Australian state border restrictions

Flashback

Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
11,729
Points
1,560
SA opening borders on 23 November. International arrivals need to do 7 days quarantine. No mention if that is home based. At 90% vaccination of OVER 12's 🤬 then most restrictions gone. That is presumed to be by Xmas.
Interesting, so with NT's recent announcement that just leaves...... WA? At this stage, it looks like my trip isn't going ahead because Mrs FB's work had a change in policy which means she can't work from HQ now, plus I think HQ will be challenging for both of us especially given all the quarantine we've put up with over the last 18 months. I'd put our trip at 49% chance of happening, 51% chance at not happening. %'s likely to change over the course of the next week or two I'd say.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,474
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
Interesting, so with NT's recent announcement that just leaves...... WA? At this stage, it looks like my trip isn't going ahead because Mrs FB's work had a change in policy which means she can't work from HQ now, plus I think HQ will be challenging for both of us especially given all the quarantine we've put up with over the last 18 months. I'd put our trip at 49% chance of happening, 51% chance at not happening. %'s likely to change over the course of the next week or two I'd say.

Unless something significant changes, I can't see the stance in WA changing before Christmas.
 

mviy

Established Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,580
Points
815
Wow. There’s a slim(?) chance I might be able to go to SA in November! I think I may still wait till next year. Will need to think about it.
 

exceladdict

Established Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2014
Messages
2,930
Points
695
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Unless something significant changes, I can't see the stance in WA changing before Christmas.
I think we will actually see an increase in restrictions before it gets looser such as: (link to WA classifications)
  • quarantine for all unvaccinated travellers (even from very low risk jurisdictions)
  • introduction of test before departure/on arrival (even from very low risk jurisdictions)
  • Possibly even moving states to 'low risk' or medium risk when they open their borders, whether or not there is evidence of local spread
I am hoping that the government may introduce the first two as an alternative to the third, but I don't think it's likely. That way you could still travel to QLD TAS etc and have a reasonable expectation of getting home.
 
Last edited:

antycbr

Established Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
1,798
Points
715
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
  • Possibly even moving states to 'low risk' or medium risk when they open their borders, whether or not there is evidence of local spread
I am hoping that the government may introduce the first two as an alternative to the third, but I don't think it's likely. That way you could still travel to QLD TAS etc and have a reasonable expectation of getting home.
If I lived in WA i'd be far too nervous to book anything once the other jurisdictions open up to the "covid-riddled" states.

Reasonable expectation has been proven to be wrong too many times for people to have any faith. Several thousand Queenslanders had reasonable expectation too... but they're in campgrounds in Murwillumbah trying to get home. Accessing homeless benefits offered by the NSW Government.

Also, when is NSW getting reclassified from zombie apocalypse bodies piling up in the street extreme risk as we no longer meet McGowan's stated criteria? How about it Mark?
 
Possibly the best subscription service on the planet, designed specially by whisky lovers for whisky lovers. Join the club to grow your collection and drink great whisky.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

jakeseven7

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
8,815
Solutions
4
Points
1,145
Interesting, so with NT's recent announcement that just leaves...... WA? At this stage, it looks like my trip isn't going ahead because Mrs FB's work had a change in policy which means she can't work from HQ now, plus I think HQ will be challenging for both of us especially given all the quarantine we've put up with over the last 18 months. I'd put our trip at 49% chance of happening, 51% chance at not happening. %'s likely to change over the course of the next week or two I'd say.

Yes everyone is abandoning poor slow old WA 😂

Everyone has joined the Christmas Alliance apart from the NT.

I still think they will backflip and open before Xmas… tide is well and truly turning.
 

N860CR

Established Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
4,692
Points
840
Yes everyone is abandoning poor slow old WA 😂

Everyone has joined the Christmas Alliance apart from the NT.

I still think they will backflip and open before Xmas.

He’s backed himself into a bad corner. If he doesn’t open, he’ll need to close to all arrivals from anywhere.
 

MooTime

Active Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2019
Messages
874
Points
370
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
He’s backed himself into a bad corner. If he doesn’t open, he’ll need to close to all arrivals from anywhere.
And move house, he's even had some security issues.
I read his home address & mobile number had been published online.

The camp out west turning into the wild west.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,474
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
I think we will actually see an increase in restrictions before it gets looser such as: (link to WA classifications)
  • quarantine for all unvaccinated travellers (even from very low risk jurisdictions)
  • introduction of test before departure/on arrival (even from very low risk jurisdictions)
  • Possibly even moving states to 'low risk' or medium risk when they open their borders, whether or not there is evidence of local spread
I am hoping that the government may introduce the first two as an alternative to the third, but I don't think it's likely. That way you could still travel to QLD TAS etc and have a reasonable expectation of getting home.

The unvaccinated won't be allowed in (or so the rule published as an 'administrative error' said.
 

Must...Fly!

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
6,279
Points
990
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Sorry have I missed something?

Has the NT joined the Christmas Alliance?
Christmas alliance no, long term alliance yes.


I particularly found some of his comments interesting;

He said that strict COVID protocols on international flights meant the risk could be safely managed.

"If anything international [arrivals] might be a slightly safer prospect for the Northern Territory," he said.

...

Mr Gunner said that data from Commonwealth repatriation flights showed a 1 per cent infectivity rate from international arrivals to the NT.

"We're managing a 1 per cent risk here," he said.
 

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
4,408
Solutions
1
Points
690
Does anyone think that WA Premier might allow a 7-day rule with 7-day home quarantine for interstate travel only for fully vaccinated travellers (and kids regardless of vaccination status under 16)??? Ie if you leave WA for up to 7 days (but remain in Australia), you have to do 7-days home quarantine.

I was wondering about the WA Premier's options for say Xmas (so starting from start of school holidays 17/12)...

Or perceived as too risky with international travel opening up on 1 November to fully vaccinated?
 

Must...Fly!

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
6,279
Points
990
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
McGowan has backed himself in to a corner. He made some bizarre threats to SA if they opened to NSW/VIC and will have to follow through unless he can find a way to spin his vaccine rollout in to a "it's ok we can open early" policy.

Which I can't see happening. Only yesterday he said there was no chance that VIC/NSW border would be open at Christmas.

I have been watching his Twitter account today, so far there has yet to be a walk back of opening to QLD at midnight. Yet.
 

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
4,408
Solutions
1
Points
690
Fair enough.

Well its almost WA on their own with all the recent moves by Tas, Qld, SA and NT........so I was considering the risk of getting COVID perspective - WA Premier might be OK for fully vaccinated traveller +/- unvaccinated kids and an easier form of quarantine (test on arrival + days 7) - might be enough to reduce the risk of getting COVID and bringing it back to WA.

School holidays are like six weeks with many work holidays coinciding for the first 2-3 weeks.
 

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Staff online

Top