BNE-CDG itinerary: BA Business or QF First? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

BNE-CDG itinerary: BA Business or QF First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsa

Junior Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
11
May seem a silly question, but bear with me:

Background:
I'm going BNE-CDG (Paris) return next month.
I'll get a business class flight.
I'm QFF Gold status. This trip will retain that.
I need to do some work and I need some sleep
I don't really like the QF Business seats for sleeping (the angle doesn't really work for me)

What are your (more experienced) thoughts on the following options:
  1. BNE-SIN (QF51), then SIN-LHR (QF9), then LHR-CDG: Good because I can (hopefully) upgrade the SIN-LHR leg to First on points, but bad because I don't like the Business seats on the BNE-SIN leg. ALso the Airbus on that leg often has electrical problems ... my laptop has run out of power on that flight before
  2. BNE-SYD (domestic), SYD-LHR (BA16), then LHR-CDG: Good because the BA Business seats are flat the whole way through, but bad becasue I can't upgrade (can I??) with QFF points. I did like First (on my one time I upgraded)
  3. BNE-SYD (domestic), SYD-LHR (QF), then LHR-CDG: Upgrade the whole SYD-LHR, but then I use alot of points, and if I don;'t get the upgrade, I'm "stuck" on an angled bed the whole way.
  4. BNE-SIN (QF51), then SIN-LHR (BA12), then LHR-CDG: Similar to #1, but I get a flat seat for the longer leg (although in Business, not First), but I don't have to spend any points.
Also: what are the chances of an upgrade to First with QF? Can I do anything to maximise this?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom

Edit: supplementary question: I have 2 lonely upgrade credits remaining: how can I use these (I didn't think I could combine them with points)??
 
Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
No you can't use QFF points to upgrade on BA.

Isn't there also an AF codeshare SIN-CDG which would save transitting at LHR? I don't know how their longhaul cabin compares though.

I presume you wont be sleeping the whole way or working the whole way. That would suggest a natural choice to me.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Here are some of my thoughts:

mrsa said:
1. BNE-SIN (QF51), then SIN-LHR (QF9), then LHR-CDG: Good because I can (hopefully) upgrade the SIN-LHR leg to First on points, but bad because I don't like the Business seats on the BNE-SIN leg. ALso the Airbus on that leg often has electrical problems ... my laptop has run out of power on that flight before
The QF51 flight is a daytime flight, so sleeping on a slope should not be an issue. I personally like the QF seats for sitting on a daytime flight much better than the BA seats for sitting.

I have found that many of the Skybed in-seat power problems are actually just a poor/unreliable connection when using an Aussie plug. Try using a UK or US plus adapter on the end of your Aussie plug when you use the Skybed in-seat power. I have found that is much more reliable.
mrsa said:
2. BNE-SYD (domestic), SYD-LHR (BA16), then LHR-CDG: Good because the BA Business seats are flat the whole way through, but bad becasue I can't upgrade (can I??) with QFF points. I did like First (on my one time I upgraded)
Again note that the leg to SIN is a daytime flight, so for me it is more important to have a comfortable sitting seat and in-seat power (see my note above regarding power reliability) that it is to have a horozontal bed.

Of course, the SIN-LHR leg of those flights is overnight, so sleep comfort is more important. If you find BA NCW better for sleeping, you have to choose between risking an F upgrade waitlist verses confirming a BA NCW seat/bed.
mrsa said:

3. BNE-SYD (domestic), SYD-LHR (QF), then LHR-CDG: Upgrade the whole SYD-LHR, but then I use alot of points, and if I don;'t get the upgrade, I'm "stuck" on an angled bed the whole way.
You make the point yourself. Only you can value the risk involved. You can enhance your upgrade chances by joining the waitlist as soon as possible and choose a date that is unlikely to be filled with paying and high-status passengers. I recommend flying mid-week if you can. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday departures tend to be busier with paying premium cabin passengers and high-status FF passengers who can make it hard for a Gold to secure an upgrade.
mrsa said:
4. BNE-SIN (QF51), then SIN-LHR (BA12), then LHR-CDG: Similar to #1, but I get a flat seat for the longer leg (although in Business, not First), but I don't have to spend any points.
Again not that QF51 is daytime and hence good in a Skybed with AVOD and 110V in-seat power. BA12 then assures you of a BA bed.
mrsa said:
Also: what are the chances of an upgrade to First with QF? Can I do anything to maximise this?

Anything else I should consider?
I am heading to Europe later this week and chose to use QF29 MEL-HKG-LHR for a few reasons. The overnight segment of this flight is first, then the HKG-LHR is daytime. So the long portion is a daytime flight. This flight also seems to have less premium cabin bookings so I am hoping a better chance for upgrade to F. But if I don't get it, I at least have a good sitting seat for the long daytime flight where I will make use of the in-seat power etc.

This flight also arrives into LHR mid-afternoon, making a nice connection to CDG for a late afternoon arrival to find your hotel and get a good night's sleep in a real bed, which in my experience is always going to be better than any aircraft seat - QF, BA, Business or First Class.
mrsa said:
Edit: supplementary question: I have 2 lonely upgrade credits remaining: how can I use these (I didn't think I could combine them with points)??
They are not going to be of any use on this journey as you need a minimum of 3 for any of the sectors being considered.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
mrsa said:
Edit: supplementary question: I have 2 lonely upgrade credits remaining: how can I use these (I didn't think I could combine them with points)??
Unfortunately UCs are not combinable with points. I wish they were as I have 2 remaining also. With just 2 you can only use them to upgrade within australia, and trans-tasman. Depending on length of flight its enough for 1-way (trans-tasman and PER flights) or return upgrade (east coast flights).
 

mrsa

Junior Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
11
Thanks to both Kiwi Flyer and NM for replies/information.
The AF website shows the business bed at about the same recline angle as the QF bed.
I'll have a little ponder about the options in light of above.
Thanks
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
mrsa said:
I'll have a little ponder about the options in light of above.
Thanks
I guess the start of my trip is similar, in that I need to be in FRA. So I chose to travel BNE-MEL and spend the afternoon/evening there with my work colleagues, and then take QF29 to LHR with an afternoon connection to FRA. I will then have dinner with my German counterpart, get a good night's sleep in a hotel, then spend the following day with him in FRA.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,616
mrsa,

I would advise getting your TA to ensure you are seated on the A,B or C side when in Club on the LHR-CDG as this side only has 2 seats (I'm not sure but I think the second seat is labeled as C, ie there is no B). Also dont plan to get any work done, as the plane barely levels out before it starts the decent. Also try and book using QF code share numbers as the points are better than the BA code flights.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
There should only be a difference in points in economy, not for business?

I admit it has been a while since I flew BA shorthaul but I thought it was 3-2 not 2-3 - ie you want the right hand side to be less squishy.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
Depending on whether you are constrained by $$ or corporate policy of "no first", I would suggest you have a look at some of the specials with Cathay.

There's a mixed class special for $9689 (see Bestflights.com.au) out of Brisbane (or Sydney would be better). Fly to HKG in J and then onto LHR in F.

You can always purchase the LHR-CDG flight separately, and very cheaply.

That price is less than a BA return J fare.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,616
Kiwi Flyer said:
There should only be a difference in points in economy, not for business?

I admit it has been a while since I flew BA shorthaul but I thought it was 3-2 not 2-3 - ie you want the right hand side to be less squishy.
29 APR 06 BA 317 BUSINESS 28APR06 PARIS/LONDON (HEATHROW) 215 54 215 500
40
25 APR 06 QF 3411 BUSINESS 25APR06 LONDON (HEATHROW)/PARIS 215 54 215 1,250
40
The guaranteed minimum was 1250 for QF and only 500 for BA.

On these dates the RHS of plane facing cockpit was 3 seats.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
There should only be a difference in points in economy, not for business?
On a long flight, that would be the case. But for short flight the min points guarantee kicks in for the QF codeshare.
Kiwi Flyer said:
I admit it has been a while since I flew BA shorthaul but I thought it was 3-2 not 2-3 - ie you want the right hand side to be less squishy.
Definitely the left side (A/C) is the 2 seat side, the right side (DEF) is the three seat side.

If using the BA flight number, just go to ba.com and use Manage My Bookings to select your own seat. On my upcoming LHR-FRA flight I was pre-allocated 3D and used MMB on ba.com to change that to 3A. All dones nicely on-line.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,616
NM said:
If using the BA flight number, just go to ba.com and use Manage My Bookings to select your own seat. On my upcoming LHR-FRA flight I was pre-allocated 3D and used MMB on ba.com to change that to 3A. All dones nicely on-line.
I will remember that for next time, once bitten.:mad:
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
Have you considered the flexibility availablewith most J fares? Also how full are the flights?

My thoughts are that if the flights are fairly open, you could confirm on the QF flight SIN-LHR and then waitlist for the upgrade. If the waitlist clears, you are fine. If it doesn't, switch to the BA flight.

This is assuming the fare allows changes, and most J fares do.

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,251
Messages
1,873,677
Members
49,109
Latest member
chewyourchow
Top