Business upgrades - How do you get one

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Fruitbat, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Newbie

Feb 8, 2006
    Hi all,

I am very new to this site and apologise if I am asking a silly question.

I have just started a new job and fly on average 2 to 3 times per month. My tickets are always full economy price and I am a silver QC member.

My question is, how do you get an upgrade to Business Class. Does Qantas just automatically upgrade you or do you need to be extremely nice at check in and ask for an upgrade.

I flew Dar to Ade this morning on QF082 (A330) and business class was only 50% full.

Cheers
    Jason

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    You really need to pay for business class, use FF miles or be v lucky on an oversold flight

You are unlikely to get much in the way of upgrades otherwise

Dave

3. cpl

cpl Intern

Nov 30, 2004
    Australia
    sure? then you might consider paying the difference to business every now and then, resulting in far more points and status credits and leading to more upgrade opportunities

4. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Qantas only give "free" upgrades if economy is oversold and they need to make space, or in other very limited circumstances.

Priority is given in order of status:
    Chairmans Lounge :arrow: Platinum :arrow: Gold :arrow: Silver et al

To really give yourself a chance, you need to be Platinum with an expensive economy ticket.

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Be very very lucky.

On many occassions economy cabin almost full but business class cabin empty. You don't get something for nothing!

6. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Flying at what will be a busy time in the economy section can help. During school holidays, before a long weekend.