Changes to the Starter Max Bundle

Discussion in 'Jetstar' started by samh004, Oct 20, 2017.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. samh004

samh004 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    I just got a Jetstar Trade Mail to highlight some changes coming to the Starter Max Bundle after October 12th. In summary, it appears the Starter Max Bundle will be cheaper? The change deadline will also be prior to check-in opening time and a refund will only come in the form of a voucher. I'm not sure how much of a change this is, but I would imagine if I bought a completely flexible ticket I would want my money back, not a voucher, if cancelled... so that's not great!

Advertisement

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interesting. Just had a look at some Starter Max prices, and they do seem to be lower than I remember them. Certainly may tempt me next time I fly Jetstar.

As for completely flexible - I am not sure any economy tickets in Australia are truly fully flex any more...

3. samh004

samh004 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    I can never seem to go past JQ57, so had a look at an upcoming flight for this Tuesday, 24th October. The difference between a Plus and Max bundle was $40!!

QF wants $200 for all discount Economy flights and $508 for all flex Economy flights that day. That's between 15 and 30 SC.

JQ wants $184 for the Max bundle, giving 30 SC, F lounge if you're WP and upfront seating (something you won't get on QF).

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cool Cat Phil

Cool Cat Phil Established Member

May 2, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 Cool Cat Phil, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    A few months ago I had an email from the Jetstar Advisor Panel ( I didn’t know I was selected as a member, so not just Qantas have these it seems) with open questions and input encouraged on suggestions to improve the JQ fare structures.

I’ll have to say I certainly did make reference to the ridiculous price points of “Max bundles”, when on many occasions two passengers could ticket on a “starter plus” fare lower than one passenger on a Economy “max bundle” .

Maybe the penny has dropped!

So I have Just done some dummy bookings on MEL > NTL ( the route I travel the most domestically ) and the “max” bundle has indeed dropped in price to + $95, which earns 20 SC and 1200 QFF points instead of 10 SC and 800 QFF points for a “starter plus” fare ( based on being QF platinum) free seat selection of all seats, and a 30 kg baggage allowance.

If these max bundle fares are indeed priced this way moving forward, I would certainly seriously consider paying for max bundle fares in the future.

On the MEL > HNL route, The Starter plus bundle is +$99 on top of starter fare, the Max bundle, is +$180 on top of the starter fare which is a vast improvement of previous fare structures, and with quite a bounty of additional points & SC. Ie: 9000 QFF points + 45 SC V 12,000 QFF points + 70 SC ( based on QF WP status or higher) this fare type is seriously worth considering.

Whilst Jetstar certainly doesn’t provide the same product as Qantas to the Aloha state, these changes are certainly food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. samh004

samh004 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    I would certainly consider a Max bundle on all fares now, as the premium seating combined with better earn rates make it very compelling. Rare that such an enhancement is good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GPH

GPH Established Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brisbane Bayside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have only ever used the business max bundle. It seems to be reasonable value for what it provides.

7. Pleb Status

Pleb Status Established Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Perth
    If you are going for a bundle, the Max is definitely the go now. Using the PBG is still far cheaper when booking 3K however.

For a possible upcoming flight -
    2017-10-22 16_20_37-Jetstar Flight Booking - Bundles.png

8. Cool Cat Phil

May 2, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That example is a very good one that highlights how Max bundles are now seriously worth taking up.

9. Jacques Vert

Jacques Vert Established Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Coffs Harbour
    If you get the chance again, perhaps you could take up the pricing of their business class.

I've always thought that they should have three options for business (similar to the economy fares). The business max includes everything including flexibility, points & SCs, refunds, etc. The basic business fare doesn't. If they had a business fare in between (like the PLUS bundle), which included points and SCs but not fully flexible and no/limited refunds, then it would be a goer for those of us wanting to fly business on holidays, etc., where the need to cancel/change at the last minute is not required.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Cool Cat Phil

May 2, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I’m receiving emails quite regularly seekingfeedback on all matter of things regarding Jetstar at the moment. If
    any questionnaires comes up regarding Business class I would be happy to provide feedback such as the example you just provided on where J class ticket options could be improved.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jetpack

jetpack Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Melbourne
    I bought my first ever max bundle today thanks to this thread. I otherwise wouldn't have picked up that I could double my SC earn.

12. wandering_fred

wandering_fred Established Member

Jun 12, 2006
    country WA
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Got an email highlighting a Jetstar "return free" offer - Ends in about 48 hours.....

Happy wandering
    Fred

13. wandering_fred

wandering_fred Established Member

Jun 12, 2006
    country WA
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Seems the jetstar web servers are a bit "overwhelmed"......... at the moment

Happy wandering
    Fred

14. Being Bali based, I fly Jetstar quite a bit (connecting flights for Asia to Europe and back to Perth).

This change is going to help me make Gold again this year (especially after Qantas disallowed SCs & Points on a Cathay return & 2 Malaysian returns to London, as the category of booking did not apply - which you cannot tell when initially booking on Cathay and Malaysian!!).

I usually just take the Plus bundle for 25SC's and 20kg luggage costing $65 as the Max Bundle was a further $200 per leg on top.

The Max bundle allows use of the private lounge in Denpasar (which you cannot use otherwise on a Jetstar flight even if Gold or Platinum).

The lounge is basic can get crowded when a Chinese flight or 2 is departing, but its a good place to have a drink and recharge a phone.

Just be aware, if you want to take maximum luggage on a Jetstar Bali flight (40kg), the cost difference for the final 20kg on the Plus bundle or 10kg on the max bundle is quite high (a way to claw back their "discount").

So if the Mrs gets carried away with her Bali shopping, it can be a bit ouch on the max luggage top up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. justinbrett

justinbrett Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Who's confident that the Starter Max bundle will keep earning Flex Y QF SCs? I'm not.