Cancelling Diners Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Having transferred out all of my Diners rewards points the other week I rang up today to cancel the card.

I was asked for the reasons why and I quoted:

1) level of acceptance
2) no longer any opportunity to transfer points to United Airlines
3) the need to pay a surcharge if wanting to pay the bill by internet banking.

I was offered a reward of 1.5 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months but I said that I already had that with other cards. I was then offered 2 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months.

Given that the card fee is not due until late October I said "why not":)

I have every intention to cancel the card before the due date but if they continue with the offer of 2 points per dollar and agree to waive the renewal fee I might change my mind;)

Diners always do this when you try to cancel it. I caught on to this a while ago after reading about this in another thread. I have contacted them a few times to tell them I want to cancel it and get the usuall 2 points per dollar for a few months. Last month I had a 18K stamp duty bill to pay, which I was able to pay on diners, so I decided to ring up and cancel it, again, to get the bonus points offer.I kept on syaing NO I want to cancel it and they eventually offered me 4 points per dollar after about 10mins. This was the easiest 64000 QF points I have earned:D . I wonder if they will catch on at all, I think not!

May I ask how you managed to pay stamp duty with Diners? I thought most govt agencies only accepted MC and Visa? :confused:

Your solicitor is good. I would have thought that most solicitors would require a direct chq payment for the stamp duty to the state revenue office.

smithym said:
Diners always do this when you try to cancel it. I caught on to this a while ago after reading about this in another thread. I have contacted them a few times to tell them I want to cancel it and get the usuall 2 points per dollar for a few months. Last month I had a 18K stamp duty bill to pay, which I was able to pay on diners, so I decided to ring up and cancel it, again, to get the bonus points offer.I kept on syaing NO I want to cancel it and they eventually offered me 4 points per dollar after about 10mins. This was the easiest 64000 QF points I have earned:D . I wonder if they will catch on at all, I think not!

Hopefully when I call up in October to cancel again they'll try a similar offering but this time I'll push for 4 points per dollar.

Hmm - I had a diners card with my previous employer that was a personal liability card. I was meant to cancel it when I changed jobs but there were a bunch of direct debits I didnt get round to cancelling so I havent cancelled the card yet. Renewal fee is paid to next may so I might just think about pushing this button before cancelling....

cssaus said:
Having transferred out all of my Diners rewards points the other week I rang up today to cancel the card.

I was asked for the reasons why and I quoted:

1) level of acceptance
2) no longer any opportunity to transfer points to United Airlines
3) the need to pay a surcharge if wanting to pay the bill by internet banking.

I was offered a reward of 1.5 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months but I said that I already had that with other cards. I was then offered 2 points for every dollar spent for the next 3 months.

Given that the card fee is not due until late October I said "why not":)

I have every intention to cancel the card before the due date but if they continue with the offer of 2 points per dollar and agree to waive the renewal fee I might change my mind;)

Last week I rang Diners to cancel my card because I want to consolidate to one card. I was told that someone would contact me in the next two business days. This hadn't happened this a.m. so I rang again and was put through the same procedure as cssaus. I was initially offered 2 points per$1 spent and when I insisted on cancelling they agreed to waive the annual fee for next year. They said that even though I had cut up the cards last week they would send me replacement cards. I relented and said OK. They will send me a letter confirming this:D

Robert Barlow said:
Last week I rang Diners to cancel my card because I want to consolidate to one card. I was told that someone would contact me in the next two business days. This hadn't happened this a.m. so I rang again and was put through the same procedure as cssaus. I was initially offered 2 points per$1 spent and when I insisted on cancelling they agreed to waive the annual fee for next year. They said that even though I had cut up the cards last week they would send me replacement cards. I relented and said OK. They will send me a letter confirming this:D

Good on you.

Diners are obviously desperate to retain their customer base.

cssaus

I wouldn't have even considered relenting if it hadn't been for your post. Thanks very much for the tip. My wife tells me that there was a segment on the current affairs programs last night about just this issue. I feel that consumers have to be aggressive in this area and negotiate the best deals they can

Robert Barlow said:
cssaus

I wouldn't have even considered relenting if it hadn't been for your post. Thanks very much for the tip. My wife tells me that there was a segment on the current affairs programs last night about just this issue. I feel that consumers have to be aggressive in this area and negotiate the best deals they can

I saw the report on last nites Current Affair. I wouldn't be surprised that the call centres for the banks and credit card companies are going to be overwhelmed today:D

I called to cancel my card today, and accepted their offer - after a week of haggling - of 5,000 points plus 2 points per dollar spent for the next three months. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they didn't have any more to give.

Note that Diner's are presently offering new business card diners club holders 3 points per dollar spent - which equals 3 frequent flyer points with Qantas, with no annual fee or rewards membership in the first year.

I pointed out to them the irony of them offering better deals to obtain new clients than to retain existing clients. Nothing doing.

Anyway, I expect to sign up for the business card to get the 3:1 offer for the next three months, as well as keep the 5,000 points retention offer.:)

A satisfactory result all in all.

Smithy

Finally cancelled my DC card in November this yeay. Hadn't used it for months. When I rang to cancel, I stated this and to each question and inducement to keep the card I just replied: "I wish to cancel my card" Eventually my request was granted with the proviso - "You can reinstate your card at any time in the next six months with no loss of points"

Next in the saga - Two weeks later I get a DC statement which shows that I had a balance of -$4700.00. That's right - they owed me $4700 according to the statement. I rang them and it took me a long time to convince them that:

(a) They didn't owe me any money and
(b) I didn't owe them any money

I'll bet that isn't the end of it.

Robert Barlow said:
Next in the saga - Two weeks later I get a DC statement which shows that I had a balance of -$4700.00. That's right - they owed me $4700 according to the statement. I rang them and it took me a long time to convince them that:

(a) They didn't owe me any money and
(b) I didn't owe them any money

I'll bet that isn't the end of it.
Robert Barlow,

I probably would have just let it sit for a month and let them sort it out themselves. Quite some time now since I cancelled my Diners however I full appreciate what you are going through. I'm not sure how they make something so simple so difficult :!:

They really are hopeless. :evil:

Tried to cancel my Diners this week. After 3 attempts [weekend/public holiday/system down] they eventually got back to me to confirm that I wanted to cancel. When I said that I did want to cancel because of the annual fee ($95) they offered to waive it. I then mentioned that it was also about the better points with Amex - so they offered 2 points per dollar for the next 3 months.

I didn't push for anything more, but am unlikely to use the card much except to get my points balance above the minimum $5k!

Of course, later in the year I will be hit with the $55 rewards program fee. I will be long gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back