Australian Airlines bites the dust!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aus_flyer, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Two airlines in two months!
    Who's next?

More here: http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,18776751-462,00.html

2. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005

Don't think it was so much as a failure as a victim of Jetstars success and of other uncontrollable circumstances (e.g. Bali, SARS)

It served its purpose to reduce the groups losses on unprofitable routes that Qantas was having trouble making any money on.

Pity though I liked the look of the planes and the staff were friendly, but looking forward to seeing 2 class Jetstar where you can earn points unlike Australian which was always annoying.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This is not unexpected news. Many of us have been wondering where AO was going to fit into the Qantas Group with the birth of JQ International. And this seems to make business sense to me. AO was always a full-service airline established to have a lower operating cost. They can lower the costs further with the JQ International model.

4. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
  5. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Having read the details on the QF website, it appears to be mainly a change of paint, uniforms, and flight schedules/numbers.

6. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This bit was interesting:

Does this mean that Australian Airlines will be leasing the planes back to Qantas (together with crew etc?)

7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Quite possibly. Part of the reason AO was created was to provide the ability to start new labour contracts with the staff. So by wet-leasing from AO, the staff still get paid as AO staff at AO rates, but the logo on the aircraft if QF. This is the same as the JetConnect Flights using aircraft and crews based on NZ.

If the existing AO staff were moved into the QF labour fold, they would have to pay them the same rates and conditions as other QF staff performing the same task.

8. macca172

macca172 Junior Member

Oct 31, 2005
    SYD
    Jetstar International

I dont want to blow my own trumpet so to speak, however I predicted on the QFF forum the day Jetstar announced that they were going international, the demise of Australian Airlines. I will now take a punt and further predict that the name Jetstar will be a marketing disaster when it comes to international routes. I would stongly suggest that Qantas have a good look at the name Jetstar and change it to something that will appease the international Australian travelling public.
    One of many reasons as I see it, Jetstar has had very bad publicity vide the media and the public in general. Listen to any talk back radio and when it comes to Jetstar conversation, it is always to the negative. In simple terms, mud sticks!
    Ozjet, failed because they went for a nitch market and there is no room in Australian RPT aviation for a nitch market. If I had been the CEO of Ozjet, I would have gone back to the old "standby" ticketing system. Ballpark, $150 no frills each way, one class, MEL-SYD/SYD-MEL. First in best dressed, no web sales, counter sales only at the point of departure.

9. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Re: Jetstar International

You did indeed, macca172. Well done.

I agree. And they only have themselves to blame for this because they've thrown the baby out witht the bathwater in terms of customer service. Unless they address this they will tarnish any other name they care to use.

10. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I hope it is Jetstar and Allan Joyce to follow, as quickly as possible, from the bottom of my heart.

Two months ago it was all one happy family now AO is the black sheep.

11. macca172

macca172 Junior Member

Oct 31, 2005
    SYD
    Yada,

Yes mate we have the same train of thought so to speak. If I was Geoff Dixon, I "wouldnt" being dumping the words "Australian Airlines" In fact I be doing exactly the opposite, I would be dumping the "Jetstar" brand. The word "Australia" sells, there is no doubt about that at all.
    As for current aircraft paint schemes, the current Jetstar colours always reminds me of the morning after techni-colour yawn! The Australian Airlines colour scheme, although somewhat better, could be better defined. With that said, when Mr and Mrs Joe Average, log on or go to their local travel agent to buy a ticket, do you hear them "say or ask "what colour is the aircraft"? Of course not, all they are interested in is the price and on 90% of occasions the first time they see the colour of the bird is then they are at the departure lounge.
    I consider that most so called airline marketing guru's have lost to plot when it comes to aircraft paint schemes, my advice to them....."KISS"!

12. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I suggest that maybe they're too embarrassed to use the AO name in place of Jetstar at this time. They probably don't want to totally denigrate the AO brand name down to the Jetstar level :!:

13. RTWFF

RTWFF Intern

Aug 12, 2005
    "Jetstar" or ...?

QF staff routinely refer to Jetstar as GeoffStar

14. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Blind Freddie could have told you this was happening ages ago. no surprise at all.

15. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Blind Freddie doesn't seem to be registered on this board.

16. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe he uses a pseudonym. :idea: :idea:

17. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I think he is registered because odoherty knows him as well but he uses a different spelling.

Blind freddy

18. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    No Blind freddy is a different guy. You have to watch those two. it's easy to get them mixed up :wink:

19. Hi there

Will this be a phased introduction of QF services on to AO routes?

I have a CNS-SIN leg booked for May20, hope they put a 2 class 767 on the service, and put OW elites in the forward cabin with Y service :)

Cheers
    DJ737

20. Wunala Dreaming

Mar 14, 2006
    Brisbane
    Your CNS-SIN flight will be a standard AO flight...

SAT 01 JUL is when all AO services convert to QF and 2-Class 25J/204Y 763s. You'll still get the wonderful AO F/As, who are quite honestly, the most professional/friendly/caring employees in the QF Group.