Auckland-Sydney Points Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by roryg, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. roryg

roryg Junior Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'm travelling from Auckland to Sydney next year with QF in Economy - S class. Apparently on a 767. I haven't flown QF internationally for many years, preferring BA's WT+. I'm QCLife and SilverFF.

Given that I've never flown on a 767 nor in QF Business, I'm thinking of using some points to upgrade (actually, the thought process was more along the lines of "Buggerit, why not?"). I believe that, on that leg, it's not "real" International Business, but certainly better than Domestic.

I realise that YMMV has great effect here, but I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' opinions on whether or not the upgrade would be "worth it".

Thanks,

Rory

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    You will hopefully get an international 767. If you check the seat map you can tell since if it has a 1-2-2 layout it is a proper international aircraft

It will cost you 16,000 points to upgrade

Dave

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #3 serfty, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
    Beware! Qantas have taken to using Domestically configured 763's across the Ditch.

Check the J seat map; if its rows are configured 2x2x2 then you'll have a domestically configured 763 with millenium seats and main screen IFE. If it's 1x2x2 it's Dreamtime seats with Personal IFE.

If you only have www.checkmytrip.com and a WHY seatmap, look at row 23; if it has a 23D & 23E but no 23F then it's International with Dreamtime; any other then it domestic.

4. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Barely worth it if you get a "domestic" 767, otherwise marginally worth it.

Trans-Tas J is not much better than domestic J.

Food will be ok, but again nothing more special than a long domestic flight.

If you get a domestic 767, the crew will be very apologetic and may give you a personal DVD player, but that may not be for every flight.

I wonder why Jetstar can offer DVD type players on every Trans-Tas flight but Qantas can't? Hmmmm.....

5. roryg

roryg Junior Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Melbourne
    Many thanks for the responses, folks.

It looks as though it's an International. Row 23 has seats only at D, E, J and K according to www.checkmytrip.com. While www.expertflyer.com is showing the same in Y, and J as being 1-2-2. Currently, I'm in row 25.

I've got a few weeks before I'm allowed to make a decision.

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The configs change often so keep a look out.

You can request that upgrade now; You can CANCEL the request up to two days before the flight at no charge. The earlier you request an upgrade the nearer the front of the queue you would be.

NB No points will be deducted unless the upgrade come through within 24 hours of the flight.

7. roryg

roryg Junior Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the advice, Serfty, but the flight isn't until March, so the "door" doesn't open until December.

And I'll put the request in as soon as I can (as you said, I can always cancel it), as I do like to be at the front of a queue ... rather than at the back.

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Agree no better than QF domestic business.

Depending on day of week and flight time, your chances of getting an upgrade may be zero or reasonable.

9. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    For 16,000 points I would be waitlisting anyway. J on a domestic config 767 is still a huge step up from Y.