Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisements.  Moreā€¦

Article: Qantas holds off on fleet purchase

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Already posted by NM in the QF forum

3. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    So I see. It wasn't there when I started posting. Oh well... Admin: feel free to delete this thread.

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think we must have been posting concurrently! Great minds think alike! or maybe its a case of "fools never differ"? I was tossing up which forum to post it in :p . At least we chose different ones 8) .

5. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    :lol: :lol: indeed!

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hmm, indeed what?? Concurrency ... Great minds ... or ... Fools :?:

7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Now back to the topic 8)

Lets hope we don't have to wait until the NEXT board meeting before we are able to remove our suspenders :roll: . This is worse than the dreaded "to be continued" half way through a Get Smart episode.

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    The old play off "the other side has come up with a last minute better offer" trick.

9. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Worked for me when I bought a car, so why not when buying up to 100 aircraft?

10. needaholiday

needaholiday Intern

Aug 29, 2005
    Sydney Aust.
    Just announced on Bloomberg...Qantas Airways Limited said it Jetstar discount carrier will start flying international services by January 2007. The board of Qantas will meet Dec. 14 to discuss it's fleet orders, according to a statement released to the ASX this morning.

11. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    One of the biggest points in the ASX announcements (in my opinion) is that QF FF points and Status Credits will be earned on all JetFlex and StarClass fares on JetStar International services.

If that is the case, then StarClass (premium economy) may not be a bad thing for those of use not permitted business class travel to these destinations. Of course that depends on the seat and pitch offered in StarClass. They claim it will be similar to Qantas Domestic Business Class seat, so I am assuming Millennium style seating. Also Qantas Club access for QC members. So not all bad.

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    ASX announcements are only available on the day they are published. By tomorrow that link will not work. However, the same information is likely to be posted to the Qantas.com.au News pages in the next few days.

13. needaholiday

needaholiday Intern

Aug 29, 2005
    Sydney Aust.
    Good tip - didn't realise the announcements were temporary.

14. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I was thinking a bit of both i.e. great minds & fools! :mrgreen:

Back OT... it is a very interesting development. Even though Dixon has said that Jetstar "...would not compete on profitable routes currently flown by Qantas" and that it "...would probably never be more than 20 per cent of the size of Qantas", I find it difficult to see how it won't cannibalise QF mainline to some extent. Assuming they do not fly the same routes, pax will still find circuitous ways to get to specific destinations that might otherwise have been flown direct on QF.

I am sure Dixon was being totally honest when he said "Our whole DNA is to make sure that Qantas, the Qantas group, but particularly the Qantas brand is very successful,", but I feel it will be difficult for him to partition QF from the effect of Jetstar. I am sure the group will profit, but QF as a brand will probably suffer.

15. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

According to the Qantas website there is a special meeting next week