CBA now include free international travel insurance without conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOPOOR

Established Member
i know this is a few months old, but before you had all of these conditons to satisfy eg spent 900 minimum and must include flights,

however the new policy just says you dont need to purchase anything on the card, as long as you let them know in advance,

ive just spent 30 mins reading hte policy, and I now feel like a 2nd year english student trying to read the bible upside down

i have a diamond card and I just want to know a few things but the policy either doesnt refer to it or ive missed it or I dont understand the lingo,

can anydecipher the basics,

it says elecrtrical malfunctions arent included, it also says luggage in transite isnt included,
it says there is an exces of $250 so if the plane is delayed by 4 hrs or more you are entitled to $35 up to $100 for meal allowance

so I would like to know, if I go to bali and there is a volcano travel delay of a few days , how do they cover the hotel costs?? eg its unfair if a high roller in a $1000 per night room is put in a $200 per night room,

and will they cover hotels, flights, meals, taxis etc. and absolutey everything else out of pocket obviously except souvenirs etc, if you travel business class, do you get business class tickets?

what about loss of income,

also, there are clauses like if you leave your stuff unattended in a vehicle its not covered

so in gerenal, is stuff like losing your phone, having your camera stolen from the back of your pocket, cash from hotel rooms etc covered

sorry for the long post!

'CBA now include free international travel insurance without conditions'

Even without reading the documentation myself, I would say to you, no travel insurance, free or otherwise, would be issued without conditions. Suggest you look at the documentation provided carefully and seek professional legal advice if necessary.

Yes obviously the pds is an entire 49 page document of conditions.

The requirement to be eligiblr was quite limited before . But now specificallly says no purchase necessary.
Obviously policy terms and conditions exist. Was just trying to decipher assuming you are eligible

It's certainly not without conditions: you have to remember to register the details of each and every trip in order to be covered properly for each trip, otherwise you're stuck with the absolute most basic level of coverage which is completely insufficient.

Another thing: if you forget to register your trip but then you remember and go to register after you begin your journey, you can't just be covered from that moment: there's a compulsory 3 day waiting period before the insurance kicks in, so for three days, even though you've registered, you're uninsured (beyond the most basic level).

Great if you remember, potentially bankrupting if you forget.

It's certainly not without conditions: you have to remember to register the details of each and every trip in order to be covered properly for each trip, otherwise you're stuck with the absolute most basic level of coverage which is completely insufficient.

Another thing: if you forget to register your trip but then you remember and go to register after you begin your journey, you can't just be covered from that moment: there's a compulsory 3 day waiting period before the insurance kicks in, so for three days, even though you've registered, you're uninsured (beyond the most basic level).

Great if you remember, potentially bankrupting if you forget.

wow, I didnt know that, I read the pds again and still couldnt even work it out

ive registrered my upcoming trip well in advance but still cant work out whats covered and not covered

im just trying to work out if what I would call basic/core coverate is covered, eg hotels, flights, theft of belongings, all medical costs are covered

Good idea to call their info line. They're open from 8-7 M-F and 8-5 Sat AEST. They may be able to shed some more light for you. 1800 837 177

if your spending $1k on accom...
.I'd get travel insurance from another source than credit card..... Oh and back in the day I used CBA GOLD CREDIT card insurance... Used that emergency number to get me accom booked for a night ;) YHA 10 quid I think ;)

I really dont like calling call centres, as I find that people in this country willingly give out false information too often, which can be costly.

however I will call them

Icalled the CBA for a query on a international money card,
and I got 3 totally differnet answers from 2 different branches, and over hte phone!

ended up wasting half a day going from one branch to another beacuse of this!!

I really dont like calling call centres, as I find that people in this country willingly give out false information too often, which can be costly.

however I will call them

Icalled the CBA for a query on a international money card,
and I got 3 totally differnet answers from 2 different branches, and over hte phone!

ended up wasting half a day going from one branch to another beacuse of this!!

Very true.

I've tried to get information in writing (i.e. emailed) to avoid these issues. Funnily enough, banks are apprehensive to do this. I had someone at Citi literally laugh at me over the phone like I was a complete idiot when asking, claiming it was a "security breach". No idea why banks seem to think that it's ok to talk to somebody on the phone however anything via email is a major international security incident.

Very true.

I've tried to get information in writing (i.e. emailed) to avoid these issues. Funnily enough, banks are apprehensive to do this. I had someone at Citi literally laugh at me over the phone like I was a complete idiot when asking, claiming it was a "security breach". No idea why banks seem to think that it's ok to talk to somebody on the phone however anything via email is a major international security incident.

just shows that the staff are willing to give out such banket incorrect statements

in my case, Icalled up enquiring about this new international money travel card

Branch 1: the main benefit of this card is that when you change AUD to a forgein currecny, the rate you lock it in is the rate that you lock it in is the rate you will get back when you refund even if its months down the track!! me: oh wow, so the bank is taking a risk in the exchange rate, so it could go either way, Yes, however if it goes in your favour, you wont get a profit!

then I call the call centre to ask another question, get told, oh no, thats not the case we will hold the rate for you, however you will get the buy vs sell rates so there is a spread. Me: oh ok thats not too bad, im happy with that. IThe card is free if you pick it up from branch because you are a diamon

so I go to a different branch to order the card, get told its $7 for the card if I pick it up, and free if done online. Oh and what they told you about holding the rates is totally incorrect, they dont hold the rate for you, and you get the buy vs sell rate when you sell!

I walked out of the branch

I have travel insurance with many cards. Most do not require any notification. Some require part of the travel to be paid on the card.

However, I always pay for insurance just to be safe. If it very cheap and easily compared and obtained online.

Also, be especially careful if going on a cruise, snow skiing, diving or any other form of organised activity. Many policies will not cover you, and many require an additional payment for coverage. Also, also, be careful of the definition of hire car excess cover. This is a super tricky one that varies depending on the country. Also,also,also some of the cheaper hire car companies have insurance the at "cover you". Great, except it only covers your vehicle, not the other vehicle. From their perspective, they are covered but you are being hung out to dry.

These are only a few reasons that I take my own insurance out every time I travel and for everybody I am travelling with. Insurance (of all kinds) is only expensive until you need it.

Anyone know if this can be used for combined domestic/international travel? We've got a trip to Lord Howe coming up, with an international F points booking the next day.

Apparently flights can be a bit iffy, so want to make sure we're covered both for extra accommodation, as well as for the international flight the next day...

I have travel insurance with many cards. Most do not require any notification. Some require part of the travel to be paid on the card.

However, I always pay for insurance just to be safe. If it very cheap and easily compared and obtained online.

Also, be especially careful if going on a cruise, snow skiing, diving or any other form of organised activity. Many policies will not cover you, and many require an additional payment for coverage. Also, also, be careful of the definition of hire car excess cover. This is a super tricky one that varies depending on the country. Also,also,also some of the cheaper hire car companies have insurance the at "cover you". Great, except it only covers your vehicle, not the other vehicle. From their perspective, they are covered but you are being hung out to dry.

These are only a few reasons that I take my own insurance out every time I travel and for everybody I am travelling with. Insurance (of all kinds) is only expensive until you need it.

I took advantage of this new more generous coverage and arranged online via netbank to be covered for our next short overseas trip to Singapore.

This seems to be a rare case of a credit card enhancement actually being an enhancement.

I've just activated this for an upcoming Fiji trip and read this in the PDS "You must also take with you whichever of the following documents is needed to verify your eligibility for this cover:
• copies of your eligible credit card account statement or credit card receipt to confirm your eligibility for the insurance; and/or
• a copy of the letter/statement/email confirming the redemption
of your Commonwealth Awards points through the Commonwealth Awards Program in full or part payment for your return overseas travel ticket(s)."

Doesn't that indicate that there is some spend on the card nee

Interesting... I overlooked that. Hopefully it's al out of date PDS. I'll have to chase it up with them as the only reason I have this ordinary card is for the insurance.

FWIW our CBA private banker has provided written assurance that spend on the card is not required for coverage. As always YMMV

I've just activated this for an upcoming Fiji trip and read this in the PDS "You must also take with you whichever of the following documents is needed to verify your eligibility for this cover:
• copies of your eligible credit card account statement or credit card receipt to confirm your eligibility for the insurance; and/or
• a copy of the letter/statement/email confirming the redemption
of your Commonwealth Awards points through the Commonwealth Awards Program in full or part payment for your return overseas travel ticket(s)."

Doesn't that indicate that there is some spend on the card nee
Once you register, they email out a policy document confirming your cover so don't believe any spend is required

Once you register, they email out a policy document confirming your cover so don't believe any spend is required

I was under hte impression that this was their main sales point,

however if the PDS says this then I dont know which one to believe

I hate it how these insurance policies are so stupidly complicated'

I was under hte impression that this was their main sales point,

however if the PDS says this then I dont know which one to believe

I hate it how these insurance policies are so stupidly complicated'

I activated a policy yesterday. Don't need to purchase anything. The PDS of March 2106 says:

"Your Base Cover is what you receive just by being a cardholderand includes cover for Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance andOverseas Emergency Medical & Hospital Expenses. Please note that ifyou or your spouse are aged 80 years or older restrictions apply, butyou can find the full details on page 8.
Your Activated Policy incorporates all the remaining Travel Insurancebenefits, but may only be accessed by ‘Activation’ which is doneonline, via NetBank or the CommBank App, and requires you toanswer some questions about your trip. You can find the full list ofActivated Policy benefits on pages 46 to 58. "

I activated a policy yesterday. Don't need to purchase anything. The PDS of March 2106 says:

"Your Base Cover is what you receive just by being a cardholderand includes cover for Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance andOverseas Emergency Medical & Hospital Expenses. Please note that ifyou or your spouse are aged 80 years or older restrictions apply, butyou can find the full details on page 8.
Your Activated Policy incorporates all the remaining Travel Insurancebenefits, but may only be accessed by ‘Activation’ which is doneonline, via NetBank or the CommBank App, and requires you toanswer some questions about your trip. You can find the full list ofActivated Policy benefits on pages 46 to 58. "

thtas great to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back