Best options for Defacto upgrade

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Iggy, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Iggy

Iggy Newbie

Apr 23, 2014
    Hi there. New user here. Sorry if this has been discussed, but given the recent changes to the Qantas FF program I wanted to ask...

I am in a defacto relationship with my girlfriend and am interested in trying to upgrade our flights to Europe later in the year. she has very few points and I have a lot so i am trying to figure out the best way to do this successfully. Can i upgrade both of us using my points if I book the flights at the same time? i.e., on the same booking?

or would it be better for me to transfer some of my points to her so she can upgrade her ticket? Given we will be on the same booking, is it even possible to do it individually?

any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Iggy

2. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    If you have enough points in your account, there is no need to transfer points across, however keep in mind that points upgrades are a lottery for international flights.

3. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    You should be able to put in a request for both of you on the same booking

4. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Assuming you are both the same FF status with Qantas then the easiest way is to book the tickets together and request the upgrade from your account.

5. Iggy

Iggy Newbie

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks Tom

Princess Fiona - I am a Gold member and she is Bronze as she has only signed up recently. Will this affect our chances?

6. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    If you book separately you might have a problem with you being upgraded and she not.If on same booking it will be both or nothing.My wife(WP) can get me upgraded with her even when I was NB and still that I am PS and flying with my AA number in the booking.

7. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Yep, totally agree. Best to come from the Gold account holder.