I will have $12,000 in RTW fares, hotels, etc. Not to mention everyday living expenses. It's a shame to waste them on Flybuys so I am looking to switch. I'm currently with NAB-Visa & Ant Amex and Virgin MC (only because they sent me a fee-free card invitation in the junk mail).

I am currently in UA MP, should score enough miles with flowers to get two free economy to RAR in 2008. Then I will abandon them and switch to AA and within 3 years (2007-RTW, 2008-USA, 2009-Europe) should score enough miles for a free economy Tahiti and 3 x free domestic OZ. Tahiti, being expensive; is a preferred place to burn points on free hotels. They don't have a Hilton, they do have IC, Starwoods, Sofitel and Radisson.

IC PPT or BOB is 30,000 points
Starwood is 7000 PPT, 20-25,000 BOB
Not sure about the others.

I'm just an accounts clerk and a temp, not perm but work regularly for the QLD govt. I have good credit and usually pay in full monthly unless I just got back from a holiday and splurged! :oops: I can't get a platinum card (income too low), maybe a gold card.

So what do you think is the perfect credit card for me?

I just got a Gold Amex Rewards Maximizer card! :D 1.5 points per $ and they tranfer to PC 1000 = 600 PC (probably tied to the currency exchange of USD to AUD. At least 1.5 points makes up for it! I'm really shocked I got it, I'm not high income but I do have an excellent payment history.

You will needa VISA or MC option for the many places and bills that do not take AMEX...or who charge an undue EXTRA amount more than VISA/Mc.

Did you get it free for a year??? and with sign on points? (though I realise part of its attraction to you is the free, though qulaified travel insurance and ability to get to AA)

Otherwise at $195 you have to spend say 13,000 points to break even....perhaps lower at AA burn rates.

I have temporarily taken out 2 QANTAS Amex's Premioms (so yes free travel insurance if used to buy travel) for my wife and I..and have pocketed the 30,000 sign on points. Earn rate is at 1.25 though...but if I had to pay the $195...I would have to spend a lot to be in front witha 1.5.

The card is free for a year.

Points go straight to QFF though and can't be sent to AA...but hey 30000 points for free is not bad (and another 5000 IF I buy any tickets).

Hopefully Maximiser will announce a signing on deal...at least that is what I am hoping for...and waiting for.

My mortgage gives mea free GOLD VISA/Amex that earns altitude points...0.5 & 1.0 in FF earn rates. I do not use this AMEX now...but it is free.

Am thinking of getting a Citibank VISA to get the earn rate of 1.0 for when AMEX not taken....but there seems to bea lot of complaints about it on this site.

ANZ have 1.0, but only upto $1500 a month...and then 0.5..BUT they also havea REwards fee of $55 on top of a card fee (though one can get bonus points to sign on from time to time....but if 10,000 points = a conservative $100 you are not way in front).

I'm looking for best value card too, but I'm getting a bit sick of trying to compare.

Some give more reward points, but then you find you need to redeem 2 for each FF point.

I've got a Wizard Clear Advantage card for using internationally - no fees, but I'm now wondering whether Westpac's Earth+ card(s) might be the way to go. $79 per year, I think 1 point per dollar spent on Amex, 1/2 point for Mastercard. The travel insurance seems comprehensive?? and they say no international transaction fees (*except what mastercard charges - which I think is 1%??)

I wish somebody would develop a website where you put in your monthly spend and it works out which card gives the most points after deducting costs.

In the meantime, I'm very interested in finding out what works for everyone else.

Gulliver said:
I'm looking for best value card too, but I'm getting a bit sick of trying to compare.

Some give more reward points, but then you find you need to redeem 2 for each FF point.

I've got a Wizard Clear Advantage card for using internationally - no fees, but I'm now wondering whether Westpac's Earth+ card(s) might be the way to go. $79 per year, I think 1 point per dollar spent on Amex, 1/2 point for Mastercard. The travel insurance seems comprehensive?? and they say no international transaction fees (*except what mastercard charges - which I think is 1%??)

I wish somebody would develop a website where you put in your monthly spend and it works out which card gives the most points after deducting costs.

In the meantime, I'm very interested in finding out what works for everyone else.

It really depends on which program you want to credit to. It should be no problem to find 1 for 1 transfer to QF points. If you don't collect QF points, the Amex is the only one to give other options in Australia.

Gulliver said:

Depending on what you want from your card - depends on what card is best for you.

If you post up which of the following is most important - I'm sure the members on here will be able to assist you with a suitable choice.

Rewards
(a) Frequent Flyer Points
(b) Cash back
(c) Gift Vouchers

Price
(a) Fee Free
(b) Willing to pay reasonable fee
(c) No concern

Hard-core points earner
For instance best FF point earners are AMEX cards. In particular the Platinum Credit Card ($395) and Rewards Maximiser Card ($195) earning 1.5 points per $ spend and convert to QFF points at 1:1.

It is also recommended to have an additional card (MC/VISA) for where AMEX is not accepted. The best "supp" card is being discussed in the following thread (http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/commonwealth-bank-rewards/comparison-best-points-earning-7626.html) which also offers reward points.

Middle-of-the-road
While i'm not 100% knowledge on all cards offered to the market, for anyone who is willing to earn points at a moderate annual fee and convience of two cards, the Earth+ card as you described previously seems like a great choice. The ability to earn 1 points on the AMEX is OK but the best aspect of this card is the additional MC which earns 0.5 points. As the MC is given to you free - this is a great choice option.

Doesn't really matter how slow i earn
Everybody on this site is here to earn points in one of the above manners. If your not in the above then trying to earn points isn't worth it. Just choose a nice simple fee-free card from your local bank.

Obviously these are only a few choices so have a look at this site here which lists out all the Reward Cards offered publically at the moment Australian Rewards Credit Cards | RewardsDB.com.

And in answering your question; I currently have the AMEX Rewards Maximiser and the Ezy MC (which is currently being replaced with a National Gold Rewards Card). As this suits my circumstances.

More you know what you want - the easier the choice.

QFTravel said:
For instance best FF point earners are AMEX cards. In particular the Platinum Credit Card ($395) and Rewards Maximiser Card ($195) earning 1.5 points per $ spend and convert to QFF points at 1:1.

Wait a minute...are you saying that the 1.5 MR points you get on these cards only translate to 1 QFF point?

If that's the case, then the best AMEX cards are the Qantas AMEX Premium (1.25:1 QFF pts) and Ultimate (1.5:1 QFF points) cards. They credit straight to your QFF account though, so you can't use the points for anything else. Fees are the same as the Gold (Premium) and Platinum (Ultimate) credit cards.

Chers,
- Febs.

Febs said:
Wait a minute...are you saying that the 1.5 MR points you get on these cards only translate to 1 QFF point?

Chers,
- Febs.

Febs, with the Maximiser etc, you earn 1.5 Amex points for every $1 spent. Points are converted at 1 Amex point to 1 Qantas FF Point.

ksthommo said:
Febs, with the Maximiser etc, you earn 1.5 Amex points for every $1 spent. Points are converted at 1 Amex point to 1 Qantas FF Point.

Didn't realise that, thanks. I just assumed that all Amex MRs were the same. The MR points on my corporate AMEX are $1 = 1 MR point = 1 QFF point.

Sounds like the Qantas AMEX's are the best for QFFers then.

Cheers,
- Febs.

What's a FF point worth? A flight I'm interested in I could get for $5403, or 96,000 points. So I've calculated them as worth 5.6c. Does that sound right?

So if I spend $50,000 per year, I should accumulate $1400 worth of points at 1/2 point per dollar spent, $2800 at 1 point, $3500 at 1.25 points, or $4200 at 1.5 points.

If my figures are close to correct, I guess it's worth paying even the most expensive fees to get maximum points??

Gulliver said:
What's a FF point worth? A flight I'm interested in I could get for $5403, or 96,000 points. So I've calculated them as worth 5.6c. Does that sound right?

So if I spend $50,000 per year, I should accumulate $1400 worth of points at 1/2 point per dollar spent, $2800 at 1 point, $3500 at 1.25 points, or $4200 at 1.5 points.

If my figures are close to correct, I guess it's worth paying even the most expensive fees to get maximum points??
Hmm... 96,000 points (& ~$300 in +++) will get you a WHY return across the pacific, say SYD-LAX-SYD. You can currently purchase the same routing from $1580 inclusive (Sale), normal inclusive non-peak fares from $1825.

What is this $5403 routing?

Thanks, I did stuff up my figures. The $5403 was for 2 return tickets Brisbane - LA. The 96,000 points was for the first leg - there were no seats available for the return.
So FF points are worth something like 10c then?? Great. :D

When used for domestic WHY awards about 1¢, J is about 3¢

Some internatinal WHY awards up to 1.5¢, J (if you can get any) is about 4¢)

International upgrades about 5¢ ...

YMMV

My maths is attrocious. I don't understand all these flight types... can you search for particular types?? But for the flight I'm interested in, they seem to be worth just under 3c.

I've decided the Rewards Maximiser is best value for me, especially being free first year.

I'll see how it's acceptance goes while I still have Ezy card, and I still need a mastercard I'll get the Citibank Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back