Avalons epic fail for advertising

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by markis10, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    [​IMG]

AN organisation that works to combat domestic violence contacted me to let me know about a pretty awful ad campaign by Avalon Airport, a billboard slogan saying ‘Fly domestic without having one’ yesterday.

Given domestic violence has made for a string of devastating headlines in the last couple of months, I tweeted that the airport needed a new advertising copywriter because using ‘domestics’ as an eye-catching tag line was tasteless — let alone appallingly timed.
    For all of those deeply affected by Victoria’s wave of domestic crimes, it a is slogan that could be not just offensive but deeply painful. How are they meant to feel when they see ‘domestics’ turned into a jokey tag line?

Avalon Airport recalls domestic advertising fail | News.com.au

2. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    It's a tad insensitive

3. harvyk

harvyk Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Whilst I see where your coming from, I guess I at first glance saw it in the lighter sense of the word domestic. In other words a disagreement between two people who live under the same roof, sometimes heated, but always resolvable.

Domestic violence on the other hand is of course never acceptable, but when it is a case of domestic violence, I would always append the word violence in there, rather than simply stating it was a domestic.

So in my mind, this ad is actually ok, just my 2c...

4. here2go

here2go Active Member

Mar 11, 2012
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Not having been to Avalon, perhaps "A dull terminal means cheap flights" might be more apt

5. Simo

Simo Established Member

May 22, 2011
    Sunny Coast
    Yep,

Just someone looking a bit to deep into a slogan....

6. VHOEJ

VHOEJ Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Pretty poor in taste but I honestly thought it was a subtle dig at SYD at first - with Mascot airport doing a lot to prevent a second airport to be built at Badgerys or whereever. Very left field view of it but good reason for it to be taken down

7. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    While it may not be in good taste, I think society generally needs to accept a bit more free speech for what it is without running to mummy.

Matt