Centurion is now Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amex

Amex in Australia have updated the Centurion card in line with that offered in the States.

The card is now made from Titanium.

The annual fee just jumped to AUD 4,300 per year as well.

Rgds

That is going to be confusing. Westpac have a titanium mastercard that is their equivalent of amex platinum (ie much much less than centurion).

Some of the info that came with the package:

To quote the included material:

"Your new Centurion Card was forged at 1,668 degrees Celsius. It's titanium, the metal that makes the impossible possible, from aeroplanes that fly at Mach 3 to submarines that plunge to depths of one kilometre. Titanium has the same tensile strength as hardened steel, but is six times lighter. Your Card has been hand-finished, so no other Card looks like it or feels like it. It can be used in the same way as your previous Card and requires no special care or handling. It's resistant to tarnishing, acids and corrosion. It will not bend under pressure. As such, the new Card is a little like the people who hold it."

Rgds

Last edited:
Kiwi Flyer said:
That is going to be confusing. Westpac have a titanium mastercard that is their equivalent of amex platinum (ie much much less than centurion).

The card is still called a Centurion card. It is just that it is now made of titanium instead of plastic.

I just spoke to Centurion cards/accounts (and now I'm wondering why I'm a member, but that's a separate story) and their plan was to supply the new cards on the anniversary of each card holder's membership. For me that is in December. I suppose their marketing department has decided that a new metal card sent along with the notice of the annual fee increase might help members accept the 55% jump in fees?

At this stage I very much doubt that I'll be one of them...

My card was not up for renewal until 2009 but the new Titanium one arrived today. There are some more benefits offered with the new Titanium card as well.

Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Amex

My card expires in 2008, yet the annual membership fee is due annually on the anniversary of when you first received the card. Are you sure your card arrived outside of your anniversary?

Homer

received mine abt 2 weeks ago, but expiry of the plastic one(s) is july 08 and new annual charge will apply in july 07

still havent decided who's going to get the qantas club membership.....

regards
kito

It will be a while before I see one of these - I think I need to push a little more through my account (currently only 50k-100k across two cards (business and personal) this year.

As actual centurion cardholders - do you really see the benefits of having the card. Obviously you do because you have the card and have renewed it - but I am just wondering if its the intangible benefits or the tangible benefits that make the decision for you?

kito said:
received mine abt 2 weeks ago, but expiry of the plastic one(s) is july 08 and new annual charge will apply in july 07

still havent decided who's going to get the qantas club membership.....

regards
kito

Thanks Kito...it sounds like the "supervisor" I spoke to was just making it up as he went along in terms of when my titanium card might arrive. I'll chase them up again.

Can I ask whether the 55% increase in the annual fee bothers you?

Homer

Kiwi Flyer said:

Titanium mastercards must be a NZ thing.

Homer,

I think it is hard to quantify the AUD 4,300 yearly cost for the card when you can get nearly all the benefits by having the standard Amex platinum charge card. I have called the Centurion concierge / travel line a number of times and the person on the other end has answered with the Platinum services greeting. Same people, similar benefits, different number. I guess the difference of AUD 3,200 per year (compared with the AUD 900 charge for Platinum) will put some people off and they will go back to having a platinum card. For others who are happy to pay the AUD 4,300 per year it will not be of too much concern.

Rgds.

Homer said:
Thanks Kito...it sounds like the "supervisor" I spoke to was just making it up as he went along in terms of when my titanium card might arrive. I'll chase them up again.

Can I ask whether the 55% increase in the annual fee bothers you?

Homer

Hi Homer
Those supervisors or CSR somehow will give u a bit of a runaround b4 the real stuff spills out.......I just received my monthly statement in the mail today and no annual charge or "the new annual charge" included! definitely not due until my next anniversary in july.

if u call up abt the metal card the CSR probably will ask u where u heard this from etc etc and trying or pretending to keep it a myth of some sort (as they are salaried to act in stupidity).........just tell them all the materials/info are already posted everywhere in the web, a full mention on their own amex cent. website and even pics of the black package posted etc etc then they may speed up the delivery of your card and discuss more in details with u.

One other thing to remember: you need to request the suppl cent card and a.c card thru them as they are not sent automatically with your main card in this package and the number of the suppl. and a.c. will be changed since you request those cards before the expiry of the current ones. Approx takes 5 working days to arrive here in WA and in plain envelopes only!!!!! So if you have automatic payment/direct debit then it is a real hassle to notify all your business vendors.

I requested only the suppl cent and keep my a.c plastic until its expiry hence the existing # on the a.c. will remain the same and no phone call/letter/email to the other end to change the card #..........

To the increase of annual fee: every individual has his/her own circumstances to make it justifiable/worthwhile and for me when I work out its an extra $1500 pa or $125 per month or $4.10 per day I think I can still manage in addition to the extra qantas club membership worth a few hundred dollars and its onging (at least it says) until 2010, full enhancements of travel insurance whether the expenses are charged to amex or not for all the members in the card portfolio and speedy immigration procedures at various cities. Well for me, I collect points from my usage for flying so honestly I dont concern abt much at those lifestyles/shopping/clubs experience. My latest this month was redeeming 2FC awards from Perth to JFK on QF later this year and I reckon I scored very well with my soon to be expired $2800 fee when you compare the actual $ you would have paid to buy those tickets alone but with $4300 it still can't buy me 2xY fares to JKF and never forget that proportion of the annual fee is tax deductible!!!:D

Regards
Kito

If you decide not to activate the metal card and Amex let u keep custody of the metal card it will be a good letter opener.........:mrgreen:

I think I need to find some new materials for credit cards for Mrs NM. Perhaps a Plutonium Card would discourage her carrying it around, especially if it was to glow green and come with a giga counter?

Or perhaps a Lead Card that is so heavy that she refuses to carry it in her purse so it will sit in the drawer at home?

Of perhaps a Tissue Paper Card that is so thin I can fold it up small enough to be lost inside the plug hole of the kitchen sink inside her purse?

Or perhaps Plasticine Card so she can be flexible with the balance and mould it to the current requirements?

Or perhaps a Glass Card that is transparent and she will not find it in her purse?

Titanium just seems to robust a material and would cost me a fortune while I wait anxiously for it to wear out :shock: .

Thanks Amex and Kito for your detailed replies.

I finally got through to someone in the Lifestyle area who promised to ring me back and tell me when my card would arrive. That was better than the cards/accounts "supervisor" who didn't even know that the cards are being sent out by renewal month, not renewal year.

Kito I wish I had thought of using the A/C card for automatic bill payments as you do. I have been using this for company accounts (expense account) so that I can present a clean statement for reimbursement. If I had been using it for bill payments then I wouldn't need to go changing the details with a number of companies. However can you confirm that your main card number changed with the titanium card?

I understand there are a few extra benefits like some additional clubs in Hong Kong plus Qantas Club membership. None of these really interest me. I suppose I can give Qantas Club membership to my wife but as she almost always travels with me it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to us. I will weigh up the extra costs when my membership is due in December.

You have both made comments regarding AMEX customer service. Today I was referred to variously as "Mr Simpson" or "Homer" (I don't care what people call me, but for $4,300 a year I want it to sound a bit better than an outsourced call centre); I've spoken to someone who barely spoke English and I've been told that there isn't a "client relations" team at Centurion - just that "our supervisors handle it". I've spent some time in the US and I don't for a second believe that American Centurion members would tolerate this sort of customer service. Now we get to pay a much higher membership rate - I hope American Express diverts some of those funds into their call centres.

Homer,

My card number stayed the same with the issue of the Titanium card. I believe the A/C card and supplemental card number may change. I have asked for the Titanium versions of both of these as they can be supplied at no additional cost. I use the A/C card in a similar fashion to you i.e for business expenses. Easier to track on the statements.

In the defense of the Amex customer support, I can highly recommend the personnel at the travel section. I have a dedicated staff member there who looks after all of my travel. I have had nothing but professional service from her.

Rgds

Amex said:
In the defense of the Amex customer support, I can highly recommend the personnel at the travel section. I have a dedicated staff member there who looks after all of my travel. I have had nothing but professional service from her.

Rgds

Amex

I absolutely agree with you re: the travel team. I should have included that bouquet in my comments along with the other brickbats.

Most of my travel is domestic which my office books, however I use Centurion travel for international work trips and holidays. There are some very good people in there. Your dedicated person is't the fabulous "Pat" by any chance?

Homer

Homer,

No, I have not spoken to Pat. Hayley looks after all of my travel and she is fantastic. Very helpful and no request is too hard no matter how short the notice is.

Rgds.

Amex said:
"Your new Centurion Card was forged at 1,668 degrees Celsius. It's titanium, the metal that makes the impossible possible, from aeroplanes that fly at Mach 3 to submarines that plunge to depths of one kilometre. Titanium has the same tensile strength as hardened steel, but is six times lighter."

Extraordinary. A card that will set off the metal detector at every airport. The mind boggles...

Amex

The travel team seems to be quite a bit different to the lifestyle and cards teams. For a start they have a receptionist to answer your call and put you through to someone. This means the rep has your details when you get through and greets you by name. I have never needed to quote my card number or go through the security questions when calling the travel team which I think contributes a fair bit to the positive way in which we both perceive the service.

Homer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back