Can I buy something worth $3k, claim bonus points, return the item and then close my credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad1549

Hi all,

As the title asks...

Would it be possible to buy an expensive item worth $3k (with a substantial returns policy), thus claiming the Bonus Qantas Points, then receive those points, then return the $3k item and then cancel my credit card?

Likewise, a similar question... If I bought the item, claimed the points, THEN closed the credit card and tried to return the item, how would I claim the return because I assume the item needs to be credited back to the same card?

Thanks!

Usually, the bonus is not paid for 3 months or so. The best idea is to just pre pay a few things that you’d be paying anway. Such as health ins, rates, tax, electricity, etc.

You can sometimes get away with returning a cheap item and getting a credit on a different cc card, but not sure about a 3K item. What sort of thing are you thinking to buy btw?

Would it be possible to buy an expensive item worth $3k (with a substantial returns policy), thus claiming the Bonus Qantas Points, then receive those points, then return the $3k item and then cancel my credit card?

I dare say this would be against the T&Cs of the credit card (along the lines of, well, I'm not going to say the F word) and even if you got a refund to a different credit card, the original card mob would likely pursue you into your credit rating score.

I'd respectfully suggest to forget the idea.

when you purchase using credit card, the refund must go back to the same card or its replacement. To answer the OP: there is a good chance that the refund is going nowhere once the card has been cancelled.

They will tell you that, but often don’t check which card you are using. But, with an amount of $3000, it may be different, but if the card is closed .... Plus, the OP has to hold the item for 3 months waiting for the bonus, before returning it.

when you purchase using credit card, the refund must go back to the same card or its replacement. To answer the OP: there is a good chance that the refund is going nowhere once the card has been cancelled.

I’m probably a bit old fashioned, but to me this is just plain old theft.
I’m sure you would have a different perspective if it was you on the receiving end.
I’m surprised anyone here would condone this act, let alone advise on how best to go about it, I don’t care if it is a Bank you’re trying to deceive here either.
But like I said, it’s probably just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back