Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Cancelling Diners Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
939
Points
10
Having transferred out all of my Diners rewards points the other week I rang up today to cancel the card.

I was asked for the reasons why and I quoted:

1) level of acceptance
2) no longer any opportunity to transfer points to United Airlines
3) the need to pay a surcharge if wanting to pay the bill by internet banking.

I was offered a reward of 1.5 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months but I said that I already had that with other cards. I was then offered 2 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months.

Given that the card fee is not due until late October I said "why not":)

I have every intention to cancel the card before the due date but if they continue with the offer of 2 points per dollar and agree to waive the renewal fee I might change my mind;)
 

smithym

Intern
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
89
Points
0
Diners always do this when you try to cancel it. I caught on to this a while ago after reading about this in another thread. I have contacted them a few times to tell them I want to cancel it and get the usuall 2 points per dollar for a few months. Last month I had a 18K stamp duty bill to pay, which I was able to pay on diners, so I decided to ring up and cancel it, again, to get the bonus points offer.I kept on syaing NO I want to cancel it and they eventually offered me 4 points per dollar after about 10mins. This was the easiest 64000 QF points I have earned:D . I wonder if they will catch on at all, I think not!
 

kyle

Established Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
1,141
Points
400
May I ask how you managed to pay stamp duty with Diners? I thought most govt agencies only accepted MC and Visa? :confused:
 

kyle

Established Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
1,141
Points
400
Your solicitor is good. I would have thought that most solicitors would require a direct chq payment for the stamp duty to the state revenue office.
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
939
Points
10
smithym said:
Diners always do this when you try to cancel it. I caught on to this a while ago after reading about this in another thread. I have contacted them a few times to tell them I want to cancel it and get the usuall 2 points per dollar for a few months. Last month I had a 18K stamp duty bill to pay, which I was able to pay on diners, so I decided to ring up and cancel it, again, to get the bonus points offer.I kept on syaing NO I want to cancel it and they eventually offered me 4 points per dollar after about 10mins. This was the easiest 64000 QF points I have earned:D . I wonder if they will catch on at all, I think not!
Hopefully when I call up in October to cancel again they'll try a similar offering but this time I'll push for 4 points per dollar.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Hmm - I had a diners card with my previous employer that was a personal liability card. I was meant to cancel it when I changed jobs but there were a bunch of direct debits I didnt get round to cancelling so I havent cancelled the card yet. Renewal fee is paid to next may so I might just think about pushing this button before cancelling....
 
Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

coco50

Active Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
932
Points
10
Qantas
LT Silver
cssaus said:
Having transferred out all of my Diners rewards points the other week I rang up today to cancel the card.

I was asked for the reasons why and I quoted:

1) level of acceptance
2) no longer any opportunity to transfer points to United Airlines
3) the need to pay a surcharge if wanting to pay the bill by internet banking.

I was offered a reward of 1.5 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months but I said that I already had that with other cards. I was then offered 2 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months.

Given that the card fee is not due until late October I said "why not":)

I have every intention to cancel the card before the due date but if they continue with the offer of 2 points per dollar and agree to waive the renewal fee I might change my mind;)
Last week I rang Diners to cancel my card because I want to consolidate to one card. I was told that someone would contact me in the next two business days. This hadn't happened this a.m. so I rang again and was put through the same procedure as cssaus. I was initially offered 2 points per$1 spent and when I insisted on cancelling they agreed to waive the annual fee for next year. They said that even though I had cut up the cards last week they would send me replacement cards. I relented and said OK. They will send me a letter confirming this:D
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
939
Points
10
Robert Barlow said:
Last week I rang Diners to cancel my card because I want to consolidate to one card. I was told that someone would contact me in the next two business days. This hadn't happened this a.m. so I rang again and was put through the same procedure as cssaus. I was initially offered 2 points per$1 spent and when I insisted on cancelling they agreed to waive the annual fee for next year. They said that even though I had cut up the cards last week they would send me replacement cards. I relented and said OK. They will send me a letter confirming this:D
Good on you.

Diners are obviously desperate to retain their customer base.
 

coco50

Active Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
932
Points
10
Qantas
LT Silver
cssaus

I wouldn't have even considered relenting if it hadn't been for your post. Thanks very much for the tip. My wife tells me that there was a segment on the current affairs programs last night about just this issue. I feel that consumers have to be aggressive in this area and negotiate the best deals they can
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
939
Points
10
Robert Barlow said:
cssaus

I wouldn't have even considered relenting if it hadn't been for your post. Thanks very much for the tip. My wife tells me that there was a segment on the current affairs programs last night about just this issue. I feel that consumers have to be aggressive in this area and negotiate the best deals they can
I saw the report on last nites Current Affair. I wouldn't be surprised that the call centres for the banks and credit card companies are going to be overwhelmed today:D
 

Smithy789

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
46
Points
10
I called to cancel my card today, and accepted their offer - after a week of haggling - of 5,000 points plus 2 points per dollar spent for the next three months. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they didn't have any more to give.

Note that Diner's are presently offering new business card diners club holders 3 points per dollar spent - which equals 3 frequent flyer points with Qantas, with no annual fee or rewards membership in the first year.

I pointed out to them the irony of them offering better deals to obtain new clients than to retain existing clients. Nothing doing.

Anyway, I expect to sign up for the business card to get the 3:1 offer for the next three months, as well as keep the 5,000 points retention offer.:)

A satisfactory result all in all.

Smithy
 

coco50

Active Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
932
Points
10
Qantas
LT Silver
Finally cancelled my DC card in November this yeay. Hadn't used it for months. When I rang to cancel, I stated this and to each question and inducement to keep the card I just replied: "I wish to cancel my card" Eventually my request was granted with the proviso - "You can reinstate your card at any time in the next six months with no loss of points"

Next in the saga - Two weeks later I get a DC statement which shows that I had a balance of -$4700.00. That's right - they owed me $4700 according to the statement. I rang them and it took me a long time to convince them that:

(a) They didn't owe me any money and
(b) I didn't owe them any money

I'll bet that isn't the end of it.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,784
Points
840
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Robert Barlow said:
Next in the saga - Two weeks later I get a DC statement which shows that I had a balance of -$4700.00. That's right - they owed me $4700 according to the statement. I rang them and it took me a long time to convince them that:

(a) They didn't owe me any money and
(b) I didn't owe them any money

I'll bet that isn't the end of it.
Robert Barlow,

I probably would have just let it sit for a month and let them sort it out themselves. Quite some time now since I cancelled my Diners however I full appreciate what you are going through. I'm not sure how they make something so simple so difficult :!:

They really are hopeless. :evil:
 

milno

Newbie
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
3
Points
0
Tried to cancel my Diners this week. After 3 attempts [weekend/public holiday/system down] they eventually got back to me to confirm that I wanted to cancel. When I said that I did want to cancel because of the annual fee ($95) they offered to waive it. I then mentioned that it was also about the better points with Amex - so they offered 2 points per dollar for the next 3 months.

I didn't push for anything more, but am unlikely to use the card much except to get my points balance above the minimum $5k!

Of course, later in the year I will be hit with the $55 rewards program fee. I will be long gone by then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,569
Messages
2,098,560
Members
53,896
Latest member
chop
Top