Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisements.  More…

Booking Flights on AA US Web Site

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sweens, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sweens

sweens Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Sydney
    Recently I tried to book some internal US flights on the AA.com web site(can offer great value if you book ahead) and after confirming the flights I found that they no longer accept Australian Credit cards.

They accept Cr cards from many other counties inc Caribbean, South American & European but alas not Australia.

I phoned their international help desk but was told to book through a TA which normally means extra cost.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

I booked and paid for flights earlier this year on Southwest with no problem. I not sure if this Cr Card procedure is normal with US airlines.

Has anyone else struck this problem ... is there a solution out there somewhere?

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Standard problem with AA in the US. You can do it by phoning AA in the UK
    Dave

3. CO BNE

CO BNE Junior Member

Feb 20, 2005
    You can book at Expedia using your CC.

4. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    You can also book through AA SYD on 1300 650 747. Ask to speak to Rita or Sandra (two CSA's who I have found very helpful).

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Indeed you can, plus the flight will be billed in AUD , so no currency conversion fees.

Just don't use them to book domestic AU flights, for that AA UK is the way to go

as an aside, AA US will take furren credit cards from AAdvantage Gold and higher members

Dave

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Is that like taking candy from a baby?

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I like that. :? :? :?

Ring AA SYD to book US flights.

Ring AA UK to book AU flights.

How do I book European flights? Ring AA India? :?

8. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe they all go to the same call centre :!: :oops:

In India :p :p :p

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I like that. :? :? :?

Ring AA SYD to book US flights.

Ring AA UK to book AU flights.

How do I book European flights? Ring AA India? :?[/quote]

AA UK is great if u dislike paying gst on au domestics

Dave

10. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    I book all my domestic USA flights on aa.com.It tells you to confirm at an aa office within 24 hours.
    So ring sydney aa office and fax them down a copy of my credit card after giving them my confirmation number.Certainly much cheaper than using a TA.

11. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Soon we will all be migrating to India to get a job. :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

12. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Unless you are able to reclaim GST, you would be better off contacting UK ( with a calling card it costs all of 5c a minute or less ) since AA in AU has to charge GST whilst other locations do not.

Dave

13. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Dont pay GST on purchases booked through aa.com as it is merely paying for an american purchase.I get the rate as stated on aa.com.Last purchase was LGA-MCO return at $US125.50 quoted on aa.com-paid $A170 on my credit card when paid through sydney.AA sydney office do the conversion so you save on credit card conversion fee-so probably cheaper than if you could pay with your card directly on aa.com.

14. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    True indeed . When I was replying I must have seen the domestic bit but not the USA bit in the original post.

You wouldn't pay GST for that flight since it is not a domestic Australian flight. It does make a difference for Au domestics. If you have an Australian domestic flight issued by AA in Australia they will apply the UO tax. If it is issued outside of Australia, no UO tax applies

The rules for the UO tax are

NAME: Goods and Services Tax
    CODE: UO
    AMOUNT: 10 per cent Goods and Services Tax is applicable to the total value * of all
    Tickets, MCO’s, PTA's for wholly domestic travel, ie. including any (other) ticket
    taxes shown thereon.
    * round to the nearest 1cent (see W1-8 domestic ticketing example)
    EXEMPTIONS: 1. Domestic travel in conjunction with international air journeys and shown on the
    same ticket.
    2. Domestic travel sold in conjunction with international air travel but on a
    separate ticket where the domestic ticket is cross referenced to the international
    ticket and the domestic ticket is issued prior to the commencement of the
    international journey.
    3. Domestic travel ticketed outside Australia.
    4. Not applicable to the QR tax for LDH – Lord Howe Island
    5. Infants.

Dave