Centurion Travel Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

armanie

Hi,

I once read somewhere that Amex Centurion card holders don't need to buy extra insurance when they hire cars overseas, as the Centurion Travel Insurance will cover them.

Can any one confirm this?

Thanks.

Yes that is correct. I have never paid extra for rental car insurance (or any other type of travel related insurance) because it is covered as part of the Centurion card.

Thanks Homer.

Have you ever had to claim?
Just wondering if it's an arduous process.

armanie

Thanks Homer.

Have you ever had to claim?
Just wondering if it's an arduous process.

armanie
I've never had to claim for an overseas car rental, however I recently had to claim in Australia - or at least I will when I get the final bill from Avis.

It will be a small amount - I was reversing in a driveway and I didn't notice there was a metal stake in the ground just in front of a hedge of the same colour so I managed to graze the rear bumper of the rental car. The claims process seems fairly simple. Amex puts you on to AXA (the actual insurer) and you need to fill out a form detailing the claim. In my case Avis charged me $300 for the repair when I returned the car but said the final bill might be only half that and they will refund the difference to my Amex card. Once I know the final amount I will submit it to AXA and they will (in theory at least) refund the money to me.

It doesn't need to be a Centurion card, the Platinum and QF Ultimate come with travel insurance (and are a hell of alot cheaper!)

It doesn't need to be a Centurion card, the Platinum and QF Ultimate come with travel insurance (and are a hell of alot cheaper!)
Absolutely. My father even gets rental car excess insurance with his seemingly run-of-the-mill Westpac credit card. However if you are talking about travel insurance generally then there is quite a bit of difference between the Amex Platinum and the Centurion travel insurance products.

Absolutely. My father even gets rental car excess insurance with his seemingly run-of-the-mill Westpac credit card. However if you are talking about travel insurance generally then there is quite a bit of difference between the Amex Platinum and the Centurion travel insurance products.

...and even then the Platinum Credit and Platinum Charge cards have quite a few differences between the included insurance products.

there is quite a bit of difference between the Amex Platinum and the Centurion travel insurance products.

I don't know the details of the Centurion travel insurance, but would be interested in knowing if there are differences you consider significant between it and the Platinum Charge card travel insurance, as the Platinum Charge insurance seems very comprehensive and unrestricted to me.

The following qualification is certainly relevant,

...and even then the Platinum Credit and Platinum Charge cards have quite a few differences between the included insurance products.

as there is indeed a considerable difference between these two, with one of the most significant being the requirement (of the Credit card variety) to charge the travel costs to the card, which is not applicable for the Charge Card.

I don't know the details of the Centurion travel insurance, but would be interested in knowing if there are differences you consider significant between it and the Platinum Charge card travel insurance, as the Platinum Charge insurance seems very comprehensive and unrestricted to me.
In my original post I was not saying that the platinum charge insurance is not comprehensive. I was just pointing out that there is a difference between platinum and Centurion travel insurance.

I looked into this last year because the platinum charge card annual fee is a lot lower than the Centurion card and I wanted to make sure that I was getting value for money.

Some differences are: accident or loss of life - $1 million on Centurion/$400K on platinum charge; resumption of journey - $10K on Centurion/$5K on platinum charge; loss or damage to baggage, documents or trip cancellation - $50K on Centurion/$30K on platinum charge. There are various other differences to the insurance coverage and, of course, to the wider range of benfits.

Thanks for the quick reply. It appears that it is mostly higher $ limits (which makes sense). Given the $ limits of the Platinum charge insurance are adequate for my needs, I am happy I am not paying even more for an annual card fee (not that I would get an invite :rolleyes:, but nice to feel I am in the place I would choose in any event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back