Can anyone figure this out? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Can anyone figure this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus_flyer

Established Member
I know someone who recently had points posted to their account that weren't theirs. Ok, simple mistake - probably happens quite a bit. BUT, the person who should have got the points lives in the same household. At no time was the FF number of the person who actually got the points provided.

The scenario... A mother stayed with a QF partner hotel the other week, the daughter got the points. The mother made her own booking and does not even know the daughter's FF number.

This one has really got my baffled.

Lindsay, NM - put your thinking caps on! :D

robertz

odoherty said:
I know someone who recently had points posted to their account that weren't theirs. Ok, simple mistake - probably happens quite a bit. BUT, the person who should have got the points lives in the same household. At no time was the FF number of the person who actually got the points provided.

The scenario... A mother stayed with a QF partner hotel the other week, the daughter got the points. The mother made her own booking and does not even know the daughter's FF number.

This one has really got my baffled.

Lindsay, NM - put your thinking caps on! :D
I would think the daughter has stayed at that property or chain before.
They pulled up the surname and address and matched it up.
Her QFF was in the system from a provious stay.

By chance does the daughter and mother have the same first name initial?

Thats my guess.

Rob

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'll agree with robertz description.

Even the same suburb can cause problems. The same issue happens quite a bit in hotels and is dicussed in various hotel loyalty forums at times.

NM

Flights
My Map
Yes, hotels maintain their own customer profile database and if they frecall the details and it seems to match they often don't recheck all the details. So if the surname and address matches, the hotel agent may have just assumed it was the same person as the original profile.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
I'll go with everybody's positions so far....very feasible points raised for the mis-post.

Was it beneficial to the receiver of the points (and not detrimental to the non-receiver) for the mistaken points posting. If so, why bother advising QF to get it changed?

aus_flyer

Established Member
All good ideas, but none apply!

The daughter has never stayed at the actual hotel and has never stayed at the hotel chain elsewhere.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Hmmm.

Ok this becomes a tough one!

My new answers:

1). Daughter and Mother use the same computer. Browser cached (or otherwise stored) the FF number and pasted it into a similarly named field on a later website.

2) Mother swapped cards with daughter at some stage and mistakenly entered in the incorrect FF number.

3) Maybe the hotel chain sent through the points but had a data validation error. A human looked at the problem and found the match that they thought was correct and credited the points there.

Can't see this being a computer error. There has to be some human involvement somewhere for this to happen...

QF WP

Flights
My Map
I admit defeat early...then again, I'm not an IT person, so wouldn't even begin to try and work out possible scenarios...

NM

Flights
My Map
Lindsay Wilson said:
I admit defeat early...then again, I'm not an IT person, so wouldn't even begin to try and work out possible scenarios...
Just blame the 'puter. Its a fair cop :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonb