Answered - BA A380 parked at MEL (northern end) for some time? [No - a different EK daily] | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Answered BA A380 parked at MEL (northern end) for some time? [No - a different EK daily]

jaseblenner

Intern
Unless I'm going crazy, I believe there's been a British Airways A380 parked at the northern end of a runway at MEL since (at least) September.

Does anyone know why?

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Are you sure it's BA? There's regularly Emirate's A380's parked around the place during the day these days.

AviatorInsight

Unless I'm going crazy, I believe there's been a British Airways A380 parked at the northern end of a runway at MEL since (at least) September.

Does anyone know why?
Unless I’m going crazy, it was an Emirates 380 this morning. They park them there during the day to free up bays.

leadman

Flights
My Map
The EK 380 has been sitting out by itself, surrounded by those orange cones since at least 22 Dec when i flew back in. I did four flights out of MEL in late Dec/Jan and as far i can tell it had not moved.

dajop

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
Up to a couple of days ago, there was only 50 minutes a day when EK did not have an A380 on the ground at MEL. In fact, EK had two A380's in MEL for 17 hrs a day! They need to find somewhere to park them., and in recent history I almost always recall EK A380 parked at north end of the airport.

EK 408/9 arrives at 23:20 departs at 06:00
EK 404/5 arrives at 00:20 departs at 18:45
EK 406/7 arrives at 06:30 departs at 22:30

EK 404/5 has this week switched back to 777 :(, so you will now see a 777 at the airport for 18 hrs instead...

Himeno

Established Member

Does anyone know why?
BA have 12 A380s. They are all fully used for flights from LHR to BOS, ORD, HKG, JNB, LAX, MIA, SFO, SIN and YVR. They do maintenance at LHR and MNL. They have no reason to send one to a port they don't normally fly to, and have it sit there for months. The airlines that generally fly A380s to MEL are QF, EK, SQ, EY and QR.

woodborer

The EK 380 has been sitting out by itself, surrounded by those orange cones since at least 22 Dec when i flew back in. I did four flights out of MEL in late Dec/Jan and as far i can tell it had not moved.
It's not the same A380 every day.

jaseblenner

Intern
Thanks for the answers guys, you're all correct - it was an EK plane I saw and likely hasn't been the same one each time!

mannej

I could have sworn there was a similar thread not to long ago but can't seem to find it.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnwilliams