Best Credit Card for Enrich | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best Credit Card for Enrich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuklear_Axis

Newbie
Joined
Jan 31, 2007
Messages
3
Okay so my work are sending me to France (transferring in KL) for 6 weeks for a training course. And then back again through KL as well.

I will be flying Malaysian airlines, (no choice in that).

So I signed up for Enrich, which I should get at least a 1000 bonus points for doing that today which is good with their current offer.

But I want to get myself a credit card, especially for using in Paris, but also back here in Perth so I can build up my points.

So which is the best credit card out there, for Enrich. With decently low fees of course.

As far as I can tell the Malaysia website mentions American Express, and Westpac cards. But I need a bit more detail than that. Westpac does seem to be mentioning bonus points when signing up as well, going up in the card type.

Cheers in advance
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
As far as I know, Amex is the only Australian CC that can transfer to MH Enrich (at a rate of 2 Amex MR points for 1 Enrich point).
 

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
3,319
MAS are a Velocity partner so you could credit the points to Velocity and get a Velocity Visa or American Express (or both). Your return to Paris and spending on the card should be enough to get you some kind of decent reward (both the Visa and American Express are fee free for the first year, and potentially longer)
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
IIRC Amex is giving 15% bonus on transfers to MH Enrich. Not sure when that promo ends.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,409
Flights
My Map
G'day, Nuklear_Axis , welcome to AFF ...

AFAIK, NM is correct; however you must be enrolled in the Ascent MR program..
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
825
Any of the Westpac Altitude cards will allow you to transfer to Enrich. I do not know the conversion rate, but for QF it is 2:1.
There is a promotion at the moment where you get bonus points for card activation, 5K/10K/15K depending on which colour you choose. Note if you get an Amex companion card you get 3 Altitude points per $ Amex spend.
 

Nuklear_Axis

Newbie
Joined
Jan 31, 2007
Messages
3
Altair said:
Any of the Westpac Altitude cards will allow you to transfer to Enrich. I do not know the conversion rate, but for QF it is 2:1.
There is a promotion at the moment where you get bonus points for card activation, 5K/10K/15K depending on which colour you choose. Note if you get an Amex companion card you get 3 Altitude points per $ Amex spend.
Yes I was reading about that on the Westpac website. Those bonus points would come in VERY handy in getting my up to my first reward that is for sure.

Any idea on what the difference between the colours is? In terms of fees and rates and the like.

So let me see if I understand how this works, you get two linked credit cards, and people try and use the AMEX one as much as possible because of the higher conversion. But AMEX isn't always accepted, which is why they have the other card, so even though you don't get as much, you still get some points.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
For your case you would want linked, but as a generalisation most people with a largish spend on CC's have a high earn card Amex usually but sometimes diners, then another card Visa/Mastercard for when you can't use Amex/Diners.

Evan
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
825
Nuklear_Axis said:
Yes I was reading about that on the Westpac website. Those bonus points would come in VERY handy in getting my up to my first reward that is for sure.

Any idea on what the difference between the colours is? In terms of fees and rates and the like.

So let me see if I understand how this works, you get two linked credit cards, and people try and use the AMEX one as much as possible because of the higher conversion. But AMEX isn't always accepted, which is why they have the other card, so even though you don't get as much, you still get some points.
OK what happens is you get a Altitude Mastercard, Master because they give the banks a better payback, which is your primary card ie. it will be used for linking your other WBC accounts for ATM access, card number used for paying off your credit card account. You then tick the option of getting an AMEX companion card, additional annual fee, which gives you extra points when you use it, AMEX pays the banks a lot more so they can offer the extra points. You will get one statement that will cover both cards and secondary card holders as well so you make one payment.
I found that there are many places that accept AMEX and hardly use other card, WBC through Altitude also give lots of options to redeem points and they often have sales as well, I got some really good items after trawling through their quarterly catalogue.
Regarding colours Standard (Blue) 5K, Gold 10K and Platinum 15K. The website has all the information you just need to click and read.;)
Finally this thread may now be better placed in the Credit Card section, Westpac Altitude Rewards
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Any of the Westpac Altitude cards will allow you to transfer to Enrich. I do not know the conversion rate, but for QF it is 2:1.
There is a promotion at the moment where you get bonus points for card activation, 5K/10K/15K depending on which colour you choose. Note if you get an Amex companion card you get 3 Altitude points per $ Amex spend.

The conversion rate to Enrich is (or at least was last time I checked) the same as that for QF. That is 2 altitude point to 1 Enrich point.
 

auriga

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
811
Nuklear_Axis said:
Okay so my work are sending me to France (transferring in KL) for 6 weeks for a training course. And then back again through KL as well.

I will be flying Malaysian airlines, (no choice in that).

So I signed up for Enrich, which I should get at least a 1000 bonus points for doing that today which is good with their current offer.

But I want to get myself a credit card, especially for using in Paris, but also back here in Perth so I can build up my points.

So which is the best credit card out there, for Enrich. With decently low fees of course.

As far as I can tell the Malaysia website mentions American Express, and Westpac cards. But I need a bit more detail than that. Westpac does seem to be mentioning bonus points when signing up as well, going up in the card type.

Cheers in advance
another option is to credit the malaysian airline flight to virgin atlantic flying club. amex points can be converted to flying club as well.
 

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
5,707
Altair said:
. Note if you get an Amex companion card you get 3 Altitude points per $ Amex spend.
mmmmm which is an earn rate of 1.5 effectively...is this for both people??? Is it for all cards...or just the plat?
 

Nuklear_Axis

Newbie
Joined
Jan 31, 2007
Messages
3
At the moment I'm really considering Danielribo's idea about putting the points towards Velocity and grabbing a NAB credit card for the trip.

I'm not very impressed with MA domestic flights for Australia, and would have to spend bigtime points to get a international flight.

Where as if I go with Velocity I'll pretty much have a free flight to say Broome ready for my holidays this year just based from this one trip.

Which doesn't sound too bad to me.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
825
lovetravellingoz said:
mmmmm which is an earn rate of 1.5 effectively...is this for both people??? Is it for all cards...or just the plat?
Westpac Altitude Visa or Mastercard (Standard/Gold/Platinum): 1 Altitude point per $ spend.
Westpac Altitude Amex Companion card (Standard/Gold): 2 Altitude points per $ spend.
Westpac Altitude Amex Companion card (Platinum): 3 Altitude points per $ spend.
Conversion to QF is 1 FP for every 2 Altitude points.
According to oz_mark MA is 1 Enrich point for every 2 Altitude points.
I do not know what the NZ conversion is.
(Edit for spelling)
 
Last edited:

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Westpac Altitude Visa or Mastercard (Standard/Gold/Platinum): 1 Altitude point per $ spend.
Westpac Altitude Amex Companion card (Standard/Gold): 2 Altitude points per $ spend.
Westpac Altitude Amex Companion card (Platinum): 3 Altitude points per $ spend.
Conversion to QF is 1 FP for every 2 Altitude points.
According to oz_mark MA is 1 Enrich point for every 2 Altitude points.
I do not know what the NZ covnersion is.
According to the Altitude Terms and Conditions (Westpac Internet -Altitude Terms and Conditions)



For Altitude points earned on or after
9 March 2004, 1 Altitude point converts
to 0.5 frequent flyer points in the frequent
flyer programs of Qantas and Malaysia
Airlines, and 160 Altitude points convert to
1 Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,608
Messages
1,884,499
Members
49,495
Latest member
Namik
Top