Availability when there is none. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Availability when there is none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
Had a strange thing happen this morning. Needed to get next few segments of my DONE4 dated/validated. Anyway KVS was showing J8 C1? D0 (seat map showed atleast 11 seats available) for 12 April, so resigned myself that I would have to fly 2 days later (D9). Anyway down at the Qantas Travel Centre there were no problems in booking me in for the 12th.

Just wondering if there is often availability when online systems are showing none? Or if I was just very lucky with a single D spot opening up in the 30min or so being checking KVS and arriving at QF Travel Centre.

Thanks.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,648
Flights
My Map
While it is possible that a spot opened up, different online systems often show different availabilities, so what the QF travel centre see and what KVS see can be different.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,789
Flights
My Map
oz_mark said:
While it is possible that a spot opened up, different online systems often show different availabilities, so what the QF travel centre see and what KVS see can be different.
And its often different availability for different markets. The on-line systems generally show availability to the US market, which may be different to the local market.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,255
Flights
My Map
NM said:
oz_mark said:
While it is possible that a spot opened up, different online systems often show different availabilities, so what the QF travel centre see and what KVS see can be different.
And its often different availability for different markets. The on-line systems generally show availability to the US market, which may be different to the local market.
Yep, the opposite happened to me last year.

ExpertFlyer/AOW were both showing D6 for a flight I wanted MEL-LHR, but CX in CMB could not book it. Ended up on SYD-LHR with a red e-deal to SYD.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,789
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Yep, the opposite happened to me last year.

ExpertFlyer/AOW were both showing D6 for a flight I wanted MEL-LHR, but CX in CMB could not book it. Ended up on SYD-LHR with a red e-deal to SYD.
Generally in this case it is worth waitlisting as there are obviously seats available and when the review the waitlists there is a very good chance it will clear - but sometimes it can take a while.

I had the same thing on a JFK-LHR flight. The flight I wanted was showing D4 on the on-line systems, but QF could not book it. So I booked the next flight and waitlisted the one I wanted. Waitlist cleared about 1 week before departure. It was showing D available all the time.
 

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
Good advice NM, will remember for future usage. I seem to recall you mentioning your problem Serfty, unfortunately you couldn't have even waitlist as different cities :(
Mal.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,255
Flights
My Map
cabbage74 said:
Good advice NM, will remember for future usage. I seem to recall you mentioning your problem Serfty, unfortunately you couldn't have even waitlist as different cities :(
Mal.
Yep. BTW, It was not that hard a choice as I had an ulterior motive in that I far prefer to transit in HKG at the Wing or the Pier than SIN (fine QP that it is notwithstanding....).

More FF points too... 8)
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
One other suggestion with availability in different markets, is to contact the airline and see if they can check the availability in the another market.

I know BA can see the availability in Australia and London, and often something will be waitlisted in SYD but available in LON. They have been able to book things that QF have not!

So always worth trying to call the airline in a different country if the online tools are showing availability in the class you require.

D P G
 

duffshot

Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
121
OT I know but has anyone mentioned to you DPG that you look remarkably like NM used to?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,209
Messages
1,872,022
Members
49,041
Latest member
pton1310
Top